Petersburg, VA 18 June 1864, Joshua Chamberlain

Chap15

On June 18, 1864 at the Petersburg, VA, Joshua Chamberlain led his men in an assault Rives's Salient also known as Battery 27, the position where the Dimmock Line crossed the Jerusalem Plank Road, present-day U.S. Route 301. I went out with a Park Ranger to find the exact spot where it was. Chamberlain was with Warren's V Corps.

Map taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Battle_of_Petersburg

post-1429-1337273352.png

Chamberlain started his attack at this rail line.

The second photo is looking west. The ground drops off then rises again before Rives's Salient.

post-1429-1337273644.jpg

post-1429-1337273664.jpg

The first photo is where it drops off. In the distance is where Rives's Salient is.

The second photo is at the bottom of the hill looking up towards Rives's Salient.

It is here where it is believed that Chamberlain got shot.

Note that when Chamberlain returned to the battlefield several years later, the site had changed and he was unable to determine exactly where it was.

The Park Ranger and I believe we are within the area where all this took place.

post-1429-1337274032.jpg

post-1429-1337274072.jpg

Chamberlain was shot in his buttocks/hip area. This was his fifth wound of the war and his worst. Left for dead, his brother took him to a Doctor who saved his life. Chamberlain would have to live the rest of his life basically wearing a diaper, and never being close to his wife again. He was one of the last Soldiers of the war to die of his wounds 50 years later of a urinary tract infection.

Humility is found in the U.S. Army Leadership manual, FM 6-22 and the example they use is Joshua Chamberlain. Grant chose Chamberlain to receive the Confederate Colors. As the Confederate Soldiers passed, Chamberlain rendered a salute that showed great humility (he was shot for the sixth time several weeks before Appomattox). This gesture helped reunite the divided country.

The photo is not the xray, but from an article that mentions his wound.

http://www.joshua.lurker00.com/jlcpete.htm

post-1429-1337274202.jpg

The day after Chamberlain got shot, he wrote this farewell letter to his wife.

June 19, 1864

My darling wife

I am lying mortally wounded the doctors think, but my mind & heart are at peace Jesus Christ is my all-sufficient savior. I go to him. God bless & keep & comfort you, precious one. You have been a precious wife to me. To know & love you makes life & death beautiful. Cherish the darlings & give my love to all the dear ones Do not grieve too much for me. We shall all soon meet Live for the children & give my dearest love to Father & mother & Sallie & John Oh how happy to feel yourself forgiven God bless you evermore precious precious one.

Ever

yours

Lawrence

post-1429-1337275450.jpg

alarmadillo

Thank you for your post. I've always admired his actions at Gettysburg, and especially his honoring the defeated Confederates at Lee's surrender. Chamberlain was a true hero (and my ancestors wore the gray in that one).

What a tremendous rendering of this story Bob. Sadly, it appears all the history of the battle lies under asphalt now. What strikes me is Chamberlains undying hope for a reunion in eternity with those he loved when he was certain that death was at the door. As alarmadillo mentioned, what an awesome gesture of unity that Chamberlain showed toward the Army of the Confederacy as they were able to surrender with honor.

• 4 weeks later...
fordmustanggt_350

Excellent post! I have always been a big fan of Chamberlain! Never read the letter to his wife though! This was also the place where he received his battlefield commission to BG, personally from General Grant. Thank you for posting that!

patchtrader864

Thanks for the post love the map , my great grandfather was wounded at Petersburg June 17th 1864 IX Corps 59th massachusetts .Paul

• 3 years later...

With the recent talk about Gettysburg and Chamberlain's MOH, thought I would bring this back to the top.

Really interesting post. Really like the detective work with the current photographs!! Thanks for taking the time to educate us!!

My Great Great Grandfather fought at Petersburg and was eventually captured at Sailor's Creek. He was in Pegram's Co. Va. light Artillery. He was a Sergeant.

Chris

My G-G-Grandfather was also at Petersburg just about this time period. He was in the 4th NYHA. Wounded in the left side and hand had a finger amputated. Spent the remainder of the war in the Veteran Reserve Corps.

FRANK

268th C.A.

Chamberlain is one of the most important figures in the American Civil War. Only known by those who have a passion for the history. I don't normally read Generals autobiographies. But "Bayonet! Forward" is truly worth reading. A great book that I enjoyed from front to back. I grew up in VA and got a whole new perspective of the war in Petersburg. Excellent & highly recommended.