What equipment would a WWI era corpsman carry?

subsystem4

subsystem4

What web equipment would a WWI era corpsman carry? An army type medics belt, two canteens, and the other gear carried by army medics? I wasn't sure if this topic had been discussed yet.

-Jason

subsystem4

That's a great reference Gunbarrel but i was asking about the equipment of a Navy corpsman of the era. I should have said NAVY in my post. Sorry I'm an idiot.

-Jason

subsystem4

Thanks GB! Great thread. That answered all my questions. I don't know how i missed that one.

-Jason

gunbarrel

Jason,

You are very welcome. You probably noticed that the post says:

The medical kit and personal field gear issued to Navy corpsmen was the same as that carried by the first aid men of the Army and the centerpiece of the equipment worn by this pharmacists mate is the ten pocket, Hospital Corps Field Belt.

That's why I referred you to the book online. I recently obtained a copy of the USN Hand(y) Book for The Hospital Corps ( http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=41660 ) and it doesn't have any of the information you were looking for.

world war I nerd

Hi Subsystem 4,

Here are some ideas for a WW I Navy Corpsman display.

There were several types of Red Cross Brassards worn by the AEF, which included the standard U.S. issued brassard with a red cross on a white rectangular shaped background fixed by snaps or safety pins, French issued which was oval shaped and tapered to about one inch at the back, ending in a white metal buckle, even British brassards with the initials “SB” for Stretcher Bearer in red on a blue or black background could be worn. Later in the war a number was stamped onto the Red Cross Brassards, which matched an ID card carried by authorized medics, stretcher bearers etc. This was done because MP’s posted behind the lines were apprehending “slackers” who were impersonating medical personnel to avoid combat.

It really wouldn’t matter if an eagle snap or lift the dot ten pocket medical belt was worn, as all information seems to indicate that the medical belts were developed in 1916 but there was a delay in production and they didn’t see Army wide issue until 1917, that’s why so many of the eagle snap belts are dated 1917.

According to the Medical Department the belts were to include the M1910 Hand Ax & Carrier, M1910 Diagnosis Pouch and m1910 Canteen & Carrier, the canteen would also need a M1910 Belt Extension, otherwise the canteen wouldn’t clear the bulky pocket of the medical belt. Obviously, the configuration and arrangement of the equipment hung from the belt could vary from Corpsman to Corpsman based on their experience and needs in the field. Other equipment that could be worn on the belt is a M1910 or 1917 Bolo Knife in place of the hand ax, a personal M1910 Army First Aid Pouch or M1911 Navy First Aid Packet, a M1916 Squad Leaders Pouch ( I’ve seen these marked with a red cross), M1910 Haversack with Meat Can Pouch and with or without the M1910 Shovel & Carrier.

Ever since the Marines went thirsty during Belleau Woods extra canteens of water became common among the front line troops and especially with the Corpsmen and Army medics, many of whom preferred the French 2 liter “Bidon” because of its larger capacity and the fact that it was slung from the shoulder, making it much more handy and easier to use. In fact the Army realized this and was going to issue each soldier with a second canteen. It developed a new U.S. canteen carrier that was slung from a shoulder strap to be issued in 1919.

It was also common for medical personnel to augment the medical supplies carried in the belt by carrying a M1911 Hospital Corps or Orderlies Pouch, as well as private purchase Mussette Bags made of canvas or canvas & leather, also empty six pocket cloth bandoleers for the Springfield rifle would have been an excellent field expedient for carrying additional paper or cardboard wrapped field dressings. The disposable bandoleers would have littered the battlefield, as Marines & Doughboys were issued between two and ten of these before any engagement, many of which were thrown away at the first opportunity in order to lighten their load.

Finally, in addition to his personal gasmask it was a common practice for AEF Corpsmen and medics to carry several of the lightweight French M2 Gasmasks to use on injured Marines and soldiers because men who were unconscious could not grasp the mouthpiece of the normal gasmask and soldiers with serious head wounds were not able to wear the tight fitting small box respirator.

