11 replies to this topic

#1 lewis505

lewis505
  • Members
    • Member ID: 12,528
  • 742 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:57 AM

Lads-

Any feedback on the BC-611s that WPG has up for sale, or know where I can get my hands on an original? See them all over eBay, but would rather have the $$ go to someone on the forum

Chris

#2 Bluedevil

Bluedevil
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 7,173
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:15 AM

Been mentioned via second-hand sources that the BC611s are disappointing and do not work as well as advertised. Though, that probably IS historically accurate. Field radios in WW2 were newish technology used in a newer manner and on a larger scale so of course that the initial versions of the radios would not work well.

#3 mpguy80/08

mpguy80/08
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,743
  • 1,891 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:20 AM

I have one of the WPG -611s and mine works fine. The only problem I have with mine is the bracket that the top cover attaches too is made of a malleable metal that tends to bend, allowing the top cover to unseat from the body. Other than that, I haven't had a problem with mine. For $147 delivered, its not bad.

Wayne

#4 ChrisNZ

ChrisNZ
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,909
  • 326 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:26 AM

I got one of the empty ones, I already had a radio, I just bought a $20 head set and disassembled it and adapted it to fin inside the body, my radio fits in the bottom which is a much better way of doing it compared to his ones being in the top, I would recommend doing it that way if you can, that way you can use a decent radio.

#5 willysmb44

willysmb44
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,617
  • 2,927 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:02 PM

I got one for Christmas and still havenít used it yet, so I have no idea how well it works. I can, however, give my take on it. First off, it looks dead-on. Itís really light, much lighter than a real one. There are only two things that donít seem right. First is the antenna isnít like a real one but you donít see that if itís buttoned up inside the case. The other thing is that the frequency card holder (that metal frame for the card at the base of the radio) was upside down on mine. I havenít corrected that yet but I think all you need is a tiny screwdriver to take the four screws out and turn it around. Itíd been nice to include a reproduction frequency card to put in it.

#6 lewis505

lewis505
  • Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:06 PM

Thanks lads!

#7 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 21,576 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:17 PM

Here's the link to the WPG radios; http://www.whatprice...p?id=4624&bc=no

This is actually a pretty good option if you want a functioning radio.

#8 ChrisNZ

ChrisNZ
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,909
  • 326 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:11 AM

I replaced all of the philips screws in mine with single slot screws, really made a difference, mine was from the first batch, I had a frequency card included with it.

#9 lewis505

lewis505
  • Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:45 PM

Just PCS'd to Bragg from Fort Bliss & think I'm gonna get one in a few weeks thanks lads!

#10 willysmb44

willysmb44
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,617
  • 2,927 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:49 PM

I pretty much bought mine because it was something that for years I said, "If only someone made a working 611, I'll buy one," and somehow it seemed like I should honor that promise I'd made to myself. Still, I've never put batteries into mine or even tried it out (even though I have some other small motorolla radios I 'liberated' from the Army I could test it with). I'd bought it in case I ever did another tactical re-enactment where others had them or did a WW2 vehicle convoy where people wanted comms...
Seemed like something that was worth the money to hold onto it just in case I ever had a real need for it. Yeah, they're not giving them away, but considering all the R&D that had to go into them and for what you get, they're quite reasonable in price, if you ask me. :thumbsup:

#11 mpguy80/08

mpguy80/08
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,743
  • 1,891 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:53 PM

I pretty much bought mine because it was something that for years I said, "If only someone made a working 611, I'll buy one," and somehow it seemed like I should honor that promise I'd made to myself. Still, I've never put batteries into mine or even tried it out (even though I have some other small motorolla radios I 'liberated' from the Army I could test it with). I'd bought it in case I ever did another tactical re-enactment where others had them or did a WW2 vehicle convoy where people wanted comms...
Seemed like something that was worth the money to hold onto it just in case I ever had a real need for it. Yeah, they're not giving them away, but considering all the R&D that had to go into them and for what you get, they're quite reasonable in price, if you ask me. :thumbsup:

Someone on ebay did the BC-1000 awhile back... I wish I could find one... They're a darn sight cheaper than the real thing and they work for the most part...

#12 lewis505

lewis505
  • Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:49 PM

Thanks Lee!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)