• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 marco

marco
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 1,588
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:22 PM

UD42 used by the OG's from OSS during WW2.

Attached Images

• F_UD_42_web.jpg

#2 Johan Willaert

Johan Willaert

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 92
  • 7,346 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:29 PM

Nice,

How much would those 4 cell pouches sell for?

I have one lying around somewhere....

Posted Image

#3 Gregory

Gregory
  • Members
    • Member ID: 75
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:35 PM

The Polish paras were not so lucky and had to use various rigger-made magazine pouches for their UD 42s.

Attached Images

• 1.jpg

#4 Johan Willaert

Johan Willaert

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 7,346 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:36 PM

The Polish paras were not so lucky and had to use various rigger-made magazine pouches for their UD 42s.

What pouch does the man on the right have?

#5 Gregory

Gregory
  • Members
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:44 PM

What pouch does the man on the right have?

Hi Johan!

Perhaps you remember that there was very interesting discuss about it in other e-place ;)

One of American colleague wrote then that most likely this is C-47 plane technical pouch mounted normally in cargo cockpit. Due to lack of magazine pouches for the UD 42s the paras took them for their SMGs because they were "well-tailored" for UD 42 magazines. I do not know -- that was a story of one of the forumers.

Best regards

Greg

Edited by Gregory, 20 August 2007 - 01:49 PM.

#6 Johan Willaert

Johan Willaert

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 7,346 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:48 PM

I remember, but so long ago....

I have apouch that's fairly similar to that and I think about two or three magazines may fit inside...

It was discussed here:
http://www.usmilitar...?showtopic=1948

Johan

Edited by Johan Willaert, 20 August 2007 - 01:51 PM.

#7 marco

marco
  • New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:59 PM

Nice,

How much would those 4 cell pouches sell for?
I have one lying around somewhere....

Posted Image

I don't know, how much do you propose for that?

#8 Gregory

Gregory
  • Members
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 02:02 PM

It was discussed here:
http://www.usmilitar...?showtopic=1948

Very interesting and very similar one-pocket pouch though heaven knows if it comes from British manufacturing. In the case of Polish paras I showed all is possible. They are not from the brigade taking part in "Market Garden" but they are from top secret SOE/OSS/Jedburgh Teams. The pic was taken in 1943. They used fantastic mix of the British and US field gear so all is possible as I wrote. They used even M1912 pistol belts.

Edited by Gregory, 20 August 2007 - 02:04 PM.

#9 Johan Willaert

Johan Willaert

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 7,346 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 02:07 PM

I don't know, how much do you propose for that?

Marco,

It's not for sale, but I'm just wondering....

#10 marco

marco
  • New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 02:10 PM

Marco,

It's not for sale, but I'm just wondering....

Ok, if you should sold it, please advise. thanks you.

#11 seebee1

seebee1
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,567
  • 302 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 02:50 AM

Pouchr.JPG
Pouchf.JPG

A superb image, any idea where it was taken? Great mixture of kit as well, headgear seems to be the SOE Jump-Helmet that goes with the one piece Jump-Suit. Also can see a pair of SF Wings. I will attach a picture of a pouch that I picked up from France, the owner believed that it was either SOE or OSS. All the best, Clive.

#12 seebee1

seebee1
  • Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 02:59 AM

An excellent example Marco, does it have any history? This was the hardest weapon for me to locate, but eventually I managed it. This was used as well by the Jedburghs and was available to them from the armoury at Milton Hall, along with the M1 Carbine (fixed and folding stock), Thompson and Sten. The pictures I attach were taken when I first received the UD-M42, since then I managed to find the right sling, box of Ammo and a few more mags. Regards, Clive.

Marlin_2_.JPG
Marlin_1_.JPG

UD42 used by the OG's from OSS during WW2.

#13 Johan Willaert

Johan Willaert

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 7,346 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 03:07 AM

Well, it seems that I now have both types of pouches issued with the UD M42....

I guess all that's left now is to locate on of those SMG..... :lol:

Thanks,

Johan

Edited by Johan Willaert, 10 February 2008 - 01:40 AM.

#14 Gregory

Gregory
  • Members
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 03:13 AM

A superb image, any idea where it was taken? Great mixture of kit as well, headgear seems to be the SOE Jump-Helmet that goes with the one piece Jump-Suit. Also can see a pair of SF Wings. I will attach a picture of a pouch that I picked up from France, the owner believed that it was either SOE or OSS. All the best, Clive.

Hello Clive,

Wow, maybe thanks to you we will discover what really is this mystery quasi-magazine pouch for UD 42?

Yes, the unit that can be seen is unique. This is top secret and working for the Polish Government "Samodzielna Kompania Grenadierów" (Independent Grenadiers Company) I mentioned in this topic as well. They co-operated with the US OSS very closely - the US para-agent with US arm flag and SF wings can be seen as well at the pic I posted.

A superb image, any idea where it was taken?

Most likely at the place called Inchmery Ho alias Special Training Station 63 in Scotland.

Best regards

Greg

Edited by Gregory, 22 August 2007 - 03:26 AM.