I’m sure I’ve forgotten something but this should get you started; if you need more detailed information on any thing let me know.

Good luck….Brian

subsystem4

GB and Brian thanks for your help and the information. I have a torso form, medics belt, 1910 pack and some other misc WWI gear i am going to use for my display. I just have to find a WWI army tunic without patches or collar insignia to use and a gas mask bag.

Corpsmancollector

Great topic gents thumbsup.gif

Subsystem4, I'm in a similar position so found this very helpful! - Thanks!

Can I ask a stupid question: Was it common practice for marines/corpsman to wear army tunics? (Not sure if that's phrased properly, hope you get what I mean!)

Thanks in advance

world war I nerd

The Marines arrived in France wearing their forest green uniforms which were initially replaced by similar forest green uniforms until they were no longer available in France.

In January 1918, Pershing decreed that all members of the AEF would wear Army khaki and no longer allowed the Marine forest green uniforms to be shipped overseas and some time after that date when the existing supplies of forest green uniforms dwindled overseas, all USMC and Navy Corpsmen began to be issued with replacement clothing drawn from Army supplies.

However all replacement Marines coming from the U.S. still arrived in country wearing the distinctive forest green uniform and the Marine company's began to take on a mottled appearance with the veterans wearing khaki and the rookies wearing forest green. There is much debate among the collecting community as to when the Marines began to officially make the change from forest green to khaki, as there is no known date when the reserve supply of Marine uniforms in France were actually used up.

It would seem logical that every article of clothing did not run out at the same time, and given the shortage of many items of clothing and equipment early in 1918, there must have been a period when the Marines were wearing forest green service coats with khaki breeches and vice-versa. In fact at one point the AEF or at least the Marines were so desperate for replacement uniforms, blankets, etc. that an order went out to open all of the Marine's sea bags that were in storage and remove all clothing and blankets. According to this diary entry made by a corporal H. Fletcher Davidson, 81st Company, 6th Machine Gun Battalion, 2nd Division,

"We received orders to pack up everything we owned in our seabags except what would be absolutely necessary for a two week trip to the trenches and the sea bags would be stored. That is where the Marines lost practically everything of their personal property. The bags, they say are still in storage, the bags may be, I doubt if there is anything in them, for they cut all the locks off of them and took out such clothing and blankets as they might contain to reissue. I have heard from the men who claimed they knew that everything was dumped out and the clothes separated and the S.O.S. guys that were doing the stunt took anything else they wanted and what no one wanted was put back in."

The Marines being fiercely tribal, and wanting to stand out from their Army counterparts took to transferring the USMC buttons and chevrons from the worn out forest green uniforms to the Army khaki and on a limited basis some wore the earth, globe and anchor cap badge on their helmets (another a point of contention among collectors, as to if and when) but archeological evidence and some photos do support this fact. To this day numerous USMC buttons, EG&A devices and even USMC collar discs have been dug up in almost all areas where the Marines fought in France, up to and including St. Mihiel in September of 1918 and Blanc Mont in October of 1918.

Corpsmancollector
The Marines arrived in France wearing their forest green uniforms which were initially replaced by similar forest green uniforms until they were no longer available in France.

In January 1918, Pershing decreed that all members of the AEF would wear Army khaki and no longer allowed the Marine forest green uniforms to be shipped overseas and some time after that date when the existing supplies of forest green uniforms dwindled overseas, all USMC and Navy Corpsmen began to be issued with replacement clothing drawn from Army supplies.

However all replacement Marines coming from the U.S. still arrived in country wearing the distinctive forest green uniform and the Marine company's began to take on a mottled appearance with the veterans wearing khaki and the rookies wearing forest green. There is much debate among the collecting community as to when the Marines began to officially make the change from forest green to khaki, as there is no known date when the reserve supply of Marine uniforms in France were actually used up.

