• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Grant G.

Grant G.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 11,015
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:42 PM

I bought this helmet on ebay it had the biggest dent I've ever seen in a helmet however it was no problem for a hammer. I won it for 12 dollars and figured I'd restore it here you go.http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad303/gegustafson75/DSCF3307.jpg
http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad303/gegustafson75/DSCF3308.jpg
http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad303/gegustafson75/DSCF3309.jpg

#2 Grant G.

Grant G.
  • Members
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:47 PM

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad303/gegustafson75/DSCF3310.jpg

#3 gaz232sqn

gaz232sqn
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,558
  • 850 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:36 PM

Nice one,you done a good job.......I have seen a lot worse, from so called "Expert restorers" ;)

Good on ya Mate :thumbsup:

#4 Grant G.

Grant G.
  • Members
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:38 PM

Nice one,you done a good job.......I have seen a lot worse, from so called "Expert restorers" ;)
Good on ya Mate :thumbsup:

Thank you very much gaz :lol:

#5 gaz232sqn

gaz232sqn
  • Members
  • 850 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:00 AM

Thank you very much gaz :lol:

No worries Mate,your welcome :thumbsup:

#6 Corpsmancollector

Corpsmancollector
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,339
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:32 AM

Looking good! If you don't mind me asking (I've got a fixed bail shell to restore) how did you choose your cork and where did you obtain it? I know J Murray sells it (and I assume it is the correct size) but I'm thinking of using model railway 'fine cork' made by Javis.

Good job anyway!

Will

#7 Bugme

Bugme

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 1,726
  • 15,113 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:47 AM

Excellent restorative work! :thumbsup:

#8 gparlin

gparlin
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,237
  • 249 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:28 PM

By any chance do you have any photos of the “before” restoration? If so that would be a great comparison. Gregg

#9 BOLO

BOLO
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,885
  • 6,054 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:32 PM

nice work, but it could use some dried dirt to simulate age

#10 Grant G.

Grant G.
  • Members
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:24 PM

Looking good! If you don't mind me asking (I've got a fixed bail shell to restore) how did you choose your cork and where did you obtain it? I know J Murray sells it (and I assume it is the correct size) but I'm thinking of using model railway 'fine cork' made by Javis.

Good job anyway!

Will

Hey Will, I'm only 16 so I don't really have forty bucks to drop on a bag of J Murray cork :lol: so I take a different approach. When ever my parents finish a bottle of wine, or whenever I'm at a family gathering, I always go arround and collect the corks to all the wine bottles. I take a piece of cork and grate it on a cheese grater (I usually use about two corks per helmet (with plenty of cork left over). I take the grated cork and sift it through a small mesh strainer (for consistency). I put the sifted cork (which should feel like powder to the touch and also stick to your palms if your hands are sweaty) into an empty seasoning shaker. I then paint a stripped shell with Krylon flat olive drab (using a brush). When the paint is still wet I shake the cork onto the wet paint (this process can be messy, but do not do it outside since the wind will ruin your results). once dry I rub off any loose cork and then paint a couple coats with krylon flat olive drab paint (spray). I'm sure railroad cork would work just as well but it may not be cheaper. - Grant :thumbsup:
http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad303/gegustafson75/DSCF3315.jpg
http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad303/gegustafson75/DSCF3317.jpg
http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad303/gegustafson75/DSCF3316.jpg

#11 Grant G.

Grant G.
  • Members
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:26 PM

Excellent restorative work! :thumbsup:

Thank you Bugme, That means a lot coming from you! -Grant ^_^

#12 Grant G.

Grant G.
  • Members
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:32 PM

By any chance do you have any photos of the “before” restoration? If so that would be a great comparison. Gregg

I'm sorry Gregg, I do not but I will be doin another one rather soon and I will take pictures. There is a reenacting website which has step by step instructions and their technique is similar to mine. -Grant
Helmet restoration

#13 Grant G.

Grant G.
  • Members
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:33 PM

nice work, but it could use some dried dirt to simulate age

I have contemplated leaving it out in the rain for a couple of days! :lol: -Grant

#14 kjones5452

kjones5452
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,883
  • 2,305 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:53 PM

:thumbsup: Bravo Grant! Last week I did exactly the same thing! We must have been
reading the same forum at the same time.I decided the night before just to see if the
Wal-Mart had what I needed,I got a bag of 6 bottle corks.the grader,salt shaker,Krylon
Camo OD and I was set.I had no problems outside,just waited for the wind to die down
some.Started the next morning and that afternoon I had 2 restored fixed loop helmets.
You can't tell any difference between my 2 and either one of Josh Murray or ATF. I've
never been a artsy crafty type guy and all thumbs to,so if I can handle it,no problem.
It's also a whole lotta fun,you wouldn't think it,but it is.

