ACH / MICH Find

ehrentitle

I'm not a helmet collector, but on Wed I found what I believe is an early ACH / MICH Helmet at a Thrift Shop for a price I couldn't pass up. Since I collect Desert Patches and have accumulated a few DCU uniforms I'm thinking of putting a reversible DCU/BDU cover on it for an early OEF/OIF desert impression.

The helmet is missing it's maker's tag on the inside right, but according to markings on the crown it is marked SDS, M-4, 04, 05.

I have two reversible DCU/BDU covers I could put on this helmet. One with a 2004 contract date and green velcro produced by Lions Volunteer Blind Inc in Small/Medium. The second has a black MSA tag sewn into it with black Velcro in Medium/Large and is named to a SFC. The Small/Medium fits the helmet like a glove.

The inside is basically stripped out. What parts do I need to bring this up the original configuration when the helmet was made? And does anyone by chance have some of them I could trade for or buy.

6911245862_d9aab94d74_b.jpg

6911245966_b6584928b4_b.jpg

6911245922_e7a8d11914_b.jpg

6911246024_611b451cab_b.jpg

7057330547_38122dc4cc_b.jpg

7057330257_d