Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Profile Information

  • Location
    Ohio, USA

Recent Profile Visitors

392 profile views
  1. The story of the Jones and Melton families converge in the Civil War One additional thing I discovered about these two medals is that the story of these two families converged during the Civil War. William Martin Jones, Jr’s father, William Senior, served in the Civil War with the 122nd New York Volunteer Infantry, assigned to the Army of the Potomac. He enlisted in 1862, and beginning with Antietam he was in every major engagement and battle in the east and was present at Lee’s surrender at Appomattox Court House in April 1865. Eston Eurel Eston’s grandfather was Daniel B. Melton, a Confederate Veteran. Daniel enlisted with the “Twigg Guards,” in May 1861, which became Company I of the 6th Georgia Volunteer Infantry Regiment, Confederate States Army. The 6th Georgia served on and off with Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia between 1862 and 1864. Daniel Melton - Confederate Army, saw action on the same battlefields as William Jones Senior – Union Army, at Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Petersburg Siege, and Cold Harbor. Daniel Melton and the 6th Georgia served in the Carolinas Campaign of 1865. He was severely wounded in the right leg at Bentonville, NC in March, 1865, and was recuperating in a Confederate military hospital when the Confederate Army commanded by Joe Johnston surrendered to Sherman on April 18.
  2. Medal #30620, issued to Eston Eurel Melton, of Macon, GA. Eston Eurel Melton was born on April 15, 1900, the son of Gustavus and Otes Melton. Eston’s parents had some education and made sure that Eston went to school and learned to read and write. Eston had quit school and was working as a clerk in Macon when he enlisted in Company B, Second Georgia Infantry, Georgia National Guard, in February of 1915. He lied about his age and claimed to be 19 yrs old when he enlisted. The Second Georgia Infantry was mustered into federal service on July 2, 1916 at Camp Harris on the northwest portion of Macon, so Eston didn’t have to travel far from his home to join up with his unit. He was promoted to corporal in August just before the unit moved by rail to the Texas border with Mexico. Melton appears to have had a discipline problem because he was busted to private in November 1916. He received a promotion to Private 1st Class in February 1917, then Bugler later the same month. Information about Georgia’s NG troops on the Mexican border is sparse, but it appears that Melton’s unit returned home in March or April, 1917. In August the 42nd “Rainbow” Division was established to serve in France with the AEF. The 42nd Division was deliberately organized from National Guard units from all over the country, with an emphasis on units that had served on the Mexican border. As a result Companies B, C, and F of the Second Georgia Infantry were reorganized into the 151st Machine Gun Battalion, 84th Infantry Regiment, and assigned to the 42nd Division. They traveled to Camp Mills on Long Island, NY at the end of August. Eston Melton, now age 17, was with Company B again as they joined the 42nd Division. He was promoted to corporal once more on August 23, 1917 just as his unit left Macon, GA. Melton served with the 151st Machine Gun Battalion of the 42nd Division through February 1918, when he transferred to the HQ Detachment of the 84th Regiment. At the time of his transfer he was busted back to private a second time. He returned home to the United States with the HQ detachment of the 84th Regiment in April, 1919. In addition to his Mexican border service, Eston E. Melton was credited with serving in these WW1 campaigns: Lorraine, Champagne, Aisne-Marne, St. Mihiel, and Meuse-Argonne. Melton returned to Macon, GA after the war and served as a clerk and bookkeeper for various businesses. He relocated to Polk County, Florida in the 1930s where he became the manager of an Ice plant. Eston died in Florida on July 30, 1978, and is buried in Wildwood Cemetery in the city of Bartow, Polk County, Florida. Photo below: This photo was taken of soldiers from Eston Melton's 2nd Georgia Infantry while they were stationed on the Mexican border.
