Company F of the Fourth Virginia Infantry was a Suffolk, Virginia National Guard Company and was known as Smith’s Volunteers because it was commanded by Captain Otis S. Smith Jr. They left Suffolk on August 14, 1917 to join the other companies of the Fourth Virginia Regiment at Norfolk, Virginia and later became part of Company E, 116th Infantry at Camp McClellan.
The men of Smith’s Volunteers had their first reunion in 1929 and met 1930-1932 and 1947-1983. At the 1951 meeting a member donated a bottle of wine to be drank by the last two known surviving members. In1982 the group met at th