Ground Marker Panel Bag

craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

I have had this bag for approximately 25 years. It came from a very good source and I believe it to be a good item but wanted to get other opinions just in case. Just before I took these pics I went over it with a black light and there is no glow.

I do not want to reveal the size just in case someone finds an unopened crate of them and lists them on ebay next week. It will hold several ground panels however.

post-5-1211316710.jpg

post-5-1211316715.jpg

post-5-1211316721.jpg

post-5-1211316727.jpg

Hi Craig,

I've got one of those as well, and it came with a horrendous PURPLE marker panel (exactly the same as the standard orange (yellow) and pink (red) ones in design), the like of which I've never seen before nor again, and which I assume is part of the same experiment.

It was probably rejected as a colour because of its ability to induce searing headaches in anyone in the locality if the sun is reflecting off it...!

Do you know what the ERTC stencil stands for by the way? I have this marked on a tan Airborne demo bag that I've got (ERTC1 to be exact).

Cheers,

Glen.

General Apathy

Hi Craig & Glen, these are genuine and were around in small quantity back in the late sixties to early seventies before collectors got going, and the horrendous purple color panel is the correct one for this bag.

I am adding a fairly quick reply to this one and my brain has gone on strike at the moment, I cannot think of

the word for the second letter, E.R.T.C. stands for ' Engineer. ????. Training. Centre '.

Having a real blonde moment on that second word.

Cheers ( Lewis ) see you next week in Normandy Glen.

If you have not read any of my " reports from Normandy" then please check them out under the name of

Norman D. Landing in the Dealers section.

Just got over my blonde moment, it's Engineer, Replacement, Training, Centre ( or Center )

Cheers for the info Ken. Glad to know that the "purple one" is the right one for the set.

And that means that I've got a rather nice US-issue tan canvas (instead of the normal tarred green canvas) engineers demo bag then - always wondered if it was a knock-off copy by some other army, but the ERTC marking should make it good then!

And yep, see you on Monday!

Glen.

craig_pickrall

Glen and Ken,

Thanks for the confirming info.

I have the rather long purple panel with mine too. I did not include any pics since I thought it was just stuck in the bag by the dealer. It has OD7 ties rather than OD3. I thought that unusual for something dated 1941.

When I unrolled my panel to check for markings the punch outs from when the grommets were installed were still in the roll and fell all over the floor. I guess I was the first one to unroll that panel since it was made.

• 1 year later...