China Marine EGA's

Rustykamel

post-397-1184607994.jpgpost-397-1184607858.jpgHi, I thought that some of the forum members might enjoy seeing the EGA's that my father wore on his blues. All three of his barracks covers (blue, white, green) used the non-goonie bird design, while his blue and green blouses have the goonie bird EGA's. The EGA's for his greens were made in England. I never thought to ask why he wore the two very diffferent designs, but suppose they were what was issued to him in 1934. My photos aren't all that good, but do hope you enjoy them anyway.

Best wishes, Jim Shaw, 1963294

Hey Jim, that's a nice set, especially since they came from your dad. That style hat emblem is what was issued with the goony bird style emblem. The large hat size goony bird was private purchase.

Steve

teufelhunde.ret

Jim, if its not too much trouble, can we have a picture of the reverese (cap emblem) please. Thank you.

Hi Jim,

Very nice emblems on your dad's blues! As Steve already pointed out, the cover emblem is the pattern that was issued from 1930 through 1937 and at the same time Marines were issued the "Gooney" collar emblems. This pattern cover emblem is often confused with the earlier 1914-1922 (pattern of 1918), but can be identified by the square head and wing pattern. I'm guessing Darrell wants to see the reverse to confirm this cover emblem has a big, flat roller nut as opposed to the smaller, cylindrical rollers of earlier emblems. Does this emblem have a numbered or dotted hallmark on the reverse?

I'm fairly certain your dad picked up the "Made In England" collar emblems outside of the Marine supply system and these weren't his issue emblems. I personally haven't seen any evidence that the "Made In England" Gooneys were ever issued, but were most likely private purchase. Would it be possible to see these English made SERVICE emblems? The dress emblems made in England are fairly common, but let me tell you right now, English made service emblems are on the very scarce side as EGA's go.

Is that your service number following your name? 1961 or 1962 enlistment?

s/f, Gary 2566427

Thank you one and all. Attached is the first photo requested of the backside of the bronze collar emblem. I don't know if the blouse was made in 1934 or 1945, it might be tailor-made in China as it has a full lining and seems a high quality. There aren't any labels, and just one name stamped on inside right shoulder. The blouse has a Sixth Division patch and one hash mark. So, maybe the EGA's were private purchase. I think they give the green blouse a kind of salty look. Sorry about the double entry--I have no idea what I did wrong as I only hit 'post' once. Yes, that's my serial number. I don't usually add it to my name but felt it appropriate here in this forum. I am a proud Hollywood Marine circa July, 1961.

Best wishes, Jim

post-397-1184698008.jpgHi, I keep messing up adding a photo to these posts, but here goes:

The EGA has a backward 'S' on the breast of the eagle and no other marks that I can see.

Best wishes, Jim

Jim,

Nice! It's super seeing the hallmarked 1930-37 cover emblem, but seeing the Made In England service collar emblem is especially nice. They don't come along all that often in the "Gooney" pattern for the Winter Green blouse, so now you can think of your dad as a rarity collector even "back in the day!"

Nice introduction and touch adding your service number! Did some quick math and it comes up to 603,133 Marines enlisting between your July 1961 enlistment and my March 1969 enlistment by service number alone.

s/f, Gary

Here is a 1930-37 service cover emblem with the same hallmark, so now we know that the "reversed S" can be found on both dress and service emblems.

post-84-1184739381.jpg

post-84-1184739393.jpg

post-397-1184772688.jpgHello Gary, Thank you for the kind words and for sharing your neat emblem. That design is a favorite of mine. I have such a great respect for the forum members' knowledge, and have learned so much from the different posts, that I feel badly that I can't carry my own weight. So, glad to hear that the England made 'goonies' welcome to this EGA thread. I am going to attach a favorite photograph of Marines wearing their barracks covers in a most interesting way---especially the guy in the back. I hope that you enjoy it.

Thanks again, Jim

• 3 weeks later...

post-397-1186282153.jpgHi, Attached is photo of China Marine wearing emblems pictured above. Both the gooney bird version and barracks cover version can be seen. This photograph taken at end of Marine's enlistment. I hope forum members find it interesting.

Jim