Ribbon bars

ThompsonSavage

ThompsonSavage

I know absolutely nothing about medals and decorations :unsure: Is there anything American in between? Found these in an old junk box.

post-45626-1336315316.jpg

Everything is belgian except the bar on the top who is US.

I recognize the WWII European-African-Middle Eastern campaign medal and the Germany occupation medal but what is the blue ribbon with the star ?

Jack's Son

Don't forget the American Defense Service Ribbon in the middle of the picture second row to the right.

Don't forget the American Defense Service Ribbon in the middle of the picture second row to the right.

You're right, I didn't pay attention. It's combined with a British 39-45 star, strange ?

1 : 1st class military long service award

2 : ?, US EAME campaign and service medal, US Germany occupation medal

3 : Order of Leopold II, WWII war cross

4: UK 39-45 Star, US American defense medal

5: WWII commemorative medal, WWII war cross, Order of Leopold II

Order of Leopold II, WWII war cross, Resistance medal, WWII Commemorative medal, Political prisoner cross

6 : Order of Leopold II, gold medal (?)

7 : Order of the Crown, gold palms

8 : WWII commemorative medal

The star is certainly a rank insignia

post-69805-1336320995.jpg

ThompsonSavage

I hate to ask this question, but what is the value of these bars?

How is the combination of number 4 possible: served in armed forces of both countries?

Jack's Son

It appears that there is a bit of cloth behind the star, is it part of a backing material of some kind?

ThompsonSavage
It appears that there is a bit of cloth behind the star, is it part of a backing material of some kind?

It is some kind of thin, green cloth-like material, quite fragile. Kinda reminds me of the combat leadership tabs. Is that star even US?

FrankEaton01
It is some kind of thin, green cloth-like material, quite fragile. Kinda reminds me of the combat leadership tabs. Is that star even US?

It looks like an old Girl Scout membership star. The green disc is used by Brownies.

Since these items have been identified as mostly Belgian,this 6 pointed star is I believe a remnant of a Belgian Army officers collar rank badge, the Green was color of several units, Chasseurs a Pied, Chasseurs De Ardennes, Carabiniers, and the Pharmacy Department.

Johan Willaert

Tom,

Your father would have been awarded some of the above back when he was an NCO...

I was actually awarded 1, 6 and 7...

ThompsonSavage

I will ask next time I see him.

Anyone have any idea on the left one of number 2 and how the combination on number 4 works?

The dark blue ribbon with the star is the Nicaraguan Presidential Medal of Merit.

It was awarded to Chesty Puller, you can see it in pictures of his ribbon rack.

• 2 months later...

The blue ribbon with a star could be for an Italian medal of Military valor too, that would match with the EAME campaign medal.

The blue ribbon with a star could be for an Italian medal of Military valor too, that would match with the EAME campaign medal.

Yes, is possible! :thumbsup: