'58 dated Zippo with EGA on the front.

PvtTamura

Hey guys,

My lonely acquisition of the day, a thrift store find.

I had an employee pull a couple Zippos from a display

case and I though this one sat funny on the counter.

Turned it over and there was that little EGA on the front. :D

Quick question too, I wanna free up the flint wheel on the lighter,

is there a "safe" way to do this? I know we as collectors tend to

lean from messing with and avoid cleaning items...

Comments appreciated. :thumbsup:

PvtT

Zippo

post-9491-1290809562.jpg

EGA

cimg33820.jpg

Date Stamp

cimg3386.jpg

Quick question too, I wanna free up the flint wheel on the lighter,

Just take the flint spring out, and unbend a paperclip, just keep jamming the paperclip into the flint hole until all the junk is cleared out. I had one a while back with the same problem and this worked fine

teufelhunde.ret
...Quick question too, I wanna free up the flint wheel on the lighter,

Comments appreciated. :thumbsup:

Don't screw w/ it. Send in for FREE repair: http://www.zippo.com/FAQs/Repairs/How_to_s...b1-51125f34fb35

Remove the inside unit from the lighter and allow the fuel to evaporate for two or three days.

Replace the inside unit in the lighter case.

Package lighter securely in an oversized box or padded shipping bag (large packages are less likely to be lost or misplaced in transit.)

Multiple lighters may be sent in one package.

Include your name, address, telephone number and email address on a note inside the package.

Insure your package, send via a trackable method, shipping charges paid, to:

Zippo Repair Clinic

1932 Zippo Drive

Bradford, PA 16701

• 2 months later...
Don't screw w/ it. Send in for FREE repair: http://www.zippo.com/FAQs/Repairs/How_to_s...b1-51125f34fb35

Remove the inside unit from the lighter and allow the fuel to evaporate for two or three days.

Replace the inside unit in the lighter case.

Package lighter securely in an oversized box or padded shipping bag (large packages are less likely to be lost or misplaced in transit.)

Multiple lighters may be sent in one package.

Include your name, address, telephone number and email address on a note inside the package.

Insure your package, send via a trackable method, shipping charges paid, to:

Zippo Repair Clinic

1932 Zippo Drive

Bradford, PA 16701

teufelhunde.ret,

Thanks for the info,

I have actually sent several of the Zippos that have passed through my hands for repair to Zippo.

I chose not to send this one, after it had some fuel in it, and I gently toyed with it, I got the wheel moving.

My experience with repair at Zippo has consisted of getting back brand new Zippos or inserts, with the original

ones still having issues. (those also were returned.)

-PvtT

That is a nice Zippo!. I have a rather extensive collection of them myself.

I have sent my EDC Zippo back for a hinge repair three times over the years. It had gotten a lot of play in it with use.

They would spot a new hinge on it, and send a new set of 'guts', as well as return the old ones. It has developed a little overbite in it, so it might not seal as good as it once did.

I've heard of guys taking a sledge to theirs and sending it in for a new one; though, this seems to be rather abusive of Zippo's guarantee.

I won't send my two 1937 era lighters for repair, though! They still operate despite a l'il hinge-slop.

Many times a "wheel-jam" can be cleared by running the wheel backwards; although, it sounds like yours might have been bound on the pin.

So as not to 'jack your thread, please refer to: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...howtopic=102348

I think it was something else, the first thing I tried was running the wheel backwards, and it would move back, but not forward. Figured it out in the end though.

Two '37 era Zippos! :jeal0001:

Very cool. Zippo will repair or replace just about anything. I took a plain jane '05 dated one and removed the wheel, and flint holder. Then glued a flash drive in it for a unique case. However, the metal spring that helps keep the top closed was damaged when I drilled everything out. So I removed all the glue and such and sent it back.

My Zippo came back with a new insert. :w00t:

Two '37 era Zippos! :jeal0001:

Yes, and while I may not be able to actually document these as 'in theatre'... they're still nice to see:

post-21709-1298672681.jpg

This was my Grand-Fathers'; looks to be much older, by the stamping, than the next.

post-21709-1298674443.jpg

This belonged to another Grand-Father.

Regards,

Don

I envy you! I want to pick one up, but it's pretty low on the prioritys, so it always gets put on the back burner...And such a personal connection!

Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

You're welcome!

I'm not exactly certain as to "why", but my Zippo collection is more important to me than any other.

Maybe it is that "personal connection" you describe.

I recall seeing a particular 'Nam carried Zippo in the Zippo/Case Museum several years ago; and they had many original examples.

This particular one, ('66 dated, IIRC) had engraved on it "Yea, tho I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil; 'cause I'm the meanest son-of-a-bitch in this valley."

More than just a little inspiring...

Regards,

Don