628th Tank Destroyer Battalion

disneydave

disneydave

This decal features the Disney-designed insignia for the 628th Tank Destroyer Battalion. This design was created by Disney artists in March 1942.

The Battalion's motto was "Speed, Power, Destruction."

blog_628.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure if the unit adopted the design.

The info I record in the two databases I maintain includes the design's creation date (month and year), Disney artist if known, unit designation, image, any biographical information I have been able to find and any war era info related to the design: ie: photo of design in use, newspaper or magazine articles related to the design, unit produced info related to the design.

Then, of course, I always try and obtain a war era item related to the design and that could include: original art, patch, matchbook, drinking glass, menu, greeting card, unit history, b/w photo showing a serviceman wearing a patch or vehicle decorated with the design, etc.

Keep up the wonderful job you're doing here.

I for one find these designs very interesting.

Thanks for sharing.

Erwin

704thTDBn-Disneyart.jpg

I saw this on eBay.

It supposedly is of the 704th Tank Destroyer Battalion.

Does anyone have any information on it?

Thanks,

Erwin

Mislabelled.

That design was created in the spring of 1944 for Battery D of the 489th -an anti-aircraft artillery unit. A friend owns the original pencil art and the painted, finished art that was sent to the unit.

By the way, that patch looks like one of the repro ones currently being made in England...if I recall, they do a wide range of high quality stitched felt patches including several Disney designs.

Ah, thank you very much for clearing that up.

I was looking through my files on the 704th TD Bn and nowhere I could find any reference to this design.

Yes, it is a repro, I found the one of the 13th Armored Division for sale there too.

Erwin