A-3 flight pants - keep or give away?

grrrldoc

Hi all,

A little while ago I picked up a B-3 jacket as a BIN on ebay. The jacket is salty, with lots of flaking of the spray-dyed leather, and with a couple of tears about 1 - 1 1/2 inches in size (one hidden under the collar) - the tag has no manufacturer's name, only the contract info. On the plus side, it is a B-3 "redskin" with the two-part back, the AAC logo is worn but still very readable, the zipper works, and it has the early, nickel-plated chain hanger. No ID.

WW2B-3Jacket1.jpg

WW2B-3Jacket2.jpg

WW2B-3Jacket3.jpg

WW2B-3Jacket4.jpg

Along with the $350 that I paid for it, I got a pair of A-3 pants which, in fairness, were advertised correctly - in poor condition and delicate. That translated to pants with lots of BIG tears and rips of the legs. The only good part are the upper part of the pants and the suspenders/buckles/straps (the latter in great condition). In truth, I paid the money to have the jacket (my first B-3) and looked upon the pants as an added "bonus".

Now - here's the question - what would you do?

1) Keep the pants b/c they came with the jacket (no ID in either).

2) Give the pants away to someone who could use them for parts.

I promise, this may be a "What Would You Do" scenario, but no one will jump out with cameras in your face :lol:

Melanie

If you acquired them as an example of type, personally I'd keep them, damaged or not, because if you wanted to replace them with a better pair they'd be quite hard to find in good shape...and expensive too! So, better a worn pair than no pair at all! Just my 2%.

Jack's Son

If you really don't care about the pants after this thread has run its course, give them away. As long as they are NOT named or Identified to the jacked, there is no loss to anyone.

If you acquired them as an example of type, personally I'd keep them, damaged or not, because if you wanted to replace them with a better pair they'd be quite hard to find in good shape...and expensive too! So, better a worn pair than no pair at all! Just my 2%.

That's good to know... what would a "decent" pair cost? (By decent, I mean well-used but not ripped and torn like these are...)

Are the A-3 the earlier pants?

Thanks!

AAF_Collection

Personally I'd keep them if I felt they had been worn by the same person as the jacket,though without an ID this is obviously a matter of opinion. Are the pants beyond being improved by a professional in leather repairs? I have a B-3 similar to yours which is in need of some small repairs and I intend to have this done at some point..

Matt.

Sheepskin flight gear was not issued to an individual as such. It was "organizational equipment"...pooled and issued to whoever needed it...and turned in afterwards, so you'd be unlikely to find a set named to A.N.Other as it would quite likely have been used by more than one person.

M1A1-1944
Sheepskin flight gear was not issued to an individual as such. It was "organizational equipment"...pooled and issued to whoever needed it...and turned in afterwards, so you'd be unlikely to find a set named to A.N.Other as it would quite likely have been used by more than one person.

Are you sure about that? This grouping I acquired included the veterans hat, jacket, and boots, all with his leather name strips. His trousers are the only thing without his ID, I believe. -Ron

post-4155-1336521205.jpg

easterneagle87

I agree with keeping them. Are they making any more?!?! NO!

If you really don't care...sell them and add the money towards your collection. Someone who is putting together a display would probably enjoy them.

As always...Opinions are like sweetheart.les, we all have them.

Well....mine are even worse - more large gaping tears in the legs! But, I suppose it's true, they aren't making any more. If there is a way of repairing them that would not cost too much (just well enough to make them more displayable, if nothing else) then perhaps that's worth pursuing. I got both the jacket and the pants for 350, which I don't think was a bad price, especially since the price on these jackets seems to be creeping ever upward...

Melanie