11 replies to this topic

#1 Maverickson

Maverickson
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,553
  • 122 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:33 AM

Hi All,

I am a USN aviation squadron patch enthusiast and wondering if anyone here has had the pleasure of having dealt with http://www.flyingtig...ry_Code=06usnsq. As I have seen in the past this dealer carries many nice examples but seems awfully pricy!

Cheers, Dave

#2 vintageproductions

vintageproductions

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 492
  • 13,932 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:14 AM

Have bought many pieces from Ron. Some of the prices might seem a bit high, but you get what you pay for. His items are top notch. If you are ever at one of the major shows he sets up at, you will be blown away by the quality of merchandise he carries.

#3 Maverickson

Maverickson
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,553
  • 122 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:56 AM

Have bought many pieces from Ron. Some of the prices might seem a bit high, but you get what you pay for. His items are top notch. If you are ever at one of the major shows he sets up at, you will be blown away by the quality of merchandise he carries.

Although I have never had the opportunity to make a purchase from him yes, that is one thing that I noticed. The quality of those squadron patches he consistantly offers are truly second to none! That is what keeps me going back to his website and what he offers never ceases to amaze me.

Cheers, Dave

#4 usaf70

usaf70
  • Members
    • Member ID: 388
  • 724 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:10 PM

Yes they are some very unique patches but his WWII era wings seem way over priced.

#5 Allan H.

Allan H.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 151
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:39 PM

I have had the pleasure of knowing Ron for a number of years and have purchased some unbelieveable pieces from him over the years. I never miss an opportunity to look over the fantastic items that he offers for sale both through his website and at the shows that he attends.

Yeah, I have heard the belly-aching over the high prices that he asks for his items, but I would submit to you that he is offering the cream of the crop when his lists come out. It isn't easy for Ron to come up with these choice pieces and he can't sneak up on everything that he buys. I have always felt that Ron paid a good price for the items that i have sold to him and he has also been willing to work with me on a payment plan when I just had to have something I couldn't afford at the time it came out.

I find it kind of funny that when something rare brings big money on eBay, we ooh and ah over the prices and wish we had one for sale ourselves. When Ron puts something up for sale, we hear the "it's too expensive" complaints. Ron's paying a staff, and paying the bills for driving his wares around the country and paying for new pieces to go on his lists. None of that is cheap.

Like Bill Scott, aka RAREPATCHMAN on eBay, Ron stands behind his stuff 100%. No doubts about the originality with him! Paying a little extra for the quality and the reputation is worh it to many collectors.

Next time you see something on Ron's list that you think is priced too high, why don't you see if you can get in your car with a similar amount of money- drive to where a similar item is- buy it and drive home. Then see how much money is left in your pocket. I'll bet the pricess don't look quite so high then!

My three cents,
Allan

#6 Bulldog

Bulldog
  • Members
    • Member ID: 795
  • 496 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:34 PM

wardept.gif

Allan H. I could not agree more with what you said about (Ron) Flying Tigers! I was lucky enough to meet him at the Ft. Worth Military show here in Texas a few years back, and truly just a stand-up dealer!

#7 jpstout

jpstout
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,673
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 01:46 PM

100% Agree with the above Positive comments!! His patches are top of the line, the selection great and service outstanding! Besides the comprehensive website, Ron, like others on this forum, has been a great resource in developing my collection.....regards,
jpstout

#8 RANDALL 1953

RANDALL 1953
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,427
  • 664 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:51 AM

[quote name='Maverickson' date='Aug 24 2010, 11:56 AM' post='622620']
Although I have never had the opportunity to make a purchase from him yes, that is one thing that I noticed. The quality of those squadron patches he consistantly offers are truly second to none! That is what keeps me going back to his website and what he offers never ceases to amaze me.

Cheers, Dave

I also have never made a purchase but I plan to. Looking over the site there are many quality and rare items listed. I for one do not mind paying a little more for something I really need as long as the item is genuine and the seller is reputable. I would not hesitate to make a purchase based on the positive feedback I see here.

#9 Andrei

Andrei
  • Members
    • Member ID: 467
  • 5,629 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:06 AM

Ron is a very nice man. I am lucky to have meet him in person several times at the GWS.
Several years ago, I purchased a SF officer lare grouping on eBay. Then a couple of years later, I noticed a post war OG-107 fatigue set named to the same officer on eBay again.
I contacted the seller and it was Ron. Ron told me he has bought several post Vietnam fatigue sets but also the officer's green beret with a gorgeous in-country embroidered silk lining with the LLDB tiger and end of tour certificate of the 25th ID.
As soon as I said that to Ron, the beret and the frame were on hold for me. At this time I was a little bit broke and Ron kindly accepted a time payment.

#10 usaf70

usaf70
  • Members
    • Member ID: 388
  • 724 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 01:49 PM

I don't believe anyone is questioning Flying Tiger Antique's honesty and service and quality of items.
It is that the prices being asked on many of the items are, in some cases, 4-5 times higher than the same items can be found elsewhere.

#11 mshaw

mshaw
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,502
  • 437 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:49 AM

I don't believe anyone is questioning Flying Tiger Antique's honesty and service and quality of items.
It is that the prices being asked on many of the items are, in some cases, 4-5 times higher than the same items can be found elsewhere.

I agree with you on price. Great stuff but very pricey. He has a Juarez Glider Pilot wing for $400 or $500 and I picked one up at an auction last year for $100. If you have the money and want to build a collection overnight then this is the site to go to. However, if you have patience, you can usually pick up stuff much cheaper than can be found here. One other point; if you think you might have to sell the item within a few years it would be highly unlikely to recover your total investment. If you are into the ultra-rare stuff like squadron patches and other ultra-rare items you will likely have to pay through the nose anyway and you might as well buy from a reputable dealer with a good guarantee. Otherwise you just have to wait to get lucky at auctions, etc. but that doesn't happen very often.

#12 Air Force Collector

Air Force Collector
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,250
  • 65 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:17 PM

Have have known Ron since the early 1990s and have never been disappointed buying from him. He is at all the major shows, is visible and is a very kind and approachable type of person. An asset to the collecting world with a great reputation. Yes, his items can be a bit pricey but I have received top notch items from him that can not be found anywhere else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)