Jump to content


New Members
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. New wallet finds: A bed and entertainment, in Kartoum on his trek across Africa, 6/3/1942. He was traveling in a DC-3 Also, trying to stay out of trouble in Cairo. 7/1942
  2. New find: Max in love with his first airplane and flying, Washington DC. 1939/40 Back of photo, "There's nothing I can do about it" Same photo session, Max with his collar up. Also Max tailored-up for his job at the power plant.
  3. Awesome !!! I as pointed out in my write up of Max’s time in the 71. Max had said that he and Bob were friends, and when Bob said he was volunteering for “overseas” duty, Max volunteered too. I had wondered if they had made the epic trip down and through Africa to Cairo together. When I posted the leopard kilt picture, I wanted to say that Bob is standing next to Max on the left in their stop over in Lagos, and now that I see your picture, I'm going to make the call that they did make the trip together. Max transferred out of the 33 to the USAAF shortly after Bob was lost and Lance Wade was called back to the States. Max looked so young in that picture holding Bob’s shield I thought he was in Canada and missed the 33 on top ! They are most likely in North Africa and possibly Cairo for the shield picture, as that does not look like the desert behind him. Thanks for seeing that detail !
  4. Thanks Randy, That is interesting info! If its 1957, that means he is commuting from Virginia where his family is living. The T-33A jet is an amazing looking flying machine! I have never seen one before! Here are the names on the back of the photo.
  5. George Saint Maur Maxwell Max certainly lived a little. As many fearless young men do, he followed his nose, and his instincts took him along historic pathways. I’m sure he was humbled along the way, and beyond disappointed that he was taken out of the fight by his illness, but that didn't stop him from passing the torch to others, as he became an instructor of young, up-and-coming pilots. That is some of the story I am taking away from his trunk and it’s contents. But there is so much more, as for me it became a living, breathing testament to one young man and one generation’s blind spirit and drive, of bonding comrades and loss, as the names of missing mounted up in the log book, of transformation and survival and the chance to contribute more and help others along their ways. As for the Max I knew - he was man of order and logic, possessing many talents. Even in his 80s he had lightning fast reflexes and better than 20/20 vision. He wrote poetry and had an IQ that was off the charts. He was wonderful with our kids when they were young (they still can recite the lyrics of ‘Cocaine Bill and Morphine Sue’, and some other epic verbal tongue twisters from the 30’s). But despite his given name he was no saint. The St. Maur of old was canonized for walking on water in order to save a fellow monk. I guess surviving any war might be equated to walking on water. Max expected the best from everyone including himself and others, perhaps to a fault. I actually saw him knock himself out with a quick right hook to his own jaw after he accidentally spilled a glass of water. Whatever demons he had before and after the war, he could apparently silence them by flying airplanes and jets. When that privilege was taken away in 1969, he sublimated as best he could by driving powerful cars. He was driving his red Trans Am until he became ill in 2010. He passed away in 2011, just shy of his 94th birthday, and was buried at Arlington Cemetery with full military honors. I would like to leave this part of the story of his trunk with this picture I recently found. It is young, bright eyed Max, training in Canada, posing as the hood ornament of a powerful V8 machine; ready, willing and able to take on all comers. If more information or items are found I will of course post them.
  6. Post war continued: Caine - “George then went into the statistical services field and during the next twenty-five years was responsible for overseeing the installation of computer systems worldwide." Family: Max carried top secret status from 1950, and he was not at liberty to tell his family anything about what he was involved with, while being away for extended periods of time, so there is that. (photo) By late 1956 he was based in Virginia, and worked at the Pentagon, where my wife got the opportunity to try out her pink and black Minnie Mouse roller skates in the ramped halls as a youngster. Over the next decade or so, Max was stationed in Japan, Hawaii, Texas and finally in the Washington DC area at Andrews Airforce Base in Maryland. He applied for the first wave of the astronaut program but was rejected. In Maryland he wrote, designed and implemented the computer data systems at the Data Systems Design Center, Air Force Headquarters in Maryland. The data system which he devised at the Pentagon was implemented in Phase II at 148 airbases all over the world. My understanding is that he was still flying jets around until 1969 when the USAF finally shut him down. That did not go well in the Maxwell household. He retired as a full colonel from the Air Force in 1970 and went to work for Burroughs Computers, where he worked in data systems development from 1970 to 1973. Between 1973 and 1976, he designed and installed the data systems for the Postal Service. After that, in 1976, he went to the Department of Data Systems at the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). He retired in 1987 at the age of 70.” Photos: Secret status Max retiring, 1970
  7. Thanks for the details. It looks like he might have continued to ferry planes cross country, as I found this plane ticket for a later date in 1945. He certainly found an interesting way to stay in motion!
