Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

1 Follower

Profile Information

  • Location
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Interests
    WWII 36th Infantry Division, Kentucky veterans, and aviation uniforms.

Recent Profile Visitors

350 profile views
  1. Got around to setting up a 36th Infantry Division display once again now that I’ve gotten some new pieces in. All uniforms are named and IDd. I’m particularly happy about the new small items I’ve been able to pick up with help me fill out the display and the walls behind it. It’s a fun division to collect and I hope I can continue expanding as time goes on. I’m always looking for more uniforms and smalls from the division, so don’t hesitate to reach out if you’ve got anything!
  2. I mainly collect uniforms but find lots of smalls in my day to day collecting. To compensate for this, I have developed a sort of “natural” display which focuses around mannequins with uniforms that are surrounded by natural or related smalls that look as if someone has thrown them on a desk and forgotten about it. This is an easy way to display smalls that night not otherwise warrant being displayed independently but helps make a more thematic and fuller display. If you can find newspapers, pictures, magazines, or other pieces with great graphics that go along with a theme, it’ll only enhance the display to hang those behind it. I also make display cards for every uniform which shows some of the basic research and photos I have of the veteran whose uniform is being displayed. I find those to be really fun to have. A Battle of the Bulge themed “natural” display Here’s an Air Corps one Other iterations This one had ETO on the left and PTO on the right Sometimes you can use entire groupings for a “natural” display And here’s some of those cards, you can get a cheap laminator of Amazon and they’ll look great with hanging uniforms as well An example of a larger card, I print these out in 4x6 and buy these cheap plain plastic frames from Walmart. They blend in well and leave the focus on the information.
  3. Thanks for the comments yall, definitely not one I could pass up. Does anyone recognize the cartouche on the back of the flap that is surrounded by the patch stitching?
  4. Awesome helmet and super cool story. This is only the second time I’ve seen from an LCG crewman besides a uniform grouping I used to have and is posted on here. They were important but forgotten ships. I presume this helmet would’ve been his helmet for the LSM, any idea what the 26 would represent?
  5. Just got in a great belt my friend found for me at the Oklahoma show. It’s a 1942 about BAR ammo belt in field-worn shape, but the most interesting part is the original snowback 36th ID SSI sewn onto the left side. I’ve not been able to find specific pictures of the division doing this but I’m guessing it might have been a late war or occupation thing. The stitching is hand done and using original organic thread. The patch itself covers the clasp and shows a good amount of wear from the button closing and opening on the patch. The belt is also named to a “C Grady” which I have not been able to look into yet. There are some other stamping that look like “TM1” and some weird cartouche above the name. In all, a very unique and cool ammo belt that was obviously well used through the war and probably afterward in occupation. Very happy to add it to my 36th collection. -Alex
  6. You could contact the Patton Museum at Fort Knox, I know they like finding things from instructors and personnel that were stationed there for the war.
  7. Bump because this guy was a little busy 76 years ago, today.
  8. Can’t really ask for a better uniform, glad you ended up with this one!
  9. You'd be spot on. According to Jones they were thrown around the 84th ID lines during the Bulge for over a month, it was the most continuous days of actual combat he personally saw. At the end of it he had met the requirement and got the CIB, although he did not keep his discharge papers to see whether it was official or not.
  10. Jones as a LT and his Jeep “the Iron Lady” Platoon photo, Jones back right Note the wear of a meritorious unit citation and the ribbons on an m43 Work in a truck Taken from inside the truck moving through Germany
  11. Wachenburg Field photos from April, 1945 Destruction at Mannheim 84th ID pool Throwing out a kaput radio Jones “thinking by the shop” Wachenburg castle
