• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 patches

patches
  • Members
    • Member ID: 34,986
  • 12,110 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:02 PM

I remember this from way back in the summer.

http://www.usmilitar...rt=#entry850342

#22 Sabrejet

Sabrejet
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,022
  • 36,423 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:56 PM

Well done Patches...you stole my thunder! I was about to ask if they were ever applied to Mitchell covers. You've just answered my question! ;)

#23 shrapneldude

shrapneldude
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,424
  • 8,057 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:32 AM

Just curious - have any patch collectors on the forum ever come across these diamond patches "loose" i.e. not sewn to a helmet cover?

#24 usmcaviator

usmcaviator
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,315
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

Just curious - have any patch collectors on the forum ever come across these diamond patches "loose" i.e. not sewn to a helmet cover?

I have not come across any "loose" ones, however the EGA iron-stencil is still readily available as surplus, as they were used up until the late 1990's. I still remember ironing mine on at OCS. It wouldn't be tough to find some leftover material and make your own if you wanted one.

S/F,
Mike

#25 gunbunny

gunbunny
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,481
  • 609 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:07 PM

Here's one "loose". It measures 3 1/2" X 3 1/2" and the insignia appears on only one side.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j27/Cavgunbunny/DSCN6392.jpg

#26 shrapneldude

shrapneldude
  • Members
  • 8,057 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:46 AM

I have not come across any "loose" ones, however the EGA iron-stencil is still readily available as surplus, as they were used up until the late 1990's. I still remember ironing mine on at OCS. It wouldn't be tough to find some leftover material and make your own if you wanted one.

S/F,
Mike

Not really what i was talking about. Anyone could conceivably fabricate these, sure but making your own sort of defeats the purpose of collecting. No, I was just wondering if there was any old stock supply of these diamond patches that never found their way onto helmet covers. Also, the iron-on EGA's were used up to the early 00's.

I'd really like to get a copy of the Marine Corps Supply Bulletin referenced in the Gazette.

Gunbunny - thank you for posting your patch. :thumbsup:

#27 usmcaviator

usmcaviator
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,315
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:29 PM

Not really what i was talking about. Anyone could conceivably fabricate these, sure but making your own sort of defeats the purpose of collecting. No, I was just wondering if there was any old stock supply of these diamond patches that never found their way onto helmet covers. Also, the iron-on EGA's were used up to the early 00's.

I'd really like to get a copy of the Marine Corps Supply Bulletin referenced in the Gazette.

Gunbunny - thank you for posting your patch. :thumbsup:

Shrapdude,
I think the point I was getting to was that you wouldnt be able to tell one that was made yesterday and one that was made 40 years ago.

S/F,
Mike

#28 shrapneldude

shrapneldude
  • Members
  • 8,057 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

Shrapdude,
I think the point I was getting to was that you wouldnt be able to tell one that was made yesterday and one that was made 40 years ago.

S/F,
Mike

Fair enough.

The Gazette kind of made it sound like these were produced separately and in the supply system for issue rather than something that would be manufactured locally, though to your point, it would have been just as easily done one way as the other. Knowing what we do about the Marine Corps, I just wonder if they didn't pay some contractor somewhere to create these diamond patches by the thousands.

#29 WW2collector97

WW2collector97
  • Members
    • Member ID: 53,671
  • 357 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

Very nice document you have there. We have always wondered about these covers, but now we know! Now I just need to find one on eBay... :whistling:

-Timothy

#30 ETO

ETO
  • Members
    • Member ID: 10,804
  • 269 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

Greetings: Here is my "diamond EGA patch" cover with what appears to be captains bars applied with medical tape.(not sure). As mentioned by sharpneldude, this pattern has the "diamond"on both the green and brown side. Very informative thread.
Best Regards
Zeke

Attached Images

• M1_Korean_war_variant_front.JPG

#31 ETO

ETO
  • Members
    • Member ID: 10,804
  • 269 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:56 PM

Here is the stitching through the back of the green side where the diamond has been applied to the brown side

Attached Images

• M1_Korean_war_varian_back.JPG

#32 shrapneldude

shrapneldude
  • Members
  • 8,057 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

Thanks, ETO. Very nice and clear photos.

#33 Ronnie

Ronnie
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,752
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:35 PM

Yes.....I found a small bundle of these at a surplus store in Memphis probably 15 years ago. I think there were 6 patches and all had the edges folded and sewn so all one had to do is simply sew it to a helmet cover. I had a binder with at least $10,000.00 worth of airborne, special forces, AAF Squadron patches and many others as well as these USMC patches. A life long collection. Took it to the Memphis Military Collectors Club to show a friend something he wanted to see. While in an adjacent room for the nights program someone stole my collection.
That was the only time I've ever seen any of those outside a Militaria Show.

Ronnie

#34 cmaher55

cmaher55
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,954
  • 202 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:02 PM

Here's one of mine from a thread way back..........

http://www.usmilitar...amp;mode=linear

Attached Images

• post_5954_1242333647.jpg

#35 WARPONY

WARPONY
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 21,389
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:20 PM

does anyone have one of these green patches they would like to sell?

#36 Harlan

Harlan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,584
  • 556 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:56 PM

I just came across one for sale on ebay if anyone is interested -

http://www.ebay.com/...=item564a27afec

#37 usmc grunt

usmc grunt
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,910
  • 223 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:09 AM

This is an original first pattern WWII USMC cover that has both the early ega stenciled directly onto the cover and the later ega stenciled on a 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" square that is sewn on both the brown and green side at a cant. Both the earlier and the later ega on the green side are visible (note that the sewn on ega is positioned lower). The later ega on the brown side was sewn directly over the earlier stenciled ega (note that it is sewn higher than the one on the green side).

Attached Images

• 004.JPG
  • 003.JPG

#38 combat-helmets

combat-helmets
  • Members
    • Member ID: 10,954
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:00 PM

I'm glad you resurrected this thread Grunt ( and almost a year ago too)! I missed this the first time around. I have a weak spot for the USMC covers, and have expanded on that quite a bit lately. In regards to these diamond patch covers, I never gave them much thought. I never knew they were "regulation" issue. I thought they were field produced, and therefore never really had an eye on grabbing any. Of course I'm in the process of getting one now, and I would love to get a Mitchell Pattern one. So I have my eyes open and feelers out!

#39 Jba1973

Jba1973
  • Members
    • Member ID: 101,741
  • 326 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:41 AM

Here are some photos of one that I picked up that is 1953 dated and extra salty.

Attached Images

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

#40 zotig111

zotig111
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,230
  • 734 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:27 AM

Jba1973,

Thanks for bringing this thread to the surface again. I can't tell you how many of the "WWII USMC" helmets I have seen at shows lately. When you try to discretely correct the error with the vendor they tell you to go pound sand. This is a perfect reference to set folks straight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)