  3. Medal #17686, issued to William Martin Jones, Jr, of Rochester, NY. When I began researching William M. Jones, Jr I quickly discovered that his story of service was a bit unusual. William Jones Jr was born on December 20, 1874 to parents William (senior) and Gertrude Jones. William was the middle of three children. His father became a lawyer after the Civil War, and both William and his younger brother followed in their father’s footsteps. The two brothers worked in their father’s law office after they graduated from law school and took over the business when he died in 1906. William enlisted in the New York National Guard’s Third Infantry in 1913 at the age of 39. It’s intriguing to guess what caused William to enlist at this point in his life. He reenlisted in 1916 at the age of 42, and was promoted to the rank of corporal. Two months later the New York National Guard was called up for federal service on the Mexican Border. William’s National Guard unit moved to State Camp, near Peekskill, for three weeks of intensive training before deployment to Texas. William Jones and the Third Infantry left for Texas on July 13, 1916 and arrived at the border on July 15. They were stationed at a tiny border village called Pharr, TX, in Hildalgo County. They cleared sagebrush and cacti and began construction of a military camp. They also established a firing range about 2 miles SE of Pharr where the citizen soldiers trained in small arms practice. In the first week of September the Third Tennessee Infantry arrived to relieve the Third NY Infantry. William Jones’ unit was among the first to leave TX and return home (Sept 1916). William Jones returned to his law practice in Rochester, raised a family, and participated in various civic organizations and events in Rochester during his later life. He died on January 13, 1960 at the age of 85 and is buried at Mount Hope Cemetery in Rochester.
  4. I bought these two Mexican Service Medals over the Christmas holiday last December. They came from two different sellers. Neither are mint specimens but both medals are numbered and have names identified with each, which makes them just as good as mint examples in my mind. Interestingly, one medal is suspended showing the wrong (reverse) side as seen from the front.
  5. Everything I've read on the arrowhead device indicates it was awarded to Army and Air Corps/Air Force personnel, but no mention of award to Navy personnel. So even though he and his ship were on the beach under fire just a day into the invasion it doesn't appear he qualified for the device.
  6. You're welcome! I enjoy research and putting named to military artifacts like this. Oh, his Navy serial number was 554 83 33
  7. I hate autocorrect! He was from Silver Bow County. I believe that the city of Butte is located there.
  8. Here you go: George Junior Trevenna, born Jan 19, 1926, and died Sept 25, 2019 at age 93. Born in Silver Now County, Montana and also died there. He enlisted or was drafted in Jan 1944. Served his entire military career aboard LST 819. The ship was commissioned in Nov 1944 and sailed for the Pacific from New Orleans, LA. Participated in the Okinawa campaign where the ship came under fire from Japanese air attacks. Also served in the occupation of Japan before the ship returned home. George worked as an electrician with Montana Power & Light after World War 2
  9. Here is William's WW1 draft card. At the time he filled this out he was employed at the Stegmiller Mine located at Princeton, Mich, and owned by the Oliver Mining Co.. He listed himself as a laborer at the mine, and still single/not married.
  10. Hi Jacob, I can shed some light on the WW1 pamphlet marked 31st Division found in your 2nd great grandfather's WW1 tunic pocket. He actually was assigned to the 31st Division sometime after he was drafted. And he moved overseas to France with the Headquarters Company, 124th Infantry Regt, 31st Division, in October 1918. After the 31st Division arrived in France it was held as a replacement unit and its soldiers were transferred out to other veteran combat units trying to refill their ranks after suffering losses. That's how your 2nd great-grandfather William M. Lund wound up with the 26th Division. By the way, your 2nd great-grandfather's Army Serial number was 1354591. His overseas travel orders listed his father, your 2nd great-great grandfather as Arat J. Lund. Arat lived at a place called National Mines, Mich, obviously the site of a company mine in an unincorporated part of Tilden Township, in Marquette County, Upper Pennisula of Michigan. I have a friend from Marquette, and from what I remember visiting up there there's not much up there even today. Below: Here's a copy of the US Army Transportation list for your William M Lund's movement overseas to France in October 1918. There's a close-up attachment that show's William's name and information better (third down on list), and a smaller attachment of the entire page.
  11. Both are officer's caps. The tan cap was worn when summer uniforms were authorized. The darker olive drab (OD) cap was worn with most uniforms other than the tan summer dress.
  12. Nice visor caps. Both are WW2 era style and are correct for WW2 but these continued to be used up to the mid-1950s uniform changes.
  13. Great find! Thanks for sharing it with us.
  14. Really nice group and love the interesting history with it, Mark!
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.