FORTRESS (2012)

ken88

I just finished watching this movie, well to be honest with you, I didn't even watch it to the end.

It is rubbish. Really. The computer effects are horrible. M4 flak helmets are used in pre-1944 scenes, nothing adds up.

It just bothers me that in a movie called 'Fortress', not one real B17 was used to make the movie. Unbelievable. Even computer planes are used on the ground, straight from flight simulator. Memphis Belle is about 17 years older or something and 50x better.

Don't spend your time watching it, just my 2 cents.

Cheers

Johan Willaert
Memphis Belle is about 17 years older or something

Memhis Belle was filmed at Binbrook in the summer of 1989, so that's over 20 years...

I had to look it up as I had no idea what movie you were talking about.

Found

for it, and even that looks pretty awful... :thumbdown:

bunkerhillburning

Did you see Red Tails?

Saw the preview and it was gone from the theaters before I ever had a chance to see it. Reviews said it was terrible but the special effects looked amazing.

I just finished watching this movie, well to be honest with you, I didn't even watch it to the end.

It is rubbish. Really. The computer effects are horrible. M4 flak helmets are used in pre-1944 scenes, nothing adds up.

It just bothers me that in a movie called 'Fortress', not one real B17 was used to make the movie. Unbelievable. Even computer planes are used on the ground, straight from flight simulator. Memphis Belle is about 17 years older or something and 50x better.

Don't spend your time watching it, just my 2 cents.

Cheers

Ever try Combat Flight Simulator CFS2 or similar flight sims? I did for 5 years awesome if you like computer graphics... :think: I even had a few of the original Doolittle raiders sign my computer picks of the b25 they found it fascinating. My Uncle Ed did fly the B17 in WWII.

M5* helmets in post #1.

So Memphis Belle's a lot older, over 20 years, but really is a lot better than this. Thanks for the correction Johan.

@smdo, I just tried the regular Flight Simulator, and I bet they just copy pasted some B17 simulation into the movie. Red tails is a lot better than this. At least the planes look like planes.

Even the interior design of the plane in Fortress is totally low budget. They had better not made a movie. IMO. Watch it if you ever have the time and you'll probably conclude the same thing. Or you could just save money and time.

f8eO.jpeg

Cheers

Very true Mr. Rimmer, but it didn't harm the level of wanting to see the movie in such a negative way. The credibility in Fortress is downgraded to 0%. Seriously. You should check it out.

Whenever I watch a movie, I want to feel like I'm there, at least. Now you just feel like you're playing a game. :thumbdown:

AAF_Collection

Hi Ken,

That's very true about Memphis Belle. Given what has been said about Fortress I'm not sure I'd bother to see it! I've never been interested in computer games and a movie which looks like one sounds awful.

Matt.

Johan Willaert
Even the 1989 Memphis Belle has some pretty obvious mistakes.

Yes, as 'extras' we tried to point them out to the crew and director, but didn't stand a chance...

It was great to see 5 real B17s together, even though one would crash upon take-off, luckily without major injury or loss of life... Plane was a total wreck.... The risks of working with real planes instead of SFX...

• 3 weeks later...

Much against everyone's advice, I still picked "Fortress" up at the discount sale in the supermarket...

Wish I had'nt done this: what a bunch of crap!

rgds

Bart P

Yes, as 'extras' we tried to point them out to the crew and director, but didn't stand a chance...

Johan, did you make it into the movie? That must have been a great experience. :thumbsup: Too bad about the one that crumpled on take-off. Not too many of these planes left. I did have the pleasure of taking the flight experience in Aluminum Overcast. Awesome experience!

As far as the movie, I haven't seen it. Too bad they couldn't have done a better job.

Zeph