1918 Garrison and Collar USMC EGA

teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

In January 1918 the AEF general command issued orders for all Marines in the AEF requiring the wear of the regulation Army uniform, to replace the Corps uniform for the duration of the war. With that; the introduction of the garrison cover AKA”the pisscutter” was introduced into Marine Corps daily wear. During this AEF period various types of garrison covers were worn and one will often see the photo evidence of these and the use of the left or right collar emblem on the pisscutter. Enlisted Marines used the emblem from their field hat, while officers used most commonly the French made emblem shown below.

In 1920 the summer service garrison cap became a standard item of the sea bag and both officers and enlisted began the use of the standard collar emblem as authorized in 1920. These French made devices were then retired from use. Thus these pieces have some degree of rarity, given the number of Officer’s on the muster roles of the period. Although it was common practice for all Marines to wear emblems (which were serviceable) after the period of introduction of a new pattern, its highly unlikely these were worn once the Corps entered the 20’s

Some may likely not view these emblems as being attractive. However the French manufactures produced an elegant pattern, which bears the accepted pattern of the period. And continued in the production of highly detailed period pieces well into the WW2 period. Thus, this emblem has a prominent place in the history and development of the Eagle, Globe & Anchor.

The emblem shown here carries the styling which originated in the rare period pieces of the late 19th century. Its charm is depicted in the heavy weight and styling features including a heavily detailed eagle and wings outlined in with individual feathers in a stacked manner. And an anchor and flukes that nearly wrap the continent, and reach to the wing tip of the eagle. On the rear a unique "C" clip is used featuring a drop pin to hold the pin in place. A very desirable period original of WW1.

post_376_1180207128.jpg

post_376_1180207533.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
teufelhunde.ret

A cousin has recently appeared on ebay... appears the original pin has been replaced by a common safety pin???

french_left_collar_ww1.jpg

french_left_collar_ww1.2jpg.jpg

• 1 year later...
teufelhunde.ret
Both a little worn, but I'll take these when I find'em

DJ

You betcha! Dennis these are indeed scarce as hen's teeth! and to find a pair! Congrat's! I have wondered for a long time, why it is the right collar emblems always show the globe mounted with a 20 degree twist and the left collar emblems are straight up and latitude line parallel to the deck...? Anyone else notice? I've taken a look at all shown in the posts throughout the forum, even the emblems with the "swept back" anchor stock - same case? Thoughts anyone? s/f Darrell

one from my collection...

post_376_1186168423.jpg

Leatherneck72
wonderful, wonderful pair of emblems...

makes the pair of birds I have coming blush in comparrison

Are these courtesy of Flying Tiger Antiques? They look familiar....

Are these courtesy of Flying Tiger Antiques? They look familiar....

Is nothing sacred? - Yes, they are - were they your's at some point??

Best, Dennis