USMC M-1951 COLD WEATHER UNIFORMS

usmc-collector

usmc-collector

NOTE: This topic began as a comparison of "usmc-collectors" field jacket to a US Army M1943 MQ-1 field jacket..........marine-kabar

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think another example of this jacket, it is almost unused, not labels or stamps inside this jacket, it is made of heavier material (both jacket body and inside white pocket lining), similar to USMC M1951 parka I have, maybe USMC issue? Interesting detail, the lining around button closure is HBT tape reinforced.

post-31-1173696365.jpg

post-31-1173696388.jpg

post-31-1173696396.jpg

post-31-1173696405.jpg

Greg Robinson

If you compare the US Army M1950 field jacket to the M1943 the outer shell appears to be made of a heavier and stiffer fabric. Same for the inner pocket lining. And they have that same arrangement of inner liner buttons. The M1950 field jacket is unique in that it lacks the two inner liner buttons at the collar.

It could be USMC except that I've seen photos of a USMC Supply Depot made M1943 field jacket dated 1949-1950 and I own a Depot made M1951 dated 1951-1952. This suggests to me that the Marine Corps never adopted the M1950. If USMC made it should be marked similar to what you see in my attached pics located on the left side down low near the pocket.

FWIW....I own an M1943 field jacket also lacking any markings or labels except a size stamp near the collar. It appears to be an early war M1943 which was refitted with M1950 pattern liner buttons. Another oddball field jacket.

post-4-1173698419.jpg

post-4-1173698486.jpg

Greg Robinson

FYI....a USMC Supply Depot M1943 field jacket from a Japanese website. I can't verify if those strange color shades are correct. And a USMC Supply Depot M1951 from my collection.

And a USMC Supply Depot made parka....the ones seen worn by Marines in Korea. The M1951 parka was a bit late arriving over there. All three of these garments are stamped inside "SUPPLY DEPOT / US MARINE CORPS" and are usually dated.

I just read in a reference book written by a Korean War era Marine officer that the "long" parkas worn by Marines through out most of the war were "Navy" in origin. But the one I have is definitely marked US Marine Supply Department. And in this reference book are photos of Marines at the Chosin Reservoir wearing the identical parka to mine. The construction is very distinctive and unlike anything else I've ever seen. So maybe the Navy initially developed the garment and the Marines adopted it and even produced it for a while at their Phila Supply Depot.

post-4-1173699178.jpg

post-4-1173699311.jpg

post-4-1173699403.jpg

usmc-collector

Greg,

thank you for your opinion. I think it is post war jacket. For sure all buttons are original to jacket no later add on. These are all stitched with same collor thread (khaki not green).

post-31-1173701421.jpg

If these were added later on, due to construction of jacket these would be just surface stitched, but all buttons stitching is trough fabric prior assembly of jacket.

The long USMC parka is just beautifull thumbsup.gif , also looking to find one.

usmc-collector

My mint never used USMC M1951 Field jacket, it is has "SUPPLY DEPARTMENT / US MARINE CORPS" stamp with 1951-52 date, size is Large Regular

post-31-1173702056.jpg

Greg Robinson
Greg,

thank you for your opinion. I think it is post war jacket. For sure all buttons are original to jacket no later add on. These are all stitched with same collor thread (khaki not green).

If these were added later on, due to construction of jacket these would be just surface stitched, but all buttons stitching is trough fabric prior assembly of jacket.

The long USMC parka is just beautifull thumbsup.gif , also looking to find one.

Yeah...I agree...the liner buttons on your jacket are factory original which is why I call it an M1950 and not an M1943 that was later upgraded. And definitely a post WW2 mfg jacket in my opinion. I wish I could verify whether or not the Marines made the M1950.

My USMC Depot made M1951 jacket is a size "4" which fits like a large/regular.

Re the parka...THANKS....I never knew these existed until I saw mine for sale on ebay. Until then I thought the Marines had worn Army 1947 pattern "parka type overcoats" Korea.

