Chief Morris uniform-longest serving elisted

4STARCHRIS

post-387-1213499831.jpg

This is Chief Harry S. Morris. Longest serving enlisted vet in military history. 55 years total active duty.

Does anyone have any information on this old vet?

Thanks for looking.

post-387-1213500156.jpg

Here is a BAD picture of the chief wearing the uniform. As soon as I can I will post a much better pic.

4starchris

55 YEARS SERVED IN UNITED STATES NAVY!!!!

USN Chief Harry S. Morris (Ret.)

Enlisted in 1903 at the age of 15. He was part of the Apprentice Boy program and was the on active duty to wear a knot symbol on his uniform.

IN 1937 Our Navy classified him as an "old timer" in the navy in which he continued to serve another 20 years.

He served on battleships, cruisers, torpedo destroyers, and submarines. He was also part of the "Great White Fleet" from 1907-1908.

He has been awarded medals from nearly every country in the world.

Made Chief in 1919.

2 time GOLD MEDAL OF HONOR recipient

During WWII, he was 55 years of age and helped to raise all but 2 vessels lost at Pearl Harbor.

He retired on January 31, 1958 at the age of 70. He had served 55 years in the US Navy and spent 41 of those years on various vessels.

post-387-1213499831.jpg

This is Chief Harry S. Morris. Longest serving enlisted vet in military history. 55 years total active duty.

Does anyone have any information on this old vet?

Thanks for looking.

Do you have any shots of his "Ex-Apprentice Badge"? He was most likely the last one on duty by the time of WW2.

Steve Hesson

Steve,

Thanks for looking. All I have is this uniform and several pictures of him in this uniform. However, you are right, he was the last paid apprentice boy.

Thanks.

Chris

Kurt Barickman

I knew some crusty old chiefs when I was on active duty but nothing like this! Wow! Do you know what ship he was on during the Great White Fleet tour?

Awesome and thanks for posting.

Kurt Barickman

Kurt. I am actively trying to get any information on the Chief. 1903 to 1958 was a long time ago. I ask te forum in several posting to help me out. Yet to hear anything concrete. As soon as I have something that can be validated I will post it here.

Thanks for looking. I am glad I have something for you to enjoy.

Keep coming back.

4starchris

Very nice! Surely there has to be something about him and his career online! Of course, the problem I run into on things like this is that they got out and passed away so long ago that the people who knew them personally aren't even around anymore or able to use the net to post career info. Definitely keep us posted!

ADMIN 1. Very Little on-line. Just a few and I mean few remarks. That is why I have ask the Forum for its help. 1903-1958. Long ago.Thanks for looking.

4starchris

Steve,

Thanks for looking. All I have is this uniform and several pictures of him in this uniform. However, you are right, he was the last paid apprentice boy.

Thanks.

Chris

Actually, I was asking if the uniform you have has the "Ex-Apprentice" badge on the right forearm.

Steve Hesson

Neat uniform!! Thanks for sharing. Amazing stuff. I'm really surprised that the US Naval museum hasn't contacted you.

-Ski

• 3 months later...

post-387-1223688640.jpg

Here is a better pic of the gold strips.

Interesting that no one can find anything on him?

Thanks for looking

4starchris

From "Abe the Newsboy"

Bill

Bill Thanks for the reply. Can you PM me a better scan of the pic or biiger size? I need to try and find out what the ribbons here deserves to wear. Any help greatle appreciated.

4starchris

• 1 year later...
Guest estate100

I am the granddaughter of Harry Morris. If anyone has any questions about Chief Morris, please feel free to ask. He was a wonderful man and a wonderful grandfather.

everforward
I am the granddaughter of Harry Morris. If anyone has any questions about Chief Morris, please feel free to ask. He was a wonderful man and a wonderful grandfather.

Welcome to the Forum....I'm sure others will chime in, or may already have via messaging.

• 2 weeks later...

post-387-1270440938.jpg

I will be posting the service record of Chief Morris.

This is one of about 14 pics.

Thans to Richard for the pics.

This is the leather service pouch.

4starchris