Is there a list of Soldier's Medal recipients?

MattS

BigJohn#3RD

Matts,

The is a book by Frederick L. Broach III and William R. Westlake titled The Soldier's Medal A History of the US Army's Highest Award for Non-Combat Valor ISBN: 0-9641533-0-0 that has a rather extensive list of recipients. Seeing that the officer was in the service prior to WWII it will take a lot of luck and research. Good Luck

Regards,

John

Thanks John! I'll try that route first and try cross-referencing AAF officers with DFC winners. You know, in all my spare time. :blink:

Fred Borch's book has only a very small percentage of Soldier's Medal recipients. Unfortunately, there is no comprehensive list of recipients.

If you work on the assumption that the Soldier's Medal was a WWII award, you might try to get access to a 1948 combined Army/Air Force Register, which shows the decorations of the regular officers on active duty. That 2-volume Register runs about 2000 pages with 15-20 officers listed per page, so it's probably not a task that will sort itself out in a couple of days.

Fred Borch's book has only a very small percentage of Soldier's Medal recipients. Unfortunately, there is no comprehensive list of recipients.

If you work on the assumption that the Soldier's Medal was a WWII award, you might try to get access to a 1948 combined Army/Air Force Register, which shows the decorations of the regular officers on active duty. That 2-volume Register runs about 2000 pages with 15-20 officers listed per page, so it's probably not a task that will sort itself out in a couple of days.

Unfortunately, a DFC-SM-BSM combo isn't really unique (though it's slightly more unique without the AM). You can flip through the 2000 pages of the Register, but then if he's a Reservist....bummer...

Tough to pin down, I'm afraid...

Dave

Unfortunately, a DFC-SM-BSM combo isn't really unique (though it's slightly more unique without the AM). You can flip through the 2000 pages of the Register, but then if he's a Reservist....bummer...

Tough to pin down, I'm afraid...

Dave

Nope, there's an AM there too - first ribbon, second row.

American Defense with a Star though... That may point towards not being a reservist, although there were the call-ups in the two years before the war... And, still, 2000 pages! Ouch!

• 10 months later...
doctor lock

The list of recipients for the SM is not complete I received it in 1977, My dad also was at Fort Bragg with my brother and myself years earlier and there were no mentions of his DSC,SS, BS. I thought the uniform looked familiar to that of Gen. Gavin .from WWII, the combat infantry badge was so common then it was considered inferior to the rest and seldom worn until the sixties when it took priority.

Hello,

I have been working on a list of Soldier's Medal recipients and have over 12,000 of the 18,000+ awarded listed. The DFC, SM, BS, AM combination is a very common combination. Many pilots and air crew members recieved the SM in flight or on the ground for saving saving other air crews. Great uniform by the way. I am happy to look up any names and provide any information I have for someone. Please let me know if you find any information about the uniform or decide to part with it.

I am looking for any information for any numbered Soldier's Medals. They were not recorded very often and information for them is very scarce. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Jeff