• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gutkowski

Gutkowski
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,110
  • 319 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 07:27 AM

I have been running usmctags for awhile now if you are looking for some blank or stamped tags this is the place :D
www.usmctags.com

Edited by Gutkowski, 18 June 2007 - 07:29 AM.

#2 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,954 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:56 PM

you should put up a picture of a finished set of stamped tags so people can see what they look like when finished. I'd like to see

#3 Gutkowski

Gutkowski
  • Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 05:17 PM

you should put up a picture of a finished set of stamped tags so people can see what they look like when finished. I'd like to see

Here is a sample (error tag )
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/gutkowski/IMG_1107.jpg

#4 GLM *Deceased*

GLM *Deceased*

DECEASED

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 84
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 12:36 AM

Here is a sample (error tag )
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/gutkowski/IMG_1107.jpg

While this is an obvious error tag, I'm guessing you can make exact replica fakes of early USMC ID tags. My question is, why? What's the purpose of making repro ID tags? Is it for reenacting? Have you seen any of your tags on eBay being sold as originals yet? I don't begrudge anyone wanting to reenact, but are you keeping track of the tags you make to warn serious USMC collecting members here in case they show up on eBay listed as originals? They are very convincing and in my mind, yet one more field of collecting that is now kaput.

Gary

#5 Gutkowski

Gutkowski
  • Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 05:47 AM

While this is an obvious error tag, I'm guessing you can make exact replica fakes of early USMC ID tags. My question is, why? What's the purpose of making repro ID tags? Is it for reenacting? Have you seen any of your tags on eBay being sold as originals yet? I don't begrudge anyone wanting to reenact, but are you keeping track of the tags you make to warn serious USMC collecting members here in case they show up on eBay listed as originals? They are very convincing and in my mind, yet one more field of collecting that is now kaput.

Gary

Gary ,
The field of USMC tag collecting is not kaput lol I make my tags out of stainless steel which will stay bright unlike Monel tags that were made in WWII will tarnish to a pewter color so the originals will stay darker than mine will ever get ,Plus the type set is different that the originals and yes I do have a list of the tags and names that are on them . The top is my blank and the bottom is a WWII original and the original is magnetic and mine is not plus I sell my sets with a one hole tag and two hole tag as a set . http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/gutkowski/IMG_1119.jpg

and if you look close the tags are engraved and not stamped
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/gutkowski/IMG_1114.jpg

I hope this eases you worry's about the hobby of tag collecting

#6 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,954 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:02 AM

yeah, I read about the steel. look pretty good

#7 GLM *Deceased*

GLM *Deceased*

DECEASED

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 84
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:13 PM

Gary ,
The field of USMC tag collecting is not kaput lol I make my tags out of stainless steel which will stay bright unlike Monel tags that were made in WWII will tarnish to a pewter color so the originals will stay darker than mine will ever get ,Plus the type set is different that the originals and yes I do have a list of the tags and names that are on them . The top is my blank and the bottom is a WWII original and the original is magnetic and mine is not plus I sell my sets with a one hole tag and two hole tag as a set . http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/gutkowski/IMG_1119.jpg

and if you look close the tags are engraved and not stamped
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/gutkowski/IMG_1114.jpg

I hope this eases you worry's about the hobby of tag collecting

To show collectors who might become interested in collecting USMC and USMCR ID tags used by the Marine Corps during WWII and the metals used, I scanned a small collection of 9 completely different ones I have found in groupings over the years. There was no set rule for metal types used!

Because I know that one of the last things a veteran is reluctant to give up to anyone in his lifetime is his personal identity he wore around his neck for years, I find it distressing that these would be reproduced at the same time many Marine veterans from WWII are dying and their ID tags becoming available on the market. I'm not so sure newer or novice collectors that pay triple digit prices for Raider or Paramarine ID discs are going to pay attention to whether they're engraved or stamped before learning through trial and error, even though that is good information to know, but I wonder if a piece of steel wool and a hammer would camoflage this enough to fool some collectors? I just hope you use common sense and caution when and if some of the crooks approach you to make ID tags from a Raider muster roll. Do you also do thumbprints?

I don't mean to be a hard case or nay sayer, but man, there's enough reproduced stuff out there already and this is just one more the serious collectors should be aware of, considering the prices original WWII Marine discs are selling for.

FYI - As for original metals and type sets used during WWII; they were made from magnetic (rustable) steel, stainless steel, Monel and brass. They can also be magnetic and non-magnetic. There were also three completely different type sets used that I know of, including one that is pretty doggone close to the type set you use.

Gary

Attached Images

• tags.jpg

Edited by GLM, 24 June 2007 - 06:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users