It would seem logical that every article of clothing did not run out at the same time, and given the shortage of many items of clothing and equipment early in 1918, there must have been a period when the Marines were wearing forest green service coats with khaki breeches and vice-versa. In fact at one point the AEF or at least the Marines were so desperate for replacement uniforms, blankets, etc. that an order went out to open all of the Marine's sea bags that were in storage and remove all clothing and blankets. According to this diary entry made by a corporal H. Fletcher Davidson, 81st Company, 6th Machine Gun Battalion, 2nd Division,

"We received orders to pack up everything we owned in our seabags except what would be absolutely necessary for a two week trip to the trenches and the sea bags would be stored. That is where the Marines lost practically everything of their personal property. The bags, they say are still in storage, the bags may be, I doubt if there is anything in them, for they cut all the locks off of them and took out such clothing and blankets as they might contain to reissue. I have heard from the men who claimed they knew that everything was dumped out and the clothes separated and the S.O.S. guys that were doing the stunt took anything else they wanted and what no one wanted was put back in."

The Marines being fiercely tribal, and wanting to stand out from their Army counterparts took to transferring the USMC buttons and chevrons from the worn out forest green uniforms to the Army khaki and on a limited basis some wore the earth, globe and anchor cap badge on their helmets (another a point of contention among collectors, as to if and when) but archeological evidence and some photos do support this fact. To this day numerous USMC buttons, EG&A devices and even USMC collar discs have been dug up in almost all areas where the Marines fought in France, up to and including St. Mihiel in September of 1918 and Blanc Mont in October of 1918.

Thank you for a fascinating and wonderful insight! That's great to know. I've seen a few more khaki tunics than forest green ones, so one of those could do for now :)

Unbelievable about the sea bags, there must have been an awful lot of ticked off marines!

Someone here mentioned snaps on a medics/corpsman red cross brassard. I have one, stitched on red cross, 3 rows of snaps (adjustable) and the only marking is "US" with a caduseus between the U and the S. Could this be a WWI U.S. brassard???

gunbarrel

DocRick,

Why don't we start a new post about U.S. military red cross brassards? think.gif I don't think there is one, and we can learn from each other. You can post pictures of yours and I've got a couple, myself. I'll start the post tonight, if you haven't got around to it.

subsystem4
Looks like a seller on eBay came across some nice WWI medic items--maybe at a estate sale? I wish the pictures were better, but I'm going to post the links so that everyone can see them.

WWI Medic Belt With Accessories

WWI Syringe Kit

WWI Forceps Pouch (notice the belt hooks!)

I saw this too. I think the picture with the belt hooks is the back of the pouch for instruments and tags, not the forceps pouch.

gunbarrel
I saw this too. I think the picture with the belt hooks is the back of the pouch for instruments and tags, not the forceps pouch.

Oh--O.K. My mistake. I thought it was kind of odd...

world war I nerd
Someone here mentioned snaps on a medics/corpsman red cross brassard. I have one, stitched on red cross, 3 rows of snaps (adjustable) and the only marking is "US" with a caduseus between the U and the S. Could this be a WWI U.S. brassard???

Hi DocRick,

Any chance of posting a photo of the overall brassard and a detail of the snaps and the markings? This would help to date it.

thanks

Corpsmancollector

I saw the belt with the diagnostics tag pouch etc. Lovely piece especially as its got a fair emount of contents! Ive just picked up an identical belt, and $300 is rather a lot.

Good idea gunbarrel, I dont know an awful lot about brassards and we can all learn from each other as you say. thumbsup.gif

world war I nerd

Here's a photo of an Army dentist and a Chaplain. The Chaplain is wearing a Red Cross Brassard

post-5143-1241450063.jpg

world war I nerd

Another photo, this time of stretcher bearers or ambulance personnel at a triage center. The man in the center could be a Doughboy issued with an pattern 1902 Service Coat. The AEF purchased a large number of these uniforms, the same type as worn by the British "Tommy's", from the English Government to augment their supplies of Army khaki service dress.

post-5143-1241450513.jpg

mark headlee
Another photo of a Medic and shell shock victim.

Very interesting photo! Special note of the sweater and cartridge belt on the wouded soldier. Just a guess, but it looks like a 1911 sweater. The cartridge is an Eagle snap.

Mark Headlee