My first estate sale pick up ... finally!

Insigina Hunter

Insigina Hunter

Hello all I had to share these with all of you. I went to this local estate sale with the intent of buying the Cap I have pictured belong along with the extra hat badge (those were the only 2 military related items they had pictured in their add online). I could not make it the first day of the sale so I was not expecting any of the military items to be left. To my suprise everything was there including 4 uniforms with there pants along with three covers for the cap, a pair of shorts, along with short and long sleave shirts. I dont like breaking collections up and they gave me a deal on everything since it was the day of the estate sale so I took it all!

The name inside the cap as well as the clothing is LT. F. E. Browning. I tried looking him up but I did not have much luck any help would be greatly appreciated.

The Cap is made by Art Caps with a Blackington made Hat Badge, the extra cap Badge is made by Pasquel

post-14003-1340210653.jpg

Insigina Hunter

uniforms by Royal Uniform Corps (Rochester, NY) and Hart Schaffner marx (New York and Chicago) ... All uniforms have matching pants with them, there is also an extra pair of dark colored pants with a belt.

post-14003-1340212100.jpg

Insigina Hunter

When I saw that there were pins once on this shirt I wondered what they could of been. I asked if they had any of his pins for sale and was told that the family kept all of his pins. ... What do you guys/gals think?

post-14003-1340212610.jpg

Insigina Hunter

Lastly some buttons they had laying around... I believe the screw back Oridance and US pieces are WW1 not sure about the buttons

post-14003-1340212758.jpg

When I saw that there were pins once on this shirt I wondered what they could of been. I asked if they had any of his pins for sale and was told that the family kept all of his pins. ... What do you guys/gals think?

post-14003-1340212610.jpg

Lt. rank on the left(as shown in the picture right when worn)his medical insignia on the other.

In the cap MC would be Medical Corps ,USNR-United States Navy/Naval Reserve

Lastly some buttons they had laying around... I believe the screw back Oridance and US pieces are WW1 not sure about the buttons

post-14003-1340212758.jpg

Yes

WW1 discs and uniform buttons

Insigina Hunter
How about this: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/democrata...p;pid=120917180

Seems to fit.

Charlie

Thank you! that is the exact man Im looking for. I have a few friends high up at the hospital he worked at and Im sure they'd like to know I own his old uniforms thank you and all others who have helped me out with this. Im still interested in any other information the rest of you can give me.

Here's a nice bio on him...

Francis E. Browning, M.D.

Citation by Roger J. Boulay, M.D.

Francis E. Browning has graced our community for the past 55 years. I have just 500 words to

describe a career that has significantly influenced the provision of medical care not only locally

but also in the wider nation.

I will do his bio briefly. Born in 1925, he attended St. Lawrence University taking his degree in

1946. While there he met his bride of 58 years, Jean Townsend, and together they had five

children. He then attended Cornell and arrived in Rochester in 1950 as an intern at Strong. His

medical training was interrupted by a two year stint in the Navy. He returned as an NIH fellow in

cardiology with Paul YU. Bill McCann then selected Frank as the Hochstetter Fellow. This was a

position of honor, serving as the right hand of the department chairman.

Frank then entered practice with Tom Cardillo, but after three years was enticed by Bob Berg to

join the newly formed Department of Preventive and Community Medicine. As a faculty

member, Frank was involved in a study of teaching methods with Franz Reichman and Ray

Hinshaw. This involved a study of the teaching programs in ten different medical schools. At the

same time, he became involved in the broader community where he was chosen for his skills as a

physician but often progressed to a leadership position.

In the late 50's and early 60's, he became the medical director of three studies that helped shape

the provision of medical care in Rochester, and in the case of home care, nationwide. The studies

were the Todd Study of chronic illness, the hospital bed utilization study, and the Ford Care of

the Aging study. These studies led to a level of planning and change that made Rochester a poster

boy for Health Care during the Clinton administration.

One specific result of these studies was the formation of the first home care program supported

by any Blue Cross program. Frank as a founding board member worked with community leaders

including David Stewart, Blue Cross president, to create the Rochester Home Care program.

Frank also became chairman of the board. When Medicare was enacted in 1965, it provided

payment only for what already existed in the way of medical care, with a single exception,

HOME CARE. The Medicare home care provisions were taken almost verbatim from the

Rochester Home Care program. Frank later served as a consultant on home care to the

Department of Health Education and Welfare.

Frank left his university position in 1965 to join the medical team at Kodak Park as staff

cardiologist. As before, Frank's talents led to his assuming a leadership position, this time as

Medical Director of Kodak Park, retiring in 1989. While there, he developed programs to

enhance the clinical skills of nurses. This program was later incorporated in the corporate

training of nurses from outlying plants. Frank also organized a team approach to caring for the

workers, each worker having an assigned physician. It was also during his tenure that an acute

cardiac care unit was developed.

Frank apparently was not busy enough with the U of R or Kodak. He became a board member of

the old Park Avenue Hospital in 1972. As before, Frank rose through the ranks and became

chairman of the board of the Park Ridge Health Care System, serving in that capacity for five

years. During his tenure as chairman, a great expansion took place with the building of an

inpatient chemical dependency unit, out patient mental health services, a medical office building,

a child care center, the acquisition of ACM Laboratories etc. In 1988, Frank was honored by the

NYS Hospital Trustee Association, Trustee of the Year, in recognition of his work at Park Ridge.

The Rochester Academy of Medicine has always been a special interest. In 1989, he joined Al

Snell and Larry Rowe who had started the Retired Physicians Group. In true Browning fashion,

he assumed the chairmanship and under his leadership this program has become the best attended

and one of the most successful of the academy's programs. Quietly, he provided a new sound

system for the program, not once, but twice! The first was stolen!

There is an impressive list of other positions of service that Frank has held but I do not have the

time to detail them. I would like to close by quoting from a letter from Tim cCormick, president

and CEO of Unity Health, "Frank Browning is a true gentleman whose consistent leadership has

helped to make us so successful. We at Unity are fortunate to count him as a true friend and one

of our best community leaders" Indeed, we have all been fortunate to have Frank as a friend and

member of our health care community.