• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DMD

DMD
  • Members
    • Member ID: 311
  • 515 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 06:34 PM

This is the best photo I have of the back of these Technical Observer wings. You can see the "large hallmark" LGB Sterling that is not typical of an authentic wing. Note the drop-in catch. I would avoid any Balfour wings with this large marking.

Dennis

Attached Images

• 1181153053_9945.jpg

#2 Gary Cain

Gary Cain
  • Members
    • Member ID: 96
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 07:59 PM

Hiu
Dennis,

You are correct. I have seen that engraving on fake Balfour and JR Gaunt wings here on the west coast.

Gary

This is the best photo I have of the back of these Technical Observer wings. You can see the "large hallmark" LGB Sterling that is not typical of an authentic wing. Note the drop-in catch. I would avoid any Balfour wings with this large marking.

Dennis

#3 John Cooper

John Cooper
  • Members
    • Member ID: 227
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 09:07 PM

Dennis I agree with Gary - not even a good try at making it similar. Can you please post a detailed shot of the front.

Thanks

John

#4 DMD

DMD
  • Members
    • Member ID: 311
  • 515 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 03:30 AM

These just showed up on ebay.

About 10 years ago, there was a collector who was selling his stuff at local gun shows. Most of what he had was good, but he had several wings with the large markings. I haven't seen any since. He had this style of TO wing, with the solid O, as well as the type with the open O.

Attached Images

• 1181152866_4011.jpg

Edited by DMD, 09 June 2007 - 03:37 AM.

#5 John Cooper

John Cooper
  • Members
    • Member ID: 227
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 08:15 PM

I found them on Ebay... gee wiz they are not even close....

#6 Paul C.

Paul C.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 182
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 05:15 AM

I agree with John, not even close!

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

It's at one of those "list it for you" sellers, I have determined they must be great place to dump your fakes especially, if you don't want anyone to know the real seller!!

Edited by Paul C., 11 June 2007 - 05:22 AM.

#7 none

none
  • Banned
    • Member ID: 1,465
  • 251 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:34 AM

A group in Scottsdale, AZ is taking real and sometimes restrike and engraving them with names, hallmarks and dates. They forget many times to age the engraving cuts, so they will appear new and not tarnished. Also they only use two font styles. The FBI was alerted about these guys. Don't know if they did anything, but most of their work is no longer carried on ebay.

Joe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users