Named 82nd/17th ABN Ike set

Kadet

I'll start by saying that, although I have handled a number of original WWII Ike sets, I'm not a uniform collector per se. I have always wanted to add a named WWII Airborne Ike set to my collection though. This set was originally sold on Ebay in 2008. At that time, the tunic was complete minus ribbons, marksmanship medal and (I assume) wings/oval. The winner/owner was later able to secure the wearer's original ribbon bar and marksmanship badge, and added this to the tunic before it was sold to me on WAF. The tunic and cap are named to SGT Charles E. Brady, who served in Battery A, 456th PFAB, 82nd ABN. The patch configuration leads me to believe that Brady was perhaps a pre Normandy 82nd replacement who returned to the states w/ the 17th ABN in the Fall of 1945, hence the 17th ABN patch on the left shoulder and 82nd "combat patch". The ETO ribbon contains an arrowhead and 4 stars, which more than likely represents Normandy, Holland, Ardennes and Central Europe. Brady enlisted in 1939, so the other ribbons and stripes make sense as well, as does the Fourragere for Belgium. If he did indeed fight in Normandy and Holland, he would also rate the orange lanyard and French CdG fourragere, so these are either missing or were never awarded to him prior to returning home....very possible I believe given the late date of these awards. The arrowhead indicates that he jumped somewhere...Normandy, Holland, Operation Varsity w/ the 17th....or perhaps all iof the above. It is also possible that he served in Italy w/ the 82nd, although his overseas service bars don't seem to support that. In short, I believe this uniform is a "straight" attributed ABN set. I've also sent off to NARA for Brady's record, which hopefully will shed some light on his service. I don't have the set in hand yet, so these are the seller's pics.

post-110-1288538755.jpg

Andy, Nice looking uniform over all. Overseas cap is especially interesting with red piping. Can you show a close up of the overseas bars? They look like they may be English made version. which is always nice to have on a uniform.

Thanks

John

John, I don't have it in hand yet, but will post more pics when I do....what indicates English made for these?

The cap is a privately purchased example, w/ a leather sweat band. The chocolate gabardine material is unusual for an enlisted cap, but I've seen others and also recall period portraits of them being worn by enlisted personnel. It is also named to SGT Brady

Here is his listing on the 456thth PFAB rolls

http://www.allamerican82nd.com/Battery_A_456th_roster.html

I am especially curious to know if he served in combat w/ the 17th

Andy

Normally the Brit style are a metal bar that are seperate bars pushed through the material and clenched over on the back.These look like a woven type similiar to bevo made insignias.

RD

• 2 weeks later...

I'm continuing the research in to this set, and can't wait to get his record if it still exists).

...a question for the uniform / ABN collectors...when was the 82nd issued the Ike uniform?

Brian Dentino
I'm continuing the research in to this set, and can't wait to get his record if it still exists).

...a question for the uniform / ABN collectors...when was the 82nd issued the Ike uniform?

Andy, I believe that the Ike's were ISSUED in very, very late 44 but most probably early 45. Some had 4 pockets taylored down in France or Belgium. Yours is a nice one to an All American that transferred into the 17th....probably before shipping home.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, after $60 and a long wait....here is the rest of the story. This is the BEST NARA record I've ever gotten for an Army guy, I guess because his name began w/ "B" and his record was spared in 1973. Charles Brady enlisted in the Field Artillery in 1939, and volunteered for paratrooper duty in 1943. Upon acceptance and parachute trng, he was assigned to the 458th PFAB and later Batteries D and A of 456th PFAB of the 82nd ABN. He arrived in England right before Normandy, but didn't see action until Holland. He apparently landed by glider in Holland on 18 September 1944, earning the Bronze arrowhead and glider badge. He went on to serve at the tail end of the Normandy campaign, and during the Ardennes and Central Europe campaigns, earning the Belgian Fourragere. Brady was transferred to the 466th PFAB of the 17th ABN in June 1945. He returned home w/ them and was discharged on 23 Sept 1945. All of his ribbons, stars etc are confirmed by his record, as well as the patch configuration...pretty darn neat!

post-110-1292027683.jpg

Brian Dentino

Great records on him Andy! Just as I suspected, an 82nd warrior that didn't have enough points to go home right away and transferred to the 17th to come home. Awesome find, and great to get the confirmation on the ID and the records. Congrats on the paperwork.......goes great with an AWESOME uniform! :thumbsup: