WWII Jeep Jerry can bracket

Bob Hudson

This is as close as I've come to owning a military vehicle: the jerry can/fuel can bracket. There have been variations on this over the years, but from what I could determine, the key to a true World War II issue bracket is this number stamped in small letters on the edge of the bracket: 42-B-22590. The stamping is found in the area circled in white in the photo. It's easy to miss. Brackets with this number are officially called Bracket, Drum, inflammable liquid (gasoline), steel welded, complete w/strap and were first used in June 1943. Notice that the strap is attached. I believe later models had a detachable strap and in fact when I got this I also got a strap which I believe is used just for that (from what I have read, the detachable jerry can straps are usually about 54 inches long).

jerry.jpg

jerrylabel.jpg

BONAFIDE right one Bob..the stock number or any number on the bracket is correct for all WW2 production brackets.

Later ones also "feel" lighter in weight compared to the WW2 ones.....

Nice find....now for the vehicle to attach it oo...... :blink:

Regards

Lloyd

BONAFIDE right one Bob..the stock number or any number on the bracket is correct for all WW2 production brackets.

Later ones also "feel" lighter in weight compared to the WW2 ones.....

Nice find....now for the vehicle to attach it oo...... :blink:

Regards

Lloyd

Here's the strap I got at the same time as the jerry can bracket. It's about 64 inches long. I have not been able to date it, but I would imagine the buckle would be a clue:

jerrystrap.jpg

Now thats a new one to me Bob...the early jerrycan straps had the 2 part swivel and toothed claw buckle attachment..not like that....before going to the later type of slide buckle attachment

is that a D in a diamond like the old Diamond Calk marking on the M1910 Pickmattock head ?

Regards

Lloyd

Now thats a new one to me Bob...the early jerrycan straps had the 2 part swivel and toothed claw buckle attachment..not like that....before going to the later type of slide buckle attachment

is that a D in a diamond like the old Diamond Calk marking on the M1910 Pickmattock head ?

Regards

Lloyd

It's an "S" in a diamond. Then length and width of the strap make it perfect size for a jerry can strap and it for sure it military.

• 1 month later...
That same strap is on my late WW2 US Navy back pack radio Type MAW. It sort of resembles the BC-1000 radio.

I got the strap along with a lot of other stuff from the estate of a Navy Seabee so maybe it is Navy issue.

The buckle is made of aluminum, correct?

Looking at it i would swear it's aluminum, but I just did a test with a magnet, and it's steel.

I tested 2 of my buckles. One is all aluminum, and the other is steel with an aluminum "flapper". Here's a picture of the MAW back pack radio and the strap with the buckle. As far as I can tell so far, this radio came out in late 1945 and was updated to the MAW-1 in 1950. I sure would like to find a manual for it. It was carried on the standard Quartermaster packboard. I have 2 quick-release straps on there just until I fix the original strap.

MVC_124S.JPG

MVC_125S.JPG

• 3 years later...

HI, RE THE MYSTERY STRAP- I BOUGHT A COUPLE OF THESE A WHILE AGO AT A MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW HERE IN ENGLAND, THEY WERE BRAND NEW IN THEIR BROWN WRAPPERS, THE LABEL STATED THEY WERE FOR USE WITH LITTERS(STRETCHERS IN BRITISH ARMY). OBVIOUSLY THEY WERE FOR STRAPPING THE PATIENT TO THE LITTER SO HE DIDNT ROLL OFF, A VERY USEFULL STRAP, HOPE THIS IS OF HELP.

Can you post pictures of the labels? I'd like to know if they are Army or Navy issue.

Hi robinb, i took one strap out of wrapper to examine it, the other is still wrapped,but its hidden among a load of stuff i`ve had in store but give me time and i`ll dig it out and photograph it, Lee.

• 2 months later...

As requested some pictures of the straps and wrapping in question. Sorry its taken so long I've finally found them am ong a load of stuff I've been storing. Hope this is of use.

post-3320-1295620451.jpgpost-3320-1295620440.jpg