USMC General Thomas E. Bourke

Kurt Barickman

Kurt Barickman

Bourke was in the Maryland National Guard and was sent to the US Mexican Border and later joins the Marines, gets a commission in the 1920s. Becomes a artillery expert and was in charge of the 10th Marines on Guadalcanal as a colonel. When the 2nd Division goes to New Zealand after the canal, the 2nd Division commanding general Julian C. Smith makes Bourke a general and commands the 10th again on Tarawa where he earns the Legion of Merit. He is detached and becomes the artillery guru for all artillery on Saipan and later the liberation of the Phillipines. Then becomes the commanding general of the 5th Division in occupation in Japan after Rockey.

bourke_3.jpg

Kurt Barickman

Oops, the tans in the other photo. He and his wife are buried at Arlington. I also have a set of dress blues named to him when he was a captain onboard the USS Maryland dated 1929. I have his oral history from Quantico and it seems in the 1920s, he had to go in and relieve a Marine officer in Nicaraugua who had become drug addicted and whip the contingent back into shape.

Kurt Barickman

Hey Kurt !

Beautiful USMC uniforms and great history with them !!

Thanks for showing !!

Vic

Kurt,

Super group! - Seeing your great WW2 groups makes one want to stray from his sworn focus of WW1 Marines (& a little aviation thrown in). Really nice uniforms to a long time Marine!

Best, Dennis

Kurt Barickman

Thanks for the positive comments. He was with the Maryland National Guard during the Mexican Border incident. I will check his rather LARGE file I have at home and see when exactly he entered the Corps as a commissioned officer.

Kurt

Stinger Gunner USMC
Spectacular uniforms Kurt... any info were was he during WW1? s/f Darrell

Bourke was at St Croix, The Virgin Islands during 1917-18. as a LT and Capt

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Kurt Barickman

Okay, this one of the shoulder board button was the only one that would upload :think: Will have to do some resizing of the other ones. :blink:

Kurt Barickman

Kurt Barickman

Okay, this one of the shoulder board button was the only one that would upload :think: Will have to do some resizing of the other ones. :blink:

Kurt Barickman

Kurt Barickman

Nice shot of the 1904 officer dress EGA. I have several photos of Bourke wearing this exact set of blues.

bourke_5.jpg

Stinger Gunner USMC

Again, this is a very nice and historically important grouping!

Could you post detailed photos of the Generals stars that are on the greens. Those sure are some hard to find insignia!

• 3 weeks later...
Kurt Barickman

Thanks Stinger, I am having a difficult time getting my photos small enough for this forum?

Kurt Barickman