FYI..... the Marines also purchased M1951 jacket liners from LW FOSTER. Early ones had white labels followed by those with inkstamped markings like the Army liners.

post-4-1173704277.jpg

post-4-1173704345.jpg

usmc-collector

Greg,

I think we should establish USMC M1951 Clothing reference topic, just to show marine issue M1951 items.

USMC M1951 parka hood

post-31-1173709126.jpg

Greg Robinson
Greg,

I think we should establish USMC M1951 Clothing reference topic, just to show marine issue M1951 items.

USMC M1951 parka hood

post-31-1173709126.jpg

Nice hood.....my USMC M1951 parka is an original set but has an early contract Army hood. I suspect the Marines purchases these from Army stocks just as they did with the pile field caps so a USMC contract parka hood is a nice pick up. :D

Greg Robinson

My example of the USMC M1951 field trousers have inkstamped markings. I believe the ones with white labels are a bit earlier. Here's my unissued liner for those trousers. And there's a USMC contract M1950 trouser suspender which I own but don't have a pic of. It looks just like the Army one.

post-4-1173719302.jpg

post-4-1173719363.jpg

And they also came out with a forest green flannel shirt during the Korean War. I've seen a photo of Marines in cold weather training in Alaska in the mid 1950's wearing these flannel shirts and the early brown alpaca lined parkas.

post-4-1173719653.jpg

post-4-1173719733.jpg

usmc-collector
And they also came out with a forest green flannel shirt during the Korean War. I've seen a photo of Marines in cold weather training in Alaska in the mid 1950's wearing these flannel shirts and the early brown alpaca lined parkas.

Yes, this shirt green flannel was optional item to M1951 Cold weather uniform, but it was specific marine item, ARMY didn't have shirt like that. Intersting is that this shirt was worn as part of USMC winter service uniform and even I have photo documenting this green shirt to be worn just with khaki trousers :D something you would not beive if not seen in photo.

I attach some more contract examples.

post-31-1173721873.jpg

post-31-1173721904.jpg

usmc-collector

Bellow I list all articles of M1951 cold weather uniform. This information is from USMC manual, some items are common with ARMY, but some items can be documented as items with USMC specific contract. If you have any of these articles with USMC contract please send its photo, photo of label or stamp containing USMC contract information. We may find probably slight differences between ARMY and USMC issued items (fabric, buttons, etc.). I added notice into text that USMC version exists, moderators please update list with this notice if new photo will confirm USMC contract with specific item from list. Sorry for my English, but I am not native speaker.

Cold weather uniform M1951

post-31-1173722345.jpg

A. standard cold weather uniform:

Boot, insulated

Cap, field, cotton, M1951

Drawers, winter, M50

Glove-inserts, wool

Glove-shells

Hood, parka, field M1951 – USMC version exist, see photo reference

Jacket, shell, field, M1951 – USMC version exist, see photo reference

Laces, shoe-pac, 72’’ (used as emergency thong)

Liner, jacket, field, M1951 – USMC version exist, see photo reference

Liner, trouser, field, M1951 – USMC version exist, see photo reference

Mitten-shells, trigger finger, type 1

Mittens, inserts trigger finger M1948

Shirt, flannel, green USMC type (optional) – USMC item only no ARMY equivalent, see photo reference

Socks, wool, cushion sole, O.D.

Suspenders, trousers M50

Trousers, shell, field, M1951 – USMC version exist, see photo reference

Undershirt, winter, M50

B. Extreme Cold weather uniform:

All items listed above plus following supplementary items:

Boots, mukluk

Hood, parka, M1951

Insoles, ventilating

Liner, parka-shell, M1951

Liner, trousers, artic, M1951

Mittens, artic, M1949

Parka, shell, M1951

Socks, felt

Socks, wool, heavy weight

Trousers, shell, artic, M1951

C. Amphibious landing operations:

Worn over standard cold weather uniform during an amphibious landing.