  12. Hey all, so I finally managed to just about complete this wonderful grouping and thought I would share. It belonged to Lieutenant Jordan Linus Jones of the 84th Signal Company, 84th Infantry Division and features just about all you could ask for, the only things missing are a few coast artillery collar insignia I am still waiting on. Jordan L. Jones was born and raised in Los Angeles, California and while in school, thrived in mechanical engineering. When he graduated he applied and was hired as a lineman and field repairman for the Southern California Telephone Company. Traveling across large portions of the state, Jones refined his technical skills and became a proficient master of communications equipment and its upkeep, knowledge that would serve him well later on. With the rise of tensions worldwide and the threat of war looming on the horizon, Jones thought it best to join up early and let use skills for a greater good. In January of 1940 he signed up for the California National Guard and was attached to the 250th Coastal Artillery regiment. Based out of San Francisco, Jones would work to upkeep the ancient artillery pieces utilized by the guard. It was fairly easy duty which kept him busy until all America was thrown into a whirl with the attacks on Pearl Harbor. With the country now at war, Jones felt the need to move past the guard and transferred to the national army. Moving past his position with the artillery, Jones discovered a more comfortable home with the US Army signal corps. Just as critical as the guns needed to arm the military were the radios, telephones, wires, and related logistics that kept everyone in contact with one another on and off the battlefield. With his high level of skills picked up in the telephone company, Jones was a natural fit. He qualified highly in all of the required areas but focused on the upkeep of hardware utilized by the armed forces. By 1942 Jones had completed his training and was already active in stateside operations, but his skills were needed elsewhere. In October of that year the 84th Infantry Division “Railsplitters” were revived at Camp Howze, Texas and recruitment to fill its ranks began immediately. Before long Jones found himself a senior NCO in the division leading the repair and maintenance section of the 84th Signal Company attached to the division. For the next two years he worked with the division alongside command and field units to train and prepare in combat usage of communications, building a crack team of mechanics and gear heads from other young men with similar backgrounds in the telephone industry. On 20 September, 1944 the division shipped overseas. With the allied invasion of Europe well underway, the 84th was sent in to support the ever growing land forces on fortress Europe. Traveling through much of the wreckage left behind by the ever-advancing army, Jones and the 84th finally began combat operations with an attack on Geilenkirchen, Germany on 18 November. When the division arrived in France, each of its subunits was given the latest equipment to prepare it for combat. For the signal company, that meant higher-performing maintenance gear. The company was given 2-3 M30 Repair trucks outfitted for radio repair. Jones was assigned to command one of these vehicles and a platoon of men to equip it. Never in the actual action themselves, the platoon was never far from it. Working on equipment from backpack radios used on the frontlines to the complicated comms systems of division HQ, Jones and his boys were sent up and down the line making sure that the 84th could maintain its combat effectiveness through meaningful communications. It wouldn’t be until the Battle of the Bulge, however, that Jones would truly see what that combat effectiveness meant. On 21 December 1944 the 84th began its operations to stop the German push through American lines. Thrown into the fray in northern Belgium, the division found itself under equipped and undermanned for the severity of the German attack. According to Jones, they barely had any winter equipment. Most men only had a single pair of socks and many of the infantry companies had far fewer men than needed to defend the large stretches of land they were ordered to hold. On one of the coldest nights he ever remembered, somewhere around Christmas, Jones was changed forever. Sleeping around their truck bundled up in whatever cloth they could find, Jones and his platoon were roused in the middle of the night by an angry infantry captain. Supposedly, he was frustrated because he had been given a large stretch of the line to defend and he barely had enough men to cover it. Going around to find support, the captain ordered Jones and his men to grab the lids and rifles and report to the front. Jones was terrified. He had never seen combat and had hoped never to. Unfortunately, when duty calls, one has no other choice. Jones and his platoon were shoved into several crude foxholes and trenches dug around the lines of an unknown infantry company and were told to hold out for a possible German attack. Snuggled up to his carbine in the Belgian snow, Jones spent the night wide-eyed and in prayer, watching for signs of movement in the dense winters brush. A few hours later, all hell would break loose. Mortar and artillery fire turned the area into crater-ladened landscape, splintering trees and