Lt. C.K. Fort WWI

p2tharizo

I'll try to keep this short...

Monday I got a call from a guy about an ad I run locally looking for 'Military Items'. He said he had some, and I quote, "WWI Paratrooper stuff from his Great Grandfather". I said, "WWI paratrooper??", and he says, "Yeah...I think so." So, obviously I scoot over there thinking this could be any number of things! I didn't know if he had WWII airborne items, or WWI stuff that he just assumed were paratrooper for some reason. Well, the pictures below will tell you what I picked up-different things from different eras. But the real 'meat and taters' part of my tale is as follows....

He explains to me that this house he's in was his uncles who had passed away about a year ago, and these were family items the uncle had owned. His mother lives next door, and he's been helping her clean everything up. He said there's more stuff, but he didn't have time to get it out-even though I made it abundantly clear that I was willing to stand in the living room while he did so, or help dig. I told him, as I always do, that family stuff belongs with the family-if and only if they can properly take care of it and appreciate it-I'm only buying if you're certain you want to sell. He assured me that his mother didn't mind, and would call me when he could get together more items. I paid $160 for everything you see in the pictures, and headed straight home as happy as can be. I've never even seen a WWI uniform in person, let alone one this complete-not 100%, but close in my eyes. I took these pictures and e-mailed them to a friend of mine who is also a local collector. Within 5 minutes, my phone was ringing, it was my buddy. He said, "I just got your pictures." I said, "Well, what do you think?". "Well, I have bad news for you....that stuff is stolen!" He then preceded to tell me that he's known a lady for years who's grandfather was a WWI vet, and his name was C.K. Fort, and she had told my friend that someone had broken in to her house and stolen a bunch of things, including her grandfathers stuff. He told me that he had told her that her son is the one who'd done it, but she just wouldn't buy it. I told him to call her, and make sure she knew that I didn't know this was not her sons to sell. He did, and she agreed to meet me and told my friend that she'd pay me back every cent (her words), and that she was furious with her son. The son had already spent my money on 'groceries'....within 2 hours! I met her the next day, and we chatted for quite a while. She told me that she knows that you cannot take this stuff to the grave with you, but she's just not ready to sell, but when she is, she will contact me. I inquired about the two paratrooper infantry caps, and she said her father was in WWII, but was not a paratrooper. She said they were probably something that her late brother had just bought and thrown in with "grandpa's stuff". I then kindly explained that these items should be properly cared for. She took the advice well, and we parted ways. My friend told me that this woman is a hoarder, and even though there is sentimental attachment, this stuff will probably not be taken care of any differently than it was before. I was looking forward to selling some of these items to collectors-who actually appreciate things, and possibly displaying the uniform, but if that ever happens, it will be when we are reunited down the road.....

I should mention that one of these flags is one that was draped over Mr. Fort's casket-two have evidence of being folded in a triangle. I am interested to know if anyone can find any information on Mr. Fort, I know most of the items here obviously didn't belong to him, but I would be interested to at least know more about the man than she could provide. One interested note-his name was either Charles or Curtis (I can't remember), Keith Forte, but later dropped the 'e' from his last name.

S5005820.jpg

S5005821.jpg

S5005822.jpg

S5005823.jpg

S5005824.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
oskar_2ndchev

I like the 364 Infantry pennant. From a quick search, it doesn't appear that Lt. Fort was in the 364th. I wonder how that came to be included with everything else.

Brian Dentino

Man....that is some tough luck! :crying: That uniform was a keeper for sure......hopefully the granddaughter will try and take care of it....or at least call you when it is time to sell. But for a son to steal from his own mother....... :disgust: :evilgrin: :thumbdown: now that is just WRONG!

Man....that is some tough luck! :crying: That uniform was a keeper for sure......hopefully the granddaughter will try and take care of it....or at least call you when it is time to sell. But for a son to steal from his own mother....... :disgust: :evilgrin: :thumbdown: now that is just WRONG!

I know it sounds lame, but the thought of these items going back to a place where they’re neglected literally made me sick to my stomach that day. All sorts of horrible thoughts went racing through my mind about what the fate of these things would be. But, I’m crossing my fingers that one day I will get them back-folded neatly just as I gave them up, and not stuffed in the rain damaged cardboard box like I first found them.

Did you file a police report against the guy who sold it you to you? It sounds like he sold you stolen goods and you are out $160: if that's the case do not hesitate to file. There's no chance in hell anyway you'll ever see that stuff again anyway, so don't let him get away with that crime.

Did you file a police report against the guy who sold it you to you? It sounds like he sold you stolen goods and you are out $160: if that's the case do not hesitate to file. There's no chance in hell anyway you'll ever see that stuff again anyway, so don't let him get away with that crime.

The mother payed me back-and I didn't have to coax her. That was the only nice thing about this story! I'm hoping that if she was willing to spend money to get the items back, she'll take better care of them...

• 6 months later...

Well, I've had good luck for once. The lady called me over the weekend and said she's ready to part with it! I bought everything back-I'm not sure where the flags went, but that's okay-I didn't push the issue. I'm trying to research Mr. Fort, but I haven't had any luck. I'm going to call her later today and ask what exactly "C.K." are initials for! Oh, can anyone tell me what the collar insignia means? Is that a machine gun company or something? Thanks for all the support on this guys-I did the right thing, and it paid off. This uniform is now being taken care of properly and being appreciated. I'd like to get a mannequin for it one of these days-those boots are too cool!

Thanks Timberwolf! So, on the collar insignia-the "MG" stands for "Machine Gun"-right? What does the "TC" stand for? Where's the pros?

Old Marine

Congratulations on getting the stuff back. You never know how these things will work out. That's a nice uniform.

Well, for those of you who are still reading-thanks for the support! I called Mr. Fort's granddaughter a few minutes ago, and told her I wanted to know a few things about him. She said she has a "panoramic photo" of him with his company/regiment, whatever it may be. She said she doesn't want to sell it-it is framed thankfully! But, she told me she'd have no problem with me having it scanned for myself :D Now I just have to find a place in this little hick town that can scan a photo that large! Anyway, his full name was Charles Kenneth Fort. He is buried at Fort Rosecrans Cemetery in San Diego. I found the following link with some photos of the cemetery-it is beautiful, and it chokes me up a little bit.

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/5-aX3Tzg6zV...e-jKoSlPhkTQKbw

He was born September 8th, 1891 and died on February 22nd, 1963. His wife is buried next to him in this beautiful place. I'm going to try to do some more research....and when that photo materializes, you can bet your sweet batootie I'll post a picture here!

market garden

You did the Honorble thing in returning it and you were repaid in the ladies kindness and then she sold it to you later on. My friend keep living your life like this and you will have a very rewarding one.Great score!!!!!!!!!!!!Market garden

Its a great grouping, im its in the hands of a collector such as yourself to properly preserve it.

jerseygary

Congratulations on getting this back! I remember reading this the first time around and would have bet the son was going hock it again for some more "groceries"!