Suit, amphibious landing, cold weather, M1951

post-31-1173722447.jpg

Greg Robinson

M-1951 Parka and Parka Liner. Can't say for sure that this ever made it to Korea before the cease fire. I know the Marines still issued the earlir alpaca liner parkas up into the mid 1950's. In the Marine Corps cold weather uniforms were unit issue and not individual issue. I remember in the '60's when field jackets were the same. So basically you took whatever they issued you and often it was very well worn and sometimes out of date.

post-4-1173726600.jpg

post-4-1173726682.jpg

usmc-collector

Some photos of M1951 clothing used by marines, I got these and some others photos from USMC veteran of Czech origin

post-31-1173732728.jpg

post-31-1173732738.jpg

post-31-1173732762.jpg

post-31-1173732773.jpg

craig_pickrall

The over white camo is M1950 instead of M1951.

I have stuff stacked up right now and it is hard to get to these uniforms. I managed to reach a pair of the trousers. Here is the label.

post-5-1173747967.jpg

Greg Robinson
This is the M51 Field Cap you see in those pics.

And when it really got cold this is the cap that all the troops, soldiers and Marines wore in Korea....the PILE FIELD CAP. Don't believe the Marines ever had these made instead relying on puchases from Army stocks.

Cap on the left is the WW2 version with alpaca on the brim. Cap on the right is the "MQ-1" version adopted late in 1950 with the alpaca pile removed from the brim as it was very annoying and restricted vision. This example has a Jan '51 contract date. There was also an "M1951" version of this cap which was just an MQ1 with a new nomenclature. I've seen period photos of Marines wearing both these caps. And there are period photographs of Chesty Puller wearing the WW2 version pile field cap with an EGA pinned to the brim.

post-4-1173778989.jpg

post-4-1173779070.jpg

Greg Robinson
The over white camo is M1950 instead of M1951.

I have stuff stacked up right now and it is hard to get to these uniforms. I managed to reach a pair of the trousers. Here is the label.

Now THAT has to be a rare item as I don't believe the Marines wore those over whites very often. And to find one in a size x large is amazing. The Marines typically believe that if you can't wear a medium you're overweight. :D

usmc-collector

jumping around my flat in amphibious landing suit :D sorry for low quality of photo, try to take more detailed as I have a time

post-31-1173834238.jpg

Greg Robinson

Here's a pic of the markings inside a USMC M1951 cold-dry trouser liner. I think this was a name given to what later became known as the arctic trouser liner. During the Korean War both the Army and Marines referred to cold/dry and cold/wet trousers and I can't make much sense out of it.

post-4-1173958651.jpg

Greg Robinson
some more photos of Marines wearing the winter uniforms

Looks like they're wearing the pile lined parkas and I see some of the pile field caps. I'm assuming the one with pile on the brim is an Army WW2 vintage pile cap. The ones in the top pic are the "MQ-1" or maybe the M1951 pile field cap

Looks like they're wearing the pile lined parkas and I see some of the pile field caps. I'm assuming the one with pile on the brim is an Army WW2 vintage pile cap. The ones in the top pic are the "MQ-1" or maybe the M1951 pile field cap

Here's the old pre-WWII winter cap worn by the Marines in China (and Greenland) I believe):

wintercapopen.jpgwintercapup.jpg

Greg Robinson

I have a photo of Marines in China in the early 1920's wearing pile lined caps. Alec Tulkoff tells me these were acquired locally. I do know that the Marines did purchase some of the Army issue pile field caps during the Korean War. There is a commonly seen photo of Chesty Puller showing him wearing a WW2 vintage pile field cap with EG&A on the front brim.

• 1 month later...
Greg Robinson
USMC M1951 parka hood

post-31-1173709126.jpg

Another maker of the USMC specific parka hood. I notice that the wire surrounding the fur ruff is much more flexible than that seen on Army issue hoods.

post-4-1177604792.jpg

post-4-1177604838.jpg