• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Snakepuke

Snakepuke
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,388
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 04:43 AM

Can somebody tell me which medals the left and right ribbons represent?

Thanks,
Ralph

Attached Files

#2 Teamski

Teamski
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,043
  • 14,066 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 04:56 AM

Can somebody tell me which medals the left and right ribbons represent?

Thanks,
Ralph

The one on the left looks to be a 1940 French Croix De Guerre and the one on the right is a private purchase unofficial WWI victory ribbon representing flags of the victorious nations. You see it on WWI uniforms from time to time.

-Ski

#3 Snakepuke

Snakepuke
  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 12:34 PM

The one on the left looks to be a 1940 French Croix De Guerre and the one on the right is a private purchase unofficial WWI victory ribbon representing flags of the victorious nations. You see it on WWI uniforms from time to time.

-Ski

The ribbon on the left side isn't the French Croix De Guerre 1940-45 because that one is red with green stripes on it (see the enclosed picture) and the right ribbon can't be a WWI ribbon because this person was born in 1919.

Attached Images

• Croix_De_Guerre_1940_45.jpg

Edited by Snakepuke, 02 November 2008 - 12:36 PM.

#4 Teamski

Teamski
  • Members
  • 14,066 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 12:54 PM

The ribbon on the left side isn't the French Croix De Guerre 1940-45 because that one is red with green stripes on it (see the enclosed picture) and the right ribbon can't be a WWI ribbon because this person was born in 1919.

Oh, I'm sure it is. I had a Croix De Guerre that had a faded ribbon that looked just like it. ;)

-Ski

#5 Snakepuke

Snakepuke
  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 01:15 PM

Oh, I'm sure it is. I had a Croix De Guerre that had a faded ribbon that looked just like it. ;)

-Ski

I'm sure it isn't :P (Now I'm feeling even younger than I am with this repley ;) ).

But seriously, there are two reasons why I don't think that it is possible the this is the French Croix De Guerre. The first one is that the proportions of the lines on this ribbon don't completly match with that of the French one (The red stripes on the sides are bigger and the yellow ones are slightly narrower). The second one is that he already got a French Croix De Guerre in his medalrack. If you got really good eyes you can see it above the English Defence Medal (I'm sorry but I can't place the whole picture because of copyright :S)

I don't want to be annoying, I just want to know which medals these ribbons represent :).

Ralph

#6 Teamski

Teamski
  • Members
  • 14,066 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 01:23 PM

Interesting. The guy has what it looks like a British Defense medal, Canadian War Service Medal, French Croix de Guerre, and the other one that you think isn't. Judging from the fading on some of the ribbons, is it possible that the rack was not just put together? The precedence is all jacked up even for foreign awards.....

-Ski

#7 Snakepuke

Snakepuke
  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 02:57 PM

Interesting. The guy has what it looks like a British Defense medal, Canadian War Service Medal, French Croix de Guerre, and the other one that you think isn't. Judging from the fading on some of the ribbons, is it possible that the rack was not just put together? The precedence is all jacked up even for foreign awards.....

-Ski

To be honest I thought the same about the putting together idea of this rack.

The question I raised here was asked by somebody else on a Dutch medal forum. After having the same doubts as you have I asked him about the authenticity of this rack and he said it was real. I think I can believe him because he is the secratery of the well known Dutch informationgroup concerning WWII.

He just also gave me the name of the person we are talking about; Colonel Lloyd G. Neblett, commander of the 301st Troop Carrier Squadron, 441st Troop Carrier Group.

Hope this helps,
Ralph

#8 Wailuna

Wailuna
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,963
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 03:00 PM

....I'm sorry but I can't place the whole picture because of copyright...

Even so, why not be more forthcoming with the rest of the story? For instance, are these ribbons attributed to a U.S. veteran of WWII? If so, what was his name, rank, and unit? In your own words, what are the other ribbons that you are not showing here?

bar.jpg

P.S. You must be a mind reader, snakepuke. Thanks for answering two of my questions before I asked. How about the other ribbons?

Edited by Wailuna, 02 November 2008 - 03:05 PM.

#9 Snakepuke

Snakepuke
  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 03:21 PM

Even so, why not be more forthcoming with the rest of the story? For instance, are these ribbons attributed to a U.S. veteran of WWII? If so, what was his name, rank, and unit? In your own words, what are the other ribbons that you are not showing here?

bar.jpg

P.S. You must be a mind reader, snakepuke. Thanks for answering two of my questions before I asked. How about the other ribbons?

I will give you the link to the topic on the Dutch forum, you probably won't understand it but than you at least got the full picture.

http://www.ondersche...topic.php?t=908

P.S. For me it still is strange that there is a Military Training Instructor Ribbon in this medal rack.

P.P.S. I also found a site about the veteran wich we are talking about: http://www.wwiiadt.o...ett/Neblett.htm

Edited by Snakepuke, 02 November 2008 - 03:22 PM.

