A2 flight jackets

Sjef

Hi there,

Since I do not have permission to start a topic in the REFERENCE forum, I will place it here. The moderators can maybe give it a better place.

Two days ago I was very lucky to win this WWII Aero Leather Clothing A2 Flight Jacket relatively cheap. (I was not realy expecting to win.)

post-9199-1264535935.jpg

post-9199-1264535945.jpg

Its waistband and zipper need replacement. The lining has some damage too, but as I am not planning to ever wear it, so I am leaving the lining as it is (According to the seller the cuffs were replaced in the 80’s by Eastman.)

It is still on its way from the UK, but I am planning to send it to Aero Leather Clothing in Scotland to have it restored.

They offer original deadstock Talon zippers for £50. Those are probably the more common nickel variants with a half moon opening in the slider, like this one:

post-9199-1264535953.jpg

Would that kind of zipper be historically correct for this Aero Leather A2?

Also I would appreciate if you can post pictures of your WWII A2 jackets here. Would be nice to have some reference material on the USMF.

Thanks!

Just my opinion here, but why replace the zipper at all? if you're not going to wear it, then a zipper that only partially closes probably won't hurt the displayability. If you don't replace it, it will always have the original zipper even non-working but it will only be original once. Its a nice looking jacket as it is. I had a nice A-2 from the 2nd bomb group. Patches and all, but the original owner's grandaughter cut off the cuffs to wear it. I never replaced them, just bought a pair of original ones and tucked them in the sleeve ends for display. One other thing is that I've seen some real hack jobs that have very seriously hurt the value of a piece, so if you do replace the zipper get references.

Tom Bowers

I agree with Tom, if you're never going to wear it, I would leave it as is.

If you do however decide to replace the zipper, Aero Leather is the best place to do it, and the Talon you showed would be accurate.

Best,

JD

Thanks for your advice Tom and JD!!

I think you are right.

I just make sure I condition the leather and leave the waistband and zipper as it is. It might not even look too bad on a display to leave the jacket half open.

And reading references on several internet forums Aero Leather is indeed probably the best place for restauration.

I am still encouraging everyone with an A2 in their possession to post photos of it to have some reference material.

As soon as mine is in I will post some pictures.

Johnny Signor

If you're really into photos of actual WW2 Leather jackets you need to go over to this site,

vintageleatherjackets.org they have plenty shown there or this site

thefedoralounge.com and look under "outerwear"

Both sites have AVID leather jacket collectors and topic pages.

Here is an A2 that I have been trying to id for years without any luck.

It has an enema bottle with wings on reverse with "HI ENEMA" on bottle and

bombs dropping from hose. Front has leather 14th AF patch and name stenciled

E.J.Becker on left breast.

Any help with ID is appreciated.

post-388-1265126591.jpg

post-388-1265126599.jpg

Hello

I agree. Do not replace anything. It is fine just the way it is, a 60+ year old piece of history. If yopu want a wearing one, then get one of the current repros.

If you are interested in WW2 aviation clothing, I have 3 books I am currently offering. They are 110.00 plus shipping. They are great references. Also here are my flight jackets. Ron

Hello

I agree. Do not replace anything. It is fine just the way it is, a 60+ year old piece of history. If yopu want a wearing one, then get one of the current repros.

If you are interested in WW2 aviation clothing, I have 3 books I am currently offering. They are 110.00 plus shipping. They are great references. Also here are my flight jackets. Ron

I have got a repro Star Sportswear A2 by Eastman for daily wear. Don't worry I would not dare to wear an original. It always amazes me that there are people who would even consider wearing an original and I think we can all agree on that.

usaf70 and Ronald, your jackets look really great!! :w00t:

As I am relatively novice in the field of the USAAF I am not sure if I can be of any help on ID-ing your A2 usaf70. But it is in my memory now and as soon as I come across something that might be of help I will let you know.

I am planning to get a torso to put my WII A2 jacket on. Than I will post some pictures of mine.

Ronald, Concerning your books. I will take that into consideration. I already have Silver Wings, Pinks & Greens and spend a lot of money on items the last few weeks. But I will get back to you on that.

Cheers!

Here is an A2 from the Imperial War Museum in London.

Unfortunately I had to photograph it from an angle because of the flash reflecting in the glass.

post-9199-1265449751.jpg

post-9199-1265449764.jpg

And some close-ups of the insignia

post-9199-1265450374.jpg

post-9199-1265450382.jpg

At the New England Air Museum in Hartford (US) they have a quite a collection of Flying Tigers artefacts containing a few beautiful A2s! Somehow I must have erased the photographs. :crying:

They also have a B29 and several other bombers and fighters by the way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally got my torso.

Here is my Aero Leather Clothing A2.

post-9199-1267199800.jpg

post-9199-1267199744.jpg

There are some stitch holes on the epaulets (probably from lieutenant bars) and on the left chest from a nametag.

Some day in the future, when the money ones again burns in my pocket, I will buy a nice WWII A2 with nose art and patches (preferably 5th, 13th or 8th Air Force).

At the New England Air Museum in Hartford (US) they have quite a collection of Flying Tigers artefacts containing a few beautiful A2s! Somehow I must have erased the photographs. :crying:

Found it!!

post-9199-1267202578.jpg

The text in the front says:

A-2 flight jacket worn by Gen. Claire Lee Chennault

Gift of Max Chennault on behalf of his children and grandchildren