WWII CIVIL AIR PATROL UNIFORM

DEM

Hi, I'm new to USMF and my collecting interests vary a great deal. This is a complete Woman's CAP uniform. It includes tunic, skirt, shirt and hat. The tab under the cap patch says "GROUP STAFF". The silvered buttons have the tri-prop design. The tunic is dated 1943. I've never seen another has anyone else?

post-448-1169212822.jpg

The hat is a male service cap. The women were only authorized an overseas cap during this era. The coat looks very much like a males coat in the photograph. Is it formed like a woman with larger breast area and tapered waist? I used to have a female officers coat and there was a subtle difference from a mans coat.

These WWII CAP uniforms with red trim are very rare because the red trim came off in early 1945 (best I remember) and they went to standard Army uniforms with no red trim. What makes this uniform really rare is the "position tab", below the national patch on the left arm. These were phased out by early 1944 when CAP adpoted Army style rank. However, some of this obsolete insignia (including the red trim), sometimes continued to be worn after it was supposed to come off the uniform.

The winged propellor on the lower lapel appears to be standard AAF officers brass. CAP used an all silver winged prop (officially), the entire time they wore a winged propellor. With the addition of the correct C.A.P. upper lapel letters and the all silver wing/prop on the lower, this would be a very complete early wartime CAP officers uniform, be it either male or female.

You have some great pieces there and thanks for sharing them with us. thumbsup.gif

Having been in CAP in the early 60's, it's a kick to see an old uniform such as this. I recently came across some of the CAP's ongoing stumbling and fumbling about uniforms for the 21st century.

craig_pickrall

The uniform jacket shown buttons from the left side rather than the right so it is definately a female cut garment.

:) Thanks for all of the information! The coat does appear to be tailored more in a man's style with no noticeable difference in the waist or bust however it is fairly small in size. I purchased this from the vets daughter and she told me her mother was in the CAP. I don't know how to account for the skirt which is an exact match to the tunic. it seems that according to your uniform regualtion explanation that the 1943 date on the tailors tag fits. Male or female it still seems to be pretty rare! I'll look for the correct insignia for the collars. I'd be happy to supply additional pics if asked for.

The uniform jacket shown buttons from the left side rather than the right so it is definately a female cut garment.

Well, I dang sure overlooked that point. You are absolutely right that it's a girls uniform. After looking at the female ROTC thread, I see that wearing the male type service cap was done in those days, so I'm batting close to zero on this thread! ermm.gif It's still a really rare uniform & I hope DEM locates the correct insignia & can restore the coat.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I dang sure overlooked that point. You are absolutely right that it's a girls uniform. After looking at the female ROTC thread, I see that wearing the male type service cap was done in those days, so I'm batting close to zero on this thread! ermm.gif It's still a really rare uniform & I hope DEM locates the correct insignia & can restore the coat.

It indeed is a great looking rarely seen jacket.

Regards

Sofie

• 10 months later...
US Victory Museum

Here is an example of a khaki shirt and skirt. Unfortunately the tunic was nowhere to be found.

I keep checking the For Sale section of this board for a khaki tunic; however, you guys and gals aren't cooperating.

post-1529-1197788500.jpg

post-1529-1197788511.jpg

post-1529-1197788540.jpg

US Victory Museum

I love a woman in uniform. Yes, my photo skills are terrible. At this point I hadn't

yet discovered the macro function on the camera. Sorry.

The uniform has the correct silver polished CAP buttons like the one on the side

of the hat (... which yop would have been better able to see if I had figured out

how to use the macro zoom)

post-1529-1197789041.jpg