• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Got da Penny

Got da Penny
  • Members
    • Member ID: 633
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 04:12 PM

Can any good member shed some light on this medal??

Appears to have a US eagle Civil War Style in center. with enamel white arms.

Thank You for any and all help.

MVC_001F.JPG

MVC_002F.JPG

#2 Got da Penny

Got da Penny
  • Members
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 04:12 PM

MVC_003F.JPG

MVC_004F.JPG

#3 CNY Militaria

CNY Militaria

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 94
  • 9,533 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 04:17 PM

I see this one all the time, Its a Masonic Knights Templar medal.

#4 Got da Penny

Got da Penny
  • Members
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 04:56 PM

Once again, you come to my assistance.. thanks Schottzie. !!!

Do they bring any money on ePay? probably not.

Thanks, CS

#5 CNY Militaria

CNY Militaria

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 94
  • 9,533 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 05:01 PM

I think $10-15. Thats what I see them priced at shows and such.

Justin

Edited by Schottzie, 17 April 2007 - 05:01 PM.

#6 Jason Hlavacek

Jason Hlavacek
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 222
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:19 PM

I've got one with two bars nicely enameld on the ribbon 1 says "Missouri" and the other "St. Louis No. 1" for the commandry
See this page for a current version (near bottom) the "Malta Jewel"
http://www.lafsco.com/morekt.html

Edited by Jason Hlavacek, 17 April 2007 - 07:19 PM.

#7 cpatrick

cpatrick
  • Inactive
    • Member ID: 548
  • 851 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:34 PM

I have also seen some of the earlier ones pinned to Grand Army of the Republic coats, C. 1910, or so. They are still making the same medal, and the configuration has not changed too much over the years. Many of these Masonic groups, and other like fraternal organizations boasted a patriotic flavor, which was so prominant when the organizations were in their hay-day. It was not uncommon to see these organizations present at Civil War parades and reunions, as many of their members were also veterans. Early Masonic items can command very high prices. Your's appears to be a piece out of the 20's or so. Value - I am not sure...

Chris

#8 SARGE

SARGE

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 130
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:19 AM

I have also seen some of the earlier ones pinned to Grand Army of the Republic coats, C. 1910, or so. They are still making the same medal, and the configuration has not changed too much over the years. Many of these Masonic groups, and other like fraternal organizations boasted a patriotic flavor, which was so prominant when the organizations were in their hay-day. It was not uncommon to see these organizations present at Civil War parades and reunions, as many of their members were also veterans. Early Masonic items can command very high prices. Your's appears to be a piece out of the 20's or so. Value - I am not sure...

Chris

As Chris says, they do have a military association through the GAR. They are often referred to as GAR "Mourning Medals" and will be seen in wear at GAR funerals. Some slight variation will be seen in the central device and the black ribbon attachments. Here is one on a GAR uniform that has the "E Pluribus Unum" motto around the eagle.

GAR_Mourning_medal.JPG

Notice that in the first medal the eagle faces the arrows of war while in this medal the eagle faces the olilve branch of peace.

Edited by SARGE, 18 April 2007 - 06:21 AM.

#9 Mark M

Mark M
  • Members
    • Member ID: 569
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:21 PM

Forum members:

You are in the MEDALS & DECORATIONS "Reference Section". This area is where posts from the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (http://www.usmilitar.....?showforum=83) are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the various U.S. medals and military decorations.

As time moves forward, some of these posts may have additional information added to them by the moderators of this section. We ask for your input as well, especially in the correction of any erroneous information that may have inadvertently be posted..

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (here: http://www.usmilitar.....?showforum=83). And, as needed, we will be pleased to move any new and / or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised: posting and / or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff.

Sincerely,
Chris / ADMIN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)