CPL CARL LEMKE-31st INF AEF SIBERIA

BEAST

Here is a coat from a veteran from our first war with communism. CPL Carl Lemke was a cook with Company C, 31st Infantry. He was born in Chicago, Illinois whose pre-war occupation was an electrician. He enlisted in April 1918 and was discharge in October 1919. He was involved in the skirmish at Krolovets, Siberia, May 25th, 1919. This skirmish was part of our effort to protect the Trans-Siberian Railway.

post-203-1214782011.jpg

A photo of CPL Lemke, he is on the viewers left.

post-203-1214782025.jpg

Collar disk:

post-203-1214782438.jpg

A couple of years after I received this coat, I was attending a chapter meeting of the Company of Military Historians. One of the presentations was on the AEF Siberia and was given by a member from Chicago. Imagine my surprise when he gave out this as a handout:

post-203-1214782490.jpg

He had interviewed CPL Lemke along with other members of the AEF Siberia who lived in the Chicago area.

Thats an awesome uniform to start with and it is made so much better by the pictures.

Thanks for sharing. thumbsup.gif

Captainofthe7th

That's a great uniform! I'm a fan of 31st Infantry items, and it's always great to see a piece that shows where the polar bear originated.

Rob

Have you found any bio info on Lemke?

Odd...I knew a beautiful girl named Lemke in Chicago....Jorja by name....IIRC she dropped out of college to marry a high-priced lawyer..

Guys,

Thanks for the comments and compliments! Other than his discharge, I haven't done any other research on Lemke.

Bob Hudson
Guys,

Thanks for the comments and compliments! Other than his discharge, I haven't done any other research on Lemke.

Carl Rudolph Lemke was born 9 Apr 1894 and died Mar 1978.

In the 1920 Census he was living with his parents in Chicago and again working as an electrician. His father was born in Germany and his grandparents were from Prussia and Germany. In the 1930 census he was married, about age 36, and was a salesman for an electric manufacturer.

His wife was Augusta L. GAULER, born 1899, died in Chicago Mar 1996. Her obituary was published in the Tribune on 14 March. In the 1930 census they were at 3652 N. Leavitt Ave and had no children. He was listed as a war veteran. I found no obit listed for him, died March 1978.

• 2 weeks later...
Croix de Guerre
Thanks for the additional info! I will add it to his folder.

Fantastic group! I never have had a North Russia or Siberia group,,may have to now,,,,Gee THANKS! Now I gotta change my bio to read; "American Field Service, ID'd WWI Aviation and SIBERIA!!! Very Cool Stuff!

Fantastic group! I never have had a North Russia or Siberia group,,may have to now,,,,Gee THANKS! Now I gotta change my bio to read; "American Field Service, ID'd WWI Aviation and SIBERIA!!! Very Cool Stuff!

C d G Thanks for the compliment! Of course, after seeing your collection, I may have to undergo therapy for "feelings of collecting inadequacies"! :)

• 7 years later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
Niner Alpha

I did a 31st infantry search and came to this.   I noticed the patch.  I have an image I took of a patch an old 1st SGT.  had at a 31st Regiment reunion in 2005.  It was his father's patch. It's for sure the real patch his father wore in that Siberian expedition.  Both he and his father served in an outfit with a relation to the original 31st Regiment.   

DSCN0959.jpg