Hood, Wool, OD, Protective

Sabrejet

This is a less than glamorous item but an important one nevertheless. Made of the same OD wool flannel as G.I. shirts and lined with orange cotton interlock, the Hood, Wool, OD, Protective was an integral part of the GI's anti-gas kit. Designed to completely cover the head when worn in conjunction with a gas-mask, the hood offered protection from vesicant gases. The cloth was treated with Impregnite, a greasy compound which enhanced the hood's protection. Even though this item is over 60 years old it has still retained its greasy feel! This was also the stuff that was applied to the uniforms of D-Day assault troops. Written accounts by veterans bear witness to how unpleasant it apparently was!

The hood is cut quite large...possibly to allow it to fit over a helmet? There's a knitted border which surronds the face and holds it close to the mask, thus sealing all gaps. It fastens with three large plastic buttons and has a large, round cloak-like collar which covers the neck and shoulders. Inside, there's a small tab with two buttonholes on the inside (see photo) which enable the hood to be attached to the buttons under the collars of GI shirts and HBTs etc.

As an emergency expedient during the harsh winter of '44-'45, these hoods were pressed into service as cold-weather wear until supplies of more suitable items reached the troops!

post-8022-1265137720.jpg post-8022-1265137705.jpg

Sabrejet

I have one of these that I bought as NOS sometime in the '80s-'90s. It had just come from storage somewhere,and it still had a strong chemical smell to it-I can't even imagine how unpleasant it would have been to wear that hood during the war. They would not have made too bad a winter hood,being such thick wool. I have a Yank magazine from the time of the Bulge showing a soldier wearing one on the cover.

I have two styles of this hood, the treated and untreated versions. The treated version is mint, but still sticky to this day. I store it in a big zip lock bag to keep the treatmant material contained. Interestingly, no chemical smell though on this item.

Maybe mine was treated with some sort of mothproofing-it smelled very strongly when I got it,but there did not seem to be any sticky coating on it. The smell has faded away over the years.

Boyt44, What does the QM tag in your hood read? It may not be a treated hood, but still a smelly one nonetheless. The QM tag on my treated hood reads HOODS, WORSTED, PROTECTIVE.

Saberjet, BTW. That yellow lining material in your hood is sorta interesting, because my protective hood has a white liner and my standard hood has a green liner material.

Bob

Ah, one of my favorite W.W.II Army pieces :) For some reason, I just think these are neat.

I have 4 or 5 of these things, and each one has a different colored inner lining.