destroying fortifications all around them. Before long, the Germans came. Armed with tanks, halftracks, and snow-camouflaged infantry, the attack was relentless. Several times the Germans even got into their lines and the attack became hand-to-hand. Jones recalled three separate times when a German soldier managed to break through and jump down into his trench ready to attack. Luckily, Jones was prepared, and each time he brought up his carbine to fire at point blank range. To put it simply, no German made it in or out of Jones’ trench. However, to kill for the first time, especially in such quick succession and in such a personal manner, left its mark on Jones. He never forgot the faces of each man he killed that day and suffered from PTSD the rest of his days, often waking up screaming in the night fearing he had returned to the snowy hellscape of Belgium. By February the line had been restored and the boys of the signal company could return to their regular duties, likely a welcome change from the brutish combat they experienced for the month or so prior. It was around this time that the American push really gained speed and Jones’ truck was put to the test to supply and maintain the division throughout the final campaigns of the war. At its conclusion, Jones and the signal company were ecstatic. Their months of running to and fro were now at an end and the comfort of occupation could begin. Jones and the rest of the division were sent to Mannheim/Weinheim for occupation, two cities that couldn’t contrast more despite being only a few miles apart. Mannheim, the site of many industrial facilities, had been bombed into oblivion by the allied air forces while Weinheim remained practically untouched. Jones recalled the marked contrast and recognized the true power of the planes he had seen flying high overhead for so many months before. He recalled the time in the cities fondly, chasing German girls and Lugers to bring home. While he could never find himself a Luger, he did find plenty of time to take some wonderful photos of his men, the area, and occupation life. He did get a nice souvenir, finding an abandoned town hall with a pristine Nazi banner hanging on the wall which he cut down and saved away as a reminder of the struggle he and his men had experienced, knowing that the banner and the regime it represented would never fly again. In early 1946 Jones received a commission and transferred to the 302nd Signal Battalion which was still working with the 84th in the area. He only served with them a few months, however, before he was told to pack his bags and head home. Returning back to the states in late 1946 a brand new 1st Lieutenant, Jones found himself welcomed back with open arms to the California telephone industry as a director, working the rest of his life coordinating efforts in his state with other phone companies around the country. After the war he met his wife, Leverne, and traveled around a bit in their later years, settling in Oregon before he passed of cancer in 1989. Upon his death these items were given to my friend who was his neighbor at the time. My buddy has been downsizing a little and now they have been passed onto me. The grouping is a pretty darn complete one. While his wife unfortunately donated his officer tunics before my friend could save them, the uniforms included are his officer undershirt as well as the final tunic he wore as an enlisted man. Supposedly he didn’t get to wear it too much and since he spent so much of the war as a sergeant, he decided to keep it. Also included are his cased medals, over 100 photographs taken from the spring of 1945 to the end of his service in Germany in early 1946, several patches, his devotional book, an army song book, the 84th souvenir booklet, and the amazing German banner he took from Weinheim. It has no staining or color loss whatsoever and is a true testament to the untouched nature of Weinheim he described in the postwar era. It looks to be a large wall banner, is double sided, and measures 46” x 92” so its a pretty big boy. Hope you all enjoy a pretty solid group from a renowned infantry unit. Ive attached my scans for some of the more interesting photos as unfortunately to do all of them might be a little much. Thankfully almost each one has a full caption written on the back so the people and places are well documented. Photos of the truck A few of the many portraits
  13. Hey all, just got my high resolution scanner up and running and have been going through scanning all my photographs. After scanning these I saw a lot of really great details and figured it’d be a good reference to have up on the forum. The pictures come from a tail gunner grouping of a marine who flew a PBJ in VMB-423. The era is winter 1944 to summer 1945. I’m not super down on my navy gear but thought you all who are would appreciate it.
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.