• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#61 dustin

dustin
  • Members
    • Member ID: 56
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 04:15 PM

I was going through my papers and came across another interesting modification for life vest a adapter to hold preserver light it reads as follows:
"the adapter is to cemented to the life jacket,under the port flap so as not to interfere with CO2 bottle"

does anybody havee a modification on any of thier vests that seem to fit this vague discription?

#62 Sgt Brown

Sgt Brown

IN MEMORIAM

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 81
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 07:26 PM

Four pages on life vests.

We have too darned much time on our hands!

Tom http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

#63 dustin

dustin
  • Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 07:55 PM

Four pages on life vests.

We have too darned much time on our hands!

hobbies are for the spare time,I guess my hobby is 50-50
There has been alot of views but not much response.I hope someone got something out of it! :D

#64 jerry_k

jerry_k
  • Members
    • Member ID: 369
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:50 PM

a lot of MK-1 life vest and some B-3...

Attached Images

• Usmc_03.jpg

#65 dustin

dustin
  • Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 03:14 PM

good pictures jerry! in the second picture I would almost think those are nylon flight helmets they are wearing due to the dark color.

#66 dustin

dustin
  • Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 01:50 PM

I thought I would post some life preserver FAKES.These are the only ones I know of.
These are produce by What Price Glory and are clearly marked with thier marking WPG.Thier B-3 is a close resemblence to the real thing but probably would not fool most.
The other vest they make is the USN MK-1 vest.This vest is a very good copy judgeing by the photographs and probably could fool some but it is marked W.P.G. as manufacturer which as we all like by reproducers is to have a marking of such to determine real over fake but with the right ageing and rubbing of the ink markings this vest might get you! this is the second generation MK-1 fake by WPG the other one they had was a light grey material and not put together very well.

Attached Images

• fake_b_3.jpg
  • Mk1MaeWest.jpg
  • Mk_I_Mae_West_Markings.jpg

#67 Sgt Brown

Sgt Brown

IN MEMORIAM

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 05:01 PM

I thought I would post some life preserver FAKES.These are the only ones I know of.
These are produce by What Price Glory and are clearly marked with their marking WPG.their B-3 is a close resemblance to the real thing but probably would not fool most.
The other vest they make is the USN MK-1 vest.This vest is a very good copy judging by the photographs and probably could fool some but it is marked W.P.G. as manufacturer which as we all like by reproducers is to have a marking of such to determine real over fake but with the right ageing and rubbing of the ink markings this vest might get you! this is the second generation MK-1 fake by WPG the other one they had was a light grey material and not put together very well.

Dustin,

I just noticed another way to spot one of Jerry's repro Mk1 vests. On a real Mk1, one CO2 cylinder inflates the center of the vest and the other the outer flaps. Their positions on the vest are asymmetrical. On Jerry's repop, both cartridges are mounted symmetrically and, if they were real, would only inflate the center. Extra insurance that would prevent someone from using his vest as the basis of a counterfeit. Bravo Jerry!

#68 jerry_k

jerry_k
  • Members
    • Member ID: 369
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 11:50 AM

Hello. here is good photo of WW2 shark chaser... photo is from www.

Attached Images

• Shark_Chaser01.jpg

#69 Gregory

Gregory
  • Members
    • Member ID: 75
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:49 AM

Hi

May 1942, the USMC airman and minty USN Mk I vest.

BTW --> what is correct terminology: Mk 1 or Mk I?

Attached Images

• 1.jpg

#70 rambob

rambob
  • Members
    • Member ID: 299
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 04:47 AM

There was a nice picture of the lights to pin to the vest, but this one in my collection still has the original box with it. Thought you might be interested in the official designation of the light.

Attached Images

• Life_Vest_Light.jpg

#71 dustin

dustin
  • Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 06:54 PM

hey Bob, not to get too technical on ya but the official nomenclature is LIGHT,ATTACHABLE but close enough the government likes to read back words.
more than likely that was BMG's wasy of listing the light.
Packaging was left more to the contractors unless otherwise specified in the specifications given to them

#72 BC312

BC312
  • Members
    • Member ID: 410
  • 207 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:36 AM

Interesting posts. Are these jackets easy to clean up as i have seen some real grubby ones on ebay ie water stains. I was wondering if they would clean up a bit. What are the things to look out for when buying these jackets and what things perish.

#73 treadmill

treadmill
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 5,307
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:53 AM

Does anybody have pictures of the proper accessories that went with the B5 life preserver..

such as ...Shark Repellant....Light Assy...Dye Marker Pkg. Thank you.

#74 Sgt Brown

Sgt Brown

IN MEMORIAM

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:45 AM

To my (limited) knowledge, there are no "proper" accessories to any life vest until the advent of the USN Mk II. One wore what accessories they either personally wanted or as ordered by higher-ups in their unit. From what photos I have seen, AAF guys carried little extra, maybe a dye packet. USN guys might be seen to have multiple dye packets, shark repellent, signal light and whistle. Then again, most photos of AAF guys are in Europe where they were only over the Channel for a relatively short period. USN/USMC fliers were over huge tracts of Pacific Ocean.

Remember, my log of being wrong is 2" thick and I am on Volume #4.

#75 treadmill

treadmill
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 5,307
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 04:24 PM

Thank you for info...so lets approach this from a different angle. Does anybody have any pictures...info...spec. on accessories that were used on life preservers in WW2. From what I have seen so far...there is some EXCELLENT pictures and great detail.

#76 SamuelChase

SamuelChase
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 6,266
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:46 PM

I was wondering if anyone had any information on this life vest. It is marked with a date of 1945.

Thanks,
Chase

Attached Images

• IMGP0038.jpg

Edited by SamuelChase, 22 April 2009 - 12:46 PM.

#77 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 5
  • 11,250 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:52 PM

If you can read a date then there is probably a readable label with a model number and other info. The more info you can give the better your answer will be.

#78 SamuelChase

SamuelChase
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 6,266
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:20 PM

If you can read a date then there is probably a readable label with a model number and other info. The more info you can give the better your answer will be.

Here is a picture with further information.

Attached Images

• IMGP0039.jpg

#79 Bebel

Bebel
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,712
  • 588 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:40 AM

Strange red stamped date while 383xxx contracts numbers seem to not exist in 1945. And "Mil-" specs was introduced in 1950 or 1951.

#80 m14msgt

m14msgt
  • Members
    • Member ID: 12,024
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:22 AM

this picture is of the collar to the B-4 above
also a picture of a 1943 manufactured AAC B-4 with service tag

Dustin - I have a B-4 dated 1945. I also have two of the green CO2 cartridges, that have never been used. I would like to insert them where they belong in the vest, but not sure which way is correct. Also...what size stencil letter were used for the T.O. 13-1-3 C.W. on the front of the vest? .5 or 1 inch letters/numbers?

thx

Edited by m14msgt, 21 June 2011 - 10:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)