PFC Dan Bullock USMC Youngest KIA during the Vietnam War 15 Years Old

Manchu Warrior

Manchu Warrior

I was on the computer trying to find information on the costliest day for American KIA's during the Vietnam War. I did not find what I was looking for but I did come across a story that really grabbed my attention and I wanted to share it on the forum. I have read about young soldiers dying during the Civil War such as drummer boys and other young boys but I never imagined I would read about a situation such as Dan Bullock. PFC Dan Bullock dreamed of being a Marine so in 1968, at the age of 14, he left his home in Brooklyn, NY with a forged birth certificate and enlisted in the Marine Corps. Young Dan Bullock was in Vietnam for less then a month when he was killed in action 6 months and two weeks shy of his 16th birthday. I have to admit that I was blown away when I read about this young man and the link is a great article on the New Jersey Division of Correction webb site about this brave Marine. The article was written by a former Marine that was in boot camp with Bullock. To me this is an incredible story that has never been told and someone needs to do some major research on this young American Hero. I was going to put this in Misc. but decided that it belonged in Taps because his sacrifice needs to be honored as well as remembered.

http://www.state.nj.us/corrections/NJDOC_n...ing_spirit.html

post-1412-1205875695.jpg

Great story. I never heard about this fine young Marine. The NJ Dept of Corrections article is from 2001. I wonder if the statue was ever completed and if so, where it is. Anyone have any additional info?

Semper Fi..............Bobgee

Manchu Warrior
Great story. I never heard about this fine young Marine. The NJ Dept of Corrections article is from 2001. I wonder if the statue was ever completed and if so, where it is. Anyone have any additional info?

Semper Fi..............Bobgee

I found additional information on PFC Bullock with contact information on a foundation in his honor. http://www.2ndbn5thmarines.com/foxco/wwwbo...essages/57.html

March 9, 2003 -- Street Renaming Ceremony in Honor of Pfc. Dan Bullock

Gregg Doll received the following in an email on March 8, 2003. He also has additional information about Bullock which he received from Franklin McArthur, who was in boot camp with Bullock. Gregg's taken this opportunity to post the beginnings of the Pfc. Dan Bullock page. The page will be updated as time allows.

My name is Steve Adams, I am a former Marine and the director of communications of the Dan Bullock Foundation. We would appreciate it if you would post this message and/or send a general email to member of the 2/5.

Dan Bullock was born on December 21, 1953 in Goldsboro, North Carolina. At the age of eleven, Dan's father moved his family from Goldboro to Williamsburg, Brooklyn. They lived at 279 Lee Avenue. There Dan would dream of becoming a U.S. Marine, a Pilot or a Police Officer. Dan would fulfill one of those dreams.

PFC Dan Bullock - USMC is the youngest United States Serviceman killed in Vietnam and according quite possibly the youngest U.S. Serviceman killed in any was since World War I. At the time of his death Dan Bullock was only fifteen (15) years old. Dan was killed on June 7, 1969, at An Hoa Combat Base, Quang Nam Province, Republic of Vietnam.

Dan was a rifleman assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 5th Marines, Foxtrot Company. At the time of his death, Dan having realized that an attack by the North Vietnamese was much stronger then usual and that the ammunition supply was becoming depleted, Dan rushed to get more ammunition, not once but twice and it was upon his return the second time to rejoin his fellow Marines that he was hit numerous time and was killed instantly.

Today, Private First Class Dan Bullock, United States Marine rests in a cemetary in Goldsboro, North Carolina beside his mother and grandmother.

On Saturday June 7, 2003 at the corners Nostrand Avenue and Flushing and Avenue, Brooklyn, New York THE PFC DAN BULLOCK FOUNDATION and AND THE CITY OF NEW YORK WILL HONOR DAN BULLOCK BY RENAMING LEE AVENUE IN HONOR OF DAN BULLOCK AND WE CORDIALLY INVITE ANY MEMBERS OF 2/5 FOX COMPANY OR ANY OTHER MEMBER OF 25 TO ATTEND THE STREET RENAMING CEREMONY IN HONOR OF PFC. DAN BULLOCK - USMC - DECEASED

DATE : Saturday - June 7, 2003

TIME : 11:00 am. - 1:00 pm.

PLACE : Nostrand Avenue and Flushing Avenue, Brooklyn, New York

Please feel free to contact me at (718) 296-6551 for futher information

Thank you

Steve Adams