  8. Max’s last flying logs in the book I have are on June 25, 1945 . He does not summarize the page in his usual manner, and his service record entry is left with a dash. It is a bit out of character for him, but there could be many explanations. His 1950 record has him remaining in Florida through March of 46. The war was over and he did not get to fly combat again either in Europe, the Pacific or in Korea. Perhaps it was the malaria? Some time after the war, he bought a plane and briefly tried his hand flying shrimp and cut flowers from Florida to NYC. In 1947 Max left the US Army Air Forces, applied for regular commission in the new US Air Force, and was accepted. Until 1952, he served in Guam, the Philippines and Texas. Sadly I do not have any of his other log books, but I know he flew for the USAF until 1969. From 1952 to1956 he was an instructor at the Command Staff College in Montgomery, Alabama. Photos: Log book flying entry's end, June 25, 1945. Log book record of service end. Max, Florida Nov. 1945. Texas 1951, Max second row 2 from left. Alabama 1953, Max bottom row far right. Alabama 1955, Max back in the center of things. Texas ? 1963 ? jets! - Max top center again. (can anyone date this photo ?)
  9. Thanks for the hat and goggle info ! The lenses do have a date: T.1942.C. Max in Florida Continued: After 9 months of instructing pilots in Florida, in December of 1944, Max suddenly logs a flight in a P-51 from Los Angeles to Oakland, at the same time his log book service record has him in Long Beach, CA. on 12/23/44 Apparently, he is still hoping to see action in the Southwest Pacific. I thought this might have been for possible deployment, but his records don’t hint at that. Instead, his logs have him flying a different P-51 cross-county, twice in 2 weeks. According to a military summary of his activity from 1950 they have him in the hospital at the same time his logs have him flying across the country. We know he was re-hospitalized at some point, but I’m going with his logs as per usual. January11 to 21 he flies a P51 D #167 from LA, with stops in Coolidge Az, Dallas, Atlanta and arriving in Newark, NJ on January 21, 1945. On January 24, he is flying out of LA, arriving into Newark on the 27th, following the same itinerary. He lists his unit as 6th Ferrying Group. Did he try to get an assignment to fight in the Pacific and after it did not work out he took the ferrying assignments? His log starts again on 3/2/1945, back in Venice FL, flying P51’s and is back teaching at the C.C.T.S. *The leather case with a tag from Hillsborough, FL, was filled with post war stuff; navigation maps of the Miami area, jet manuals, records of a plane purchase, military mags, and many leather bound insurance policies. Also shown are the pennies with years from 1923/55, that were apparently sprinkled among the contents of the war trunks every time it was opened. (for good luck?)
  10. Previous to this last month, I was under the impression that he rejoined the 86 in Europe after being treated in Florida but that was not the case. One can only imagine the profound disappointment Max must have felt to be suddenly shipped back to the USA. It must have been crushing! I would imagine he thought he would recover and then get sent back into action, but his relapse and re-hospitalization probably closed the door for that possibility. If any of this was communicated to Philip Caine, he decided not to use it: Caine: “He continued with the 86th through the Sicily and Italian campaigns and in late 1943 returned to the United States. His assignment was to a P-51 Operational Training Unit in Florida, where he remained for the duration of the war.” Max's logs show a little more activity than that, as they have him resuming flying, (3 months after they shut him down in Italy) in Florida on Jan 25, 1944. He is flying P51 A, B and C’s all over the Tampa, and Miami areas, apparently in a teaching capacity. His is stationed at Hillsborough, FL, for 9 months.
  11. He retuned to duty, yes, but unfortunately, according to immediate family, he never fully recovered, and apparently malaria symptoms continued for some time, possibly giving him issues throughout the rest of his military career. I have very few items from his days in 86. His flying cap, 2 sewing kits, with compass, a cross on a chain and his pack of Lucky Strikes filled with zippo striker replacements.
  12. You can see in log photos that his flights after the 16th are very short. He is obviously trying to give it a go, but it is just not working. An anecdote from a relative: “Sometime during the Italian campaign, George contracted malaria. He was rotated home to the base in Florida to recover. While stationed there, he got the chance to drive home to DC to visit family. He asked two of his cousins to drive back with him to Florida. The plan was that his cousins, Mary Elizabeth Taylor and Page Truslow would catch a train back to DC from Florida. On the drive down, George had a wicked relapse of malarial symptoms, and Page ended up driving. Once back at the base, George was hospitalized. Fortunately, the second treatment worked and George fully recovered and returned to duty. “ Potos: Max in-between hospital visits in DC looking a bit peaked Jan. 1944 Max standing next to his sister Wilor, holding her second child. Baby Carol E, the namesake of his plane is standing between them.
  13. 86 squadron continued: On September 9,1943, Max flies his last combat mission. Fate has dealt him a card he could not have anticipated. He came through 138 combat missions and 568 combat hours in the air over the course of 14 months without a scratch. But now, a tiny mosquito puts a stop to everything, as he comes down with malaria. On October 16, he flies for the last time with 86 Squadron. After looking at the minutiae of the daily logs and the map again, in the context of the 14 months Max spent in the 33 and 86, one really gets a sense of how ponderously slow this war was.
  14. 86 squadron continued: Max in front of his 86 squadron accommodations. Assorted desert rats. Max with signature upturned collar, no mustache and his motley American crew sometime between July and October 1943. Crew Chief Sgt.Pulis in shorts. Max in dress, sporting the ring on his right hand , which also showed up in his “Carol-E” photos.
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.