WAR MOVIE BLUNDERS

Patriot

The other night I was watching "WINDTALKERS", and as most of you know this movie has more problems than Pee-Wee Herman on Meth. One aspect that I found to be VERY distracting was the over-done pyrotechnics. When Japanese shells were going off, it looked like an instaneous BONFIRE, rather than an actual explosion. To the unwise, you might think that the greatest risk of an artillery barrage was catching on fire from the explosion. The GI Joe, gung-ho theatrics were also pretty unappealing.

Now that I have that off my chest, I thought it might be interesting to hear about some of the other observations you have made from various war films out there. I am not asking for stitch counters and wrong brand of toilet paper observations... just the really goofy crap that has ruined war movies over the years....

I saw rubber bayonets in the movie 'Glory', and in The Longest Day when the French commando guy jumps

out the second story window, when he hits the ground he's got a rubber sten gun that flops back and forth in

his hand.

Being a self proclaimed and non-recovering "Helmet Head", the first thing I notice in every movie is the incorrect helmet assembly. Much like the firearms guys notice Korean war era bayonet lugs on an M-1 carbine being used in a WWII movie or the uniform guys noticing an incorrect EGA on a Marine storming the beaches of Iwo Jima, I am instantly turned off when I see post war chin strap clamps being used in a WWII movie. And don't get me started on an incorrect tactical marking or a Vietnam era liner being used in a WWII scene. My wife tells me to shut up because I ruin the movie for her. :pinch:

However, the absolute worst thing I ever saw was a surplus M-1 helmet being used in one of the first episodes of the early 60's TV show, COMBAT and seeing the painted over 506th tactical markings on two of the actors helmets. I cry every time I see that. :crying:

The 1873 Trapdoor carbines and rifles used in some of your older Civil War movies.

I also have a tendancy to count pistol and rifle rounds, when you don't see people

reloading.

Re WINDTALKERS: IIR the computer-generated graphics show F6F Hellcats bombing and strafing in close support.

Funny, I thought the F6F was a higher-altitude, air-to-air fighter, and the the F4U Corsair was the CAS type.....

But what the heck, in Saving Private Ryan it was a P-51 Mustang that got the Tiger at the end. (Same deal, P-51s weren't wasted on low-level stuff, and it was the job of P-47s (and Brit Typhoons)). AND what the %^*# ordnance did the Mustang use? No bomb rack(s), no rocket racks, in evidence....

"Windtalkers" was not one of my favorite war movies, but my wife says that the Navajo they spoke in the move is fairly accurate. However...the explosions were a bit hokey. :lol:

Buffalo Grunt

My favorite one is the Green Berets with John Wayne .. After a green beret gets killed after fighting several NVA, John Wayne smashes his rifle across a tree .. the rifle is actuually a Mattel M-16 Marauder toy gun that has a huge clip .. LOL

MarauderRightPro.jpg

I personally liked the ridiculously huge square chincups in The Longest Day.

And don't forget the flip up swivel loop M-1C which did not even exist on D-Day... or have we maybe just found photographic evidence? :rolleyes: :w00t:

jw.jpg

But what the heck, in Saving Private Ryan it was a P-51 Mustang that got the Tiger at the end. (Same deal, P-51s weren't wasted on low-level stuff, and it was the job of P-47s (and Brit Typhoons)). AND what the %^*# ordnance did the Mustang use? No bomb rack(s), no rocket racks, in evidence....

Here you can read about a P-51 pilot who got his Silver Star for a strafing run: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...st&p=200024 - he also literally helped write the book about strafing, At the link you can see a copy of his hand-written note explaining how he became a POW following a strafing run in his P-51.

"Windtalkers" was not one of my favorite war movies...the explosions were a bit hokey. :lol:

As hokey and overdone as Nicholas Cage's acting?

March or Die with Gene Hackman and Terrence Hill (and...Catherine Deneuve). In the final scene, the editing has Hackman's character wearing medals that appear and disappear multiple times as the clips are merged into the final cut. (Seems that the pendant of his Legion of Honor fell off at some point during shooting.)

In The Longest Day, the troops on the beach can be seen wearing the FRENCH post-war pot (M1951?) and there was at least one wearing Spec 4 rank, 8th Inf Div SSI. And they are wearing M1951 zippered field jackets.

Here you can read about a P-51 pilot who got his Silver Star for a strafing run: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...st&p=200024 - he also literally helped write the book about strafing, At the link you can see a copy of his hand-written note explaining how he became a POW following a strafing run in his P-51.

Hi All,

Remember, the P-51 was originally made for ground attack and was not changed over with the P-47 till the advent of the Rolls Royce engine they put in it.

Terry

I personally liked the ridiculously huge square chincups in The Longest Day.

jw2.jpg

Im with you on those chincups, cant believe they couldnt do better than that!!...being a helmet guy i cant overlook them when enjoying that awesome movie!!.....mike

Okay, I know I'm really "nitpicking" here, but something I've noticed in "The Pacific" that gets under my skin is...

Where are the tans/sunburns? Damn near every photo I've seen of Marines in the island-hopping campaigns show them all to have a bone-deep tan, accrued through weeks/months of exposure to the South Pacific sun. I know, it rained on the 'canal, Gloucester, Okinawa, etc... BUT, anyone who's spent ANY time in the tropics knows that the sun down there is relentless. The only Gyrene I saw in the series that fit the bill was GySgt Haney, and try as I might, I just can't buy off on "Sledge's" pasty white skin (remember the actual photo of him after Peleliu in "..Old Breed"?)

Seems like after spending months on end at Pavuvu, the Marines would have some savage tans to show for it! If you're gonna spend millions of $ on a miniseries, spring for a tanning bed. I'm just saying....

Okay, off the soapbox!

Semper,

Ski

LOL....my wife used to say the same things "Shut UP!"

As far as Windtalkers go, I have personal knowledge there, as I've heard plenty of stories from the Historical and Technical Director on the movie.

Re: the "Explosions".....John Woo, the director, wanted 'big explosions'. He wasn't interested in 'accuracy' as far as the explosions go...

But the rest of the movie (not counting Cage's acting or attitude), 'stuff' wise, was as accurate as they could make it. That includes correct rubber M-1's (I have those), uniforms, helmet covers, even the packs of cigarettes! (Smokes were specially made, down to the color and composition of the packaging...each pack cost well over 25.00 to make. And very few even show up). Field gear was either original or re-made to exact specs. Hundreds of 'correct' locks were made, never seen. Seabags, gas mask bags, same deal. They look identical to the 'real' thing...and were never seen.

I could go on but you get the idea. Alas...the movie SUCKS LOL.

Most of the equipment from Windtalkers was used for "Flags of our Fathers" as well.

Of course things sometimes go the other way, in the 1951 film The Tanks Are Coming the equipment is all but flawless but the story leaves a lot to be desired. However if you like tanks, it is a super movie to watch. Several variations of Shermans as well as a M32 ARV which is something you rarely see in a WWII movie. No German tanks, but they do use a disguised M10 to play the role of a Panther briefly in the movie.