M4 Knife in use during the Bulge...

carl1944

Here's a picture that I recently found of the internet.

KIA2.jpg

"Lt. Edwin D Cooke of Los Angeles escaped Nazi detection and death by lying in a ditch in France pretending to be dead. He re-enacts the scene here for S&S Photographers. One Nazi rolled his "body" over to cut off his wristwatch."

This picture appeared in the S&S edition of Wednesday 17 januari 1945. This means he must have had the knife for some time.

M4.jpg

The article in question:

sens1.jpg

Anyone know of other pictures showing M4's in use during the Ardennes Offensive?

I would be glad to see them.

Best regards

Carl

Carl, Thanks for posting that photo: it's proof that the M-4 Bayonet was issued in Europe during 1944; as many carbine collectors have been claiming that the M-4 bayonet had not been issued, or used until late in 1945.

Greg Robinson

Bruce Canfield has a photo in one of his books of a GI in the ETO holding an M4 bayonet-knife. I can't remember if it was in his Carbine reference or WW2 weapons reference. Whichever, they were issued starting in mid/late 1944 as a replacement for the M3 tench knife. Granted, they were just used as knives early on since the bayonet lugged carbines saw very limited issuance during WW2.