• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Greg Sebring

Greg Sebring
  • Members
    • Member ID: 118
  • 577 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 06:31 AM

I found this medal while metal detecting in an area lake several years ago. It is manufactured by the Schwaab Company known for creating many different styles of commemerative medals. I was told that back during that period of U.S. History there were not many medals for service men returning from duty. Admiral Dewey and his flagship, "Olympia" were very popular at the time and even the civilian population wanted to be affiliated with it. One unique thing about this medal that my photo can't clearly show is the entire "Lords Prayer" is printed on the backside. It is totally readable with strong magnification. I can only assume this set up was lost by a woman boater or swimmer.

Greg

Copy_of_found_in_Sand_Lake__metal_detecting_under_water.JPG Copy_of_found_in_Sand_Lake_metal_detecting.JPG
found_in_Sand_Lake_metal_detecting___Lords_Prayer_on_back.JPG

Edited by Greg Sebring, 20 January 2007 - 06:32 AM.

#2 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 16,446 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 07:38 PM

metal detecting in a lake? that's a pretty bad drought! Very interesting find though

#3 Greg Sebring

Greg Sebring
  • Members
    • Member ID: 118
  • 577 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 07:48 PM

metal detecting in a lake? that's a pretty bad drought! Very interesting find though

It was in about 2 feet of water with a very sandy bottom. That particular spot was where and old hotel once stood and was a vacation spot since the late 1890's. A large dance hall was there where the likes of Glenn Miller and the Dorsey's played at dances.

metal detecting is a fascinating hobby & I've found a lot of "good" stuff.

Greg

#4 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 16,446 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 08:00 PM

I have a cheap metal detector but have had very few chances to use it. I found some old farm equipment behind my mother's house a few years back. that's about it

#5 Mark M

Mark M
  • Members
    • Member ID: 569
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:22 PM

Forum members:

You are in the MEDALS & DECORATIONS "Reference Section". This area is where posts from the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (http://www.usmilitar.....?showforum=83) are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the various U.S. medals and military decorations.

As time moves forward, some of these posts may have additional information added to them by the moderators of this section. We ask for your input as well, especially in the correction of any erroneous information that may have inadvertently be posted..

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (here: http://www.usmilitar.....?showforum=83). And, as needed, we will be pleased to move any new and / or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised: posting and / or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff.

Sincerely,
Chris / ADMIN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)