Desert Storm M14

Autopilot

Hey guys,

Currently working on a Desert Storm impression, I would like to know about M14 and airbrush paintwork. Ever seen M14's painted during Desert Shield/Storm? Any pics?

Thanks in advance!

Darktrooper
Hey guys,

Currently working on a Desert Storm impression, I would like to know about M14 and airbrush paintwork. Ever seen M14's painted during Desert Shield/Storm? Any pics?

Thanks in advance!

M14's were officially out of Army inventory since the mid 1960's after they were replaced by the M16. As far as I know no one had an M14 that wasnt an alphabet agency or SF.

As said before, M-14's were not being used in DS except as said by alphabet agencies. The war didn't last long enough for a need for them. There was little need for snipers and the snipers that were being used, used bolt guns for their work. M-14's were not carried in infantry units like they are now.

Interesting. I know a young man who was deployed for Desert Storm with the 504th as a Scout/Sniper. Either he or his buddies definitely carried a scoped M-14. I have seen the pix!

G

Dang it Gil, I gave it two post after my last before someone would post a pic of a M-14 in DS, my plan to draw one out has failed so far! :lol:

Dang it Gil, I gave it two post after my last before someone would post a pic of a M-14 in DS, my plan to draw one out has failed so far! :lol:

Hey Hawk,

I was COLT team, attached forward and we had M21's with iron sights as we as a group wanted a common caliber in our weapons (M21 M60).

We took off the scopes as we had a concern about sand damage to them.

Now we never got to play before the War was over and no we didn't paint them.

I would say a big no way for a M14 other than Navy, for the Gulf War. think.gif

101combatvet

You are correct.... they came right out of Anniston.... saw a few in Iraq also.

Interesting. I know a young man who was deployed for Desert Storm with the 508th as a Scout/Sniper. Either he or his buddies definitely carried a scoped M-14. I have seen the pix!

G

Well, here's the pic we published in the December, 1991 issue of FOOTLOCKER. That's Kirk in the center, looking toward the camera. Clearly he has an M21 (scoped M14) in his hands as do several others.

G

Kirk_sniper__Large_.jpg

Your picture doesn't show, it has the little red X. One thing about this board, when you say never, someone will always prove you wrong!

Well, take a look at the guy to Kirk's left -- M21 clearly silhouetted agains bright sand.

G

101combatvet

It's there.... actually.... there was even discussion of possibly releasing some M1Ds during that period. Yes.... you read that correctly M1Ds.

Well, I never said it was a popular weapon in DS ;) but indeed, I think to find one painted was just pushing it too far..

• 1 year later...

Hi all, reactivating an old post - we (I) and a few other in a recon plt of the 505PIR did carry m21s, mostly without the scopes using the iron sights. Here is a photo of me with mine. post-6798-1293864054.jpg

Hi all, reactivating an old post - we (I) and a few other in a recon plt of the 505PIR did carry m21s, mostly without the scopes using the iron sights. Here is a photo of me with mine. post-6798-1293864054.jpg

Is that a brass knuckle trench knife on your right hip?

That's definitely a Trench Knife, real or repro.

Just as an interesting story, During DS, through a series of events, as a Senioe Chief Signalman, I ended up as the Assistant Wepons Officer of an LSD (I had an Ensign and a GM1). Any way, when the war actually started, the Marine SGTMAJ came to me and wanted to trade M-16s, and 9mms for all the M-14s and .45s I had in my armoury. Ofcourse, I didn't trade and they ended up not going ashore any way, but they wanted them.

Steve Hesson