#10 Wailuna

Wailuna
  • Members
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 04:05 PM

...I will give you the link to the topic on the Dutch forum, you probably won't understand it but than you at least got the full picture.

http://www.ondersche...topic.php?t=908

The ribbon rack shown in the Dutch Web site has been "enhanced" with at least three ribbons that are far beyond the pale considering Col. Neblett's reported service history: The USAF Basic Military Training Instructor Ribbon (est. 1998), the US Army Service Ribbon and the US Army Overseas Service Ribbon (both est. 1981). The rest of the ribbons might be accurately attributable to Col. Neblett but only the bottom row appears to be aged enough to be WWII vintage (or more likely, early post-WWII vintage). The heretofore unidentified ribbon at the right end of the bottom row was distributed to returning U.S. servicemen by local and national veterans organizations as a commemorative of their WWII service (and it has never been further identified on this Forum in many appearances here.)

#11 Teamski

Teamski
  • Members
  • 14,066 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 04:49 PM

Thanks for finding the full rack. Wow! That rack is garbage. http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbdown.gif Somebody threw ribbons on it and called it good.

I have seen a real USAF rack with WWII British/Canadian Ribbons, and this ain't it. For this guy to have a Canadian War Service Medal with clasp (which is for overseas service), he would have ,at the very least, the British War Medal (and most likely the 39-45 star, and at least one campaign star), which is missing. The fact that the two British medals are seperated makes this rack extremely shakey. Of course, the other ribbons as Wailuna mentioned are complete fantasy.

-Ski

Edited by Teamski, 02 November 2008 - 04:52 PM.

#12 Wailuna

Wailuna
  • Members
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 06:06 PM

I agree that Canadian Volunteer Service Medal with Silver Maple Leaf bar is at least questionable in the context: 18 months Canadian service was required, as well as "60 days service outside Canada" for the Maple Leaf (link here).

I have RCAF (and USAAF) records on an American who served with RCAF from 1940 until he was discharged July 1944 to accept a commission in the USAAF. He was a CANSO (aka Catalina) pilot who flew operationally with No. 4 Squadron (Bomber and Reconnaissance) on anti-submarine patrol off British Columbia for about six months. This evidently qualified as "service outside Canada" as he was awarded (and wore on his USAAF uniform) the Volunteer Service Medal with Silver Maple Leaf bar, along with the British 1939-1945 Star, his RCAF Pilot Wings, and the RCAF Operational Wing.

#13 Snakepuke

Snakepuke
  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 04:41 AM

So in other words this isn't a vintage WWII/early post-war rack.

And besides that it isn't possible that, even as this rack was recently put together, a WWII veteran could have earned all these medals?

Ralph

#14 CNY Militaria

CNY Militaria

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 94
  • 11,758 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:10 AM

Not if he went to AF Basic training post 1998...so, no.

#15 Teamski

Teamski
  • Members
  • 14,066 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:27 AM

Not that really, but he went to Army Basic Training (rainbow ribbon) and became a USAF Training Instructor to boot (dark blue ribbon with stripes)! http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/think.gif

Diabolical!

-Ski

Attached Images

• new_1.JPG

Edited by Teamski, 05 November 2008 - 06:32 AM.

#16 Snakepuke

Snakepuke
  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 03:33 PM

Thanks, that's what I thought all along.

So that leave only the unknow medal ribbon in the last line on the left....but I think that is a dead end.....

Anyway thank you all for your comments,

Ralph

#17 Teamski

Teamski
  • Members
  • 14,066 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 03:38 PM

Thanks, that's what I thought all along.

So that leave only the unknow medal ribbon in the last line on the left....but I think that is a dead end.....

Anyway thank you all for your comments,

Ralph

I stick with my faded 1939 Croix De Guerre ;) ......

-Ski

#18 Snakepuke

Snakepuke
  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 03:51 PM

I stick with my faded 1939 Croix De Guerre ;) ......

-Ski

Haha, LOL.

Ok, only for you, we will say it is a faded Croix De Guerre 1940-45 ;)

#19 Wailuna

Wailuna
  • Members
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:45 PM

....Ok, only for you, we will say it is a faded Croix De Guerre 1940-45...

What do you mean by "we"? Until you have a better identification to offer, "faded Croix de Guerre 1940-45" seems reasonable to me. I agree with Teamski; so, that makes two of us.

#20 Snakepuke

Snakepuke
  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:22 PM

What do you mean by "we"? Until you have a better identification to offer, "faded Croix de Guerre 1940-45" seems reasonable to me. I agree with Teamski; so, that makes two of us.

I meant "we" in the general way. It was more of a joke than a serieus responds, that's why I used the smily, sorry.

#21 Teamski

Teamski
  • Members
  • 14,066 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:49 PM

I meant "we" in the general way. It was more of a joke than a serieus responds, that's why I used the smily, sorry.

And that's how I took it to mean. http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

-Ski

#22 Mark M

Mark M
  • Members
    • Member ID: 569
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:28 PM

Forum members:

You are in the MEDALS & DECORATIONS "Reference Section". This area is where posts from the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (http://www.usmilitar.....?showforum=83) are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the various U.S. medals and military decorations.

As time moves forward, some of these posts may have additional information added to them by the moderators of this section. We ask for your input as well, especially in the correction of any erroneous information that may have inadvertently be posted..

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (here: http://www.usmilitar.....?showforum=83). And, as needed, we will be pleased to move any new and / or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised: posting and / or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff.

Sincerely,
Chris / ADMIN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users