Luxenberg of NY, NY: examples and patterns

One of the rarest 1st Pattern Luxenbergs. Great find! With sivler at around $28 an ounce and that wing valued around 600.00 you do the math!

:w00t:

It are stories like this one that keeps me motivated to look through heaps of old junk!

What a great find and a great save!! :thumbsup:

armillary_journey
One of the rarest 1st Pattern Luxenbergs. Great find! With sivler at around $28 an ounce and that wing valued around 600.00 you do the math!

:lol: I just obtained my first Lux recently, I was amazed at how heavy it was. 21.42 oz. That's about right!

armillary_journey

Lamar, very nice wing. Aren't you glad you didn't melt it? You'd be sick now. :ermm:

That's a great start to your new wing collection. But if you're selling it for a reasonable

price, let me know please.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
armillary_journey

LUX IS A HIGH QUALITY WING. THE CONCERN IS HOW DOES A DIE

STRUCK PIECE END UP WITH THE HORIZONTAL LINES IN THE TOP

OF THE SHIELD AS YOU SEE THEM. THEN THE VERTICAL

LINES IN THE SHIELD AREN'T STRAIGHT EITHER.

ANYONE KNOW WHAT WOULD MAKE THE LINES IN THE SHIELD OF A

DIESTRUCK PIECE LOOK THIS WAY?

I HAVE AN ORBER PILOT THAT LOOKS BASICALLY THE SAME WAY.

HOPEFULLY THIS POST WILL YIELD AN ANSWER THAT CAN BE

APPLIED TO BOTH OF THEM. I HAVE SOME VERY HIGH RES. PICS

THIS SITE DOESN'T SUPPORT, IF YOU WANT A BETTER LOOK SEND

ME YOUR EMAIL ADD. TO [email protected]

I'LL SEND THEM TO YOU.

THANKS.

post-18040-1305916806.jpg

post-18040-1305916831.jpg

post-18040-1305916852.jpg

post-18040-1305916866.jpg

post-18040-1305916909.jpg

I can think of several possibilities;

1) the lines in question were not perfectly formed in the die in the first place,

2) die wear and/or reworking have resulted in loss of detail

3) the wing in question is a casting and the areas of concern are a result of imperfect reproduction.

Given the high degree of hand finishing apparent on the edges of this type (ie the shear marks have been buffed off), it can be hard to determine a really good casting from an original.

Regards

Mike

armillary_journey
Closer pic of shield

I have a third pattern Lux, the wing is well worn

however the shield has straight unbroken lines,

more of what you'd expect in a quality die struck

piece. Hard to find a vertical shear mark on the

edge of this one, if any.

armillary_journey
I can think of several possibilities;

1) the lines in question were not perfectly formed in the die in the first place,

2) die wear and/or reworking have resulted in loss of detail

3) the wing in question is a casting and the areas of concern are a result of imperfect reproduction.

Given the high degree of hand finishing apparent on the edges of this type (ie the shear marks have been buffed off), it can be hard to determine a really good casting from an original.

Regards

Mike

I GOT AN EMAIL TODAY FROM A VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE WING PERSON. MIKE I THINK YOU WERE RIGHT ON WITH ITEM ONE AND TWO IN YOUR POST, HERE IS AN EXCERPT FROM THE EMAIL:

Don't forget these things were hand engraved and these are some pretty fine lines. I can't even draw a straight line let alone carve one into a die. Most manufacturers will have some waviness to their shields. I know it's a good tell for cast wings but you have to look at the badge in total and not just the wavy lines. If the lines are struck deeply and wavy then you're fine. If they fade in and out then it's most likely cast.

As to why the wings are in different conditions you have to look at die wear when they're making the wing and normal wear and tear/polishing by the pilot who wore them.

Your wings are 100% good.

ANY OTHER OBSRVATIONS ARE WELCOME, HOWEVER I AM NOW 100% CONVINCED THESE LUX'S ARE OK. I COULDN'T HAVE HEARD IT FROM A BETTER SOURCE. THANK YOU.

• 1 month later...
Harrythepicker

This pair of Luxenberg AAF Officer Lapel wings were foung along with a grouping that I recently purchased. Note that they are slightly different in construction. Are these as scarce as the pilot wings? Someone should like them for sure. Thanks..............Harry C

post-10695-1309099450.jpg

Very nice! :thumbsup: I see more of the insignia made by them then I do the wings but I could not say anything on the rarity of them other then you don't see them as often as many of the other makers.

SilverWings

Hi,

Just out of curiosity, would you be willing to sell the pair. I have a slightly mismatched pair and I am hoping to find "exact" mates.

Thanks for your consideration.

This pair of Luxenberg AAF Officer Lapel wings were foung along with a grouping that I recently purchased. Note that they are slightly different in construction. Are these as scarce as the pilot wings? Someone should like them for sure. Thanks..............Harry C

• 5 months later...

As I'm new to posting on the forums I thought I'd share this beautiful Luxenberg of New York City Pinback Pilot's Wing which I have had for over 30 years. It came from a jewelry shop at Hampton Beach, NH in the 1980's and at the time I wasn't even collecting military but it was so well made I bought it for probably $40.00. Now it's the centerpiece of my wings collection and I've never seen another one as nice. post-17286-1324427192.jpgpost-17286-1324427204.jpgpost-85-1168738258.jpgpost-17286-1324427227.jpg

post-17286-1324427216.jpg

A beauty! The King of WWII aviation badges! I bought one out of the window of an antique shop on Madison Avenue in the 70s for $16.00! I had a wing collector buddy describe it by saying , "It looks like the front bumper of a 1952 Buick!" Bobgee