1916/20 period Unmarked barracks cover emblem

teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

This emblem serves as another example how some period designs seem to drift together and certain features and characteristics seem move forward as the EGA design progressed throughout the first half of the 20th century. In email with Gary we have discussed this emblem, he also has this emblem in virtually identical condition / design. He lovingly refers to it as the "beast". And proportions do in fact lend themselves to the nickname.

For reference; Orgil's work describes this emblem: "This piece shows unconventional fouling, but no arrangement for the rope had been specified in the regulations. Unmarked. Similar to the styles originating in 1904, but probably made between 1916 and 1920"

For certain, if this design originated in that period (as the eagle surely is) the anchors position (on the Globe) and long anchor length, where representative of the period. The method of the rope fouling was certainly not a method of the period and is representative of fouling methods done years latter. Another element unique to this emblem is the extreme length of the post screw and nut. the nut is lightly barbed and seems to wobble as it is screwed on.

An oddity for certain, if any other collectors have one... please post. Would be very informative to know the extent of this emblem in collections. Regards;

1920_16_cover_002.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
teufelhunde.ret

Gary, finally got into that closet (found the Wolf - Brown long since forgotten too, in another post).

This emblem is virtually identical to the other posted previously here. The was emblem obtained at the same time of the Wolf - Brown carded emblems. The card shows no evidence whatsoever of any other emblem having been mounted.

What do you think, an unmarked Gemso?

Note the fashion in which the wire ropes were used thumbsup.gif

1916___20_pattern_001.jpg

Darrell,

This pattern service emblem has always been a mystery to me. The GEMSCO card is the first time I have seen any evidence of them attributed to a specific maker, so much welcome news. Your card does appear to have only been used to hold this emblem, so maybe you have solved the mystery and we finally have a maker pinned down to this rather beastly, unattractive emblem. One thing for sure, though, if GEMSCO did make them, they certainly didn't want to put their name to their product. To date, no maker marked examples have been observed by me.

I'm still having problems with figuring out which loop to use with my camera to get clear, crisp photos, but here is my emblem of the same type. As you can basically see, identical to the two you have posted. Same unusual fouling of the rope and same roller nut.

Gary

post-84-1181108352.jpg

post-84-1181108451.jpg

post-84-1181108500.jpg

This pattern was also made for the dress cover or hat. Here are two examples from eBay several years ago. I had bid on both of them, but several other collectors felt they were very valuable and bid accordingly. They went very high! I kept the photos from the auctions for reference.

There are a couple differences with the dress emblem and service emblem, but basically, the same emblem in every way. Note the different rope fouling, with the pre 1936 "looped" versus the post 1936 "oddly fouled" found on service emblems of the same pattern. Also note that the maker used the rope cups to secure the rope to the bottom anchor fluke, whereas the service emblems had the ropes secured by tucking the rope ends under additional fouling. Another difference with the dress emblems is the "fletchings" between the latitude lines. Some collectors I've talked with believe these emblems were mass produced during the huge Officer Corps buildup during WWI, so hopefully, one day someone will come up with an unmessed cover or hat that has this emblem. Even with the dress emblems, the closest we come to a maker is the Sterling and 10K marks.

post-84-1181110230.jpg

post-84-1181110259.jpg

post-84-1181110284.jpg

post-84-1181110311.jpg