#15 Grant G.

Grant G.
  • Members
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:00 PM

:thumbsup: Bravo Grant! Last week I did exactly the same thing! We must have been
reading the same forum at the same time.I decided the night before just to see if the
Wal-Mart had what I needed,I got a bag of 6 bottle corks.the grader,salt shaker,Krylon
Camo OD and I was set.I had no problems outside,just waited for the wind to die down
some.Started the next morning and that afternoon I had 2 restored fixed loop helmets.
You can't tell any difference between my 2 and either one of Josh Murray or ATF. I've
never been a artsy crafty type guy and all thumbs to,so if I can handle it,no problem.
It's also a whole lotta fun,you wouldn't think it,but it is.

That's great! Good work Mr.Jones! -Grant

#16 Corpsmancollector

Corpsmancollector
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,339
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:28 AM

Hey Will, I'm only 16 so I don't really have forty bucks to drop on a bag of J Murray cork :lol: so I take a different approach. When ever my parents finish a bottle of wine, or whenever I'm at a family gathering, I always go arround and collect the corks to all the wine bottles. I take a piece of cork and grate it on a cheese grater (I usually use about two corks per helmet (with plenty of cork left over). I take the grated cork and sift it through a small mesh strainer (for consistency). I put the sifted cork (which should feel like powder to the touch and also stick to your palms if your hands are sweaty) into an empty seasoning shaker. I then paint a stripped shell with Krylon flat olive drab (using a brush). When the paint is still wet I shake the cork onto the wet paint (this process can be messy, but do not do it outside since the wind will ruin your results). once dry I rub off any loose cork and then paint a couple coats with krylon flat olive drab paint (spray). I'm sure railroad cork would work just as well but it may not be cheaper. - Grant :thumbsup:
http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad303/gegustafson75/DSCF3315.jpg
http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad303/gegustafson75/DSCF3317.jpg
http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad303/gegustafson75/DSCF3316.jpg

Grant, that's genius! I had never thought of using a bottle cork and a cheese grater, I'll have to give this a go! :thumbsup:

When I do my next shell in a few weeks time, I'll try and post a how to or something.

Thanks for the inspiration, Grant!

#17 earlymb

earlymb
  • Members
    • Member ID: 80
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:49 AM

Grant, that's genius! I had never thought of using a bottle cork and a cheese grater, I'll have to give this a go! :thumbsup:

When I do my next shell in a few weeks time, I'll try and post a how to or something.

I think you need to use the coarser/bigger of the 2 grates?

See this link for some close-up pics of the original cork finish on an absolutely mint Schlueter:

http://www.usmilitar...lueter,and,mint

Greetz ;)

David

#18 Grant G.

Grant G.
  • Members
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 03:46 AM

I think you need to use the coarser/bigger of the 2 grates?

See this link for some close-up pics of the original cork finish on an absolutely mint Schlueter:

http://www.usmilitar...lueter,and,mint

Greetz ;)

David

Hey David, I use the very smallest side of the grater and those are the results i get, cork that has beeen grated using the large side is much to large- what looks small in your hand will look huge on a helmet, since the cork absorbs some paint and expands.
-Grant :thumbsup:

#19 Grant G.

Grant G.
  • Members
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 03:46 AM

Thank you very much! -Grant

#20 2ndID

2ndID
  • Members
    • Member ID: 10,142
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 03:52 PM

Great job, the helmet looks great! :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing your corking method.

Michael

#21 Grant G.

Grant G.
  • Members
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 04:32 PM

Great job, the helmet looks great! :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing your corking method.

Michael

Thank you very much Michael -Grant

#22 Radar44

Radar44
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 11,435
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 05:22 PM

Very Nice,
I wish I could do something like that for that price.

#23 Brian D

Brian D
  • Members
    • Member ID: 291
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:21 PM

Grant, just a great job! The lid looks great, and very industious of you to use wine cork to redo it. Brilliant work, and it looks great! :thumbsup:

#24 ccmax

ccmax
  • Members
    • Member ID: 19
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:47 AM

Great restoration, looks close to the real thing.

#25 gaz232sqn

gaz232sqn
  • Members
  • 850 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:49 AM

Hi Grant.

Great tips,and as before a great finish, the cork and cheese grater idea is genius.

In the past I tried to, produce fine particled cork for a restoration job......I used my wife's food blender, and er,well she was'nt too pleased about it.....she made this quite clear "I'm not happy,about you using my blender". I replied "Me neither ,the corks far too big,your blender, is clearly not up to the job" :lol:

Anyway I digress, keep up the restoring ,Grant, your an inspiration,to the next generation of collectors. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users