#15 seebee1

seebee1
  • Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 04:20 AM

Karpinski_a_.JPG Karpinski_b_.JPG

Very interesting Greg. Unfortunately I will be away for a few days on business and not near a computer, so will write more next week. I will post with this reply a couple of images that I think will interest you. A few years back I bought a superb grouping that belonged to a Polish Officer, a long story, so will not bore anyone with it. The name of the uniform owner was a Waclaw Karpinski, I do not have my research file to hand, but will write more detail later next week. He was attached to SOE and his file is still classified. I managed to obtain the image attached, again a long story, but it made this grouping complete. Apart from the uniform there is an engraved cigarette case and a sword. I realise this subject is probably "off topic" but thought it may be of interest. All the best, Clive.

Karpinski_c_.JPG
Karpinski_d_.JPG

PS: The Training School that you mention, INCHMERY, was at Exbury, Southampton, Hertfordshire. At the 5th February 1941 it was named STS 38 and trained the Free French Preliminary. At the 26th May 1942 it became Stn 62d and trained the 62 Commando D Troop. On the 19th March 1943 the Poles were trained there. STS 63 was at Warnham Court, Sussex. The Poles certainly trained there.

Hello Clive,

Wow, maybe thanks to you we will discover what really is this mystery quasi-magazine pouch for UD 42?

Yes, the unit that can be seen is unique. This is top secret and working for the Polish Government "Samodzielna Kompania Grenadierów" (Independent Grenadiers Company) I mentioned in this topic as well. They co-operated with the US OSS very closely - the US para-agent with US arm flag and SF wings can be seen as well at the pic I posted.
Most likely at the place called Inchmery Ho alias Special Training Station 63 in Scotland.

Best regards

Greg

#16 Gregory

Gregory
  • Members
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 02:18 AM

Attn moderator -- in order to avoid mish-mash in UD 42 focused topic I am answering Clive the last time in WWII Polish special forces threads and next we will be corresponding privately.

................................................................................

Hello Clive,

The story how did you find this grouping is fascinating the same as your Polish Armed Forces militaria worth luxury car today if not much more. I congratulate you because you do have real holly grail from the Polish point of view. I will do my best to help you in identification what you really have and to whom it belonged. I found nothing about Wacław Karpiński unfortunately in my materials but I do not have all of them dedicated to the Polish SOE section.

Your grouping will need small verification who is who and what is what because the tunic has Polish Colonel ranks and the pic shows Polish 2nd Lt. One of key questions will be the number of the Polish para badge. They were highly restricted and numbered, it was not mass-manufactured. Fortunately there was Polish historian and WWII paratrooper Mr. Jan Lorys who prepared complete list of the badges numbers with their recipients. I will contact you with the Polish historian specializing in the paras who has this list. What I may tell now the tunic belonged to a man after parachute training who never jumped operationally however. His para badge -- diving eagle -- does not have a crown in its talons. The crown was additional sub-badge for the paras jumping over enemy territory or in combat conditions.

I will be in contact with you and the historian I recommend you. He is now at great reenacting event Detling Military Odyssey in UK but he will be available at the internet in a week. If in our common conclusion we decide that the history of your grouping is worth to describe it I will help you to publish an article about it. I am military history publicist and publisher so I will help you to prepare interesting material for good magazine.

To sum up -- your militaria are clear picture of the situation what those f… sovietized quasi-Polish governments did with our history through 45 years after WWII. The most valuable Polish WWII militaria related to the only one legal Polish Armed Forces of the Polish London-based government are today commercial goods at the international markets. We do have almost nothing from them in our museums. This is not of course a remark against you. I am very happy to see that many times Polish militaria landed in very good hands at the people who know what they have and are able to appreciate them.

Well, the rest correspondence via PM and we may return to Marlin UD 42.

Best regards

Greg

Edited by Gregory, 23 August 2007 - 02:23 AM.

#17 marco

marco
  • New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 06:23 AM

UD 42 continue..This is a pisture of Capt Lagueux (OSS), OG's Pat, city of Castres France, 1944.

Attached Images

• F_OSS_Lageux.jpg

#18 marco

marco
  • New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 06:29 AM

Alleman and Raymond OSS members, picture from Blida Algeria 1944.

Attached Images

• Alleman___Raymond.jpg

#19 seebee1

seebee1
  • Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:50 AM

Great images Marco, thank you for sharing, regards, Clive.

Alleman and Raymond OSS members, picture from Blida Algeria 1944.

#20 seebee1

seebee1
  • Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 08:11 AM

Marlin_4_.JPG
Marlin_3_.JPG

Thank you Greg for your comments, apreciate that I had gone "off topic" and that you have advised the Moderator. I look forward to your PM and we can look further into this other matter. (I will add though that his Wing Number is 3251). Back now to the UD M42 and will attach a couple of other images of mine that show the spare magazines and the ammunition. Regards, Clive.

[quote name='Gregory' date='Aug 23 2007, 02:58 AM' post='55714']
Attn moderator -- in order to avoid mish-mash in UD 42 focused topic I am answering Clive the last time in WWII Polish special forces threads and next we will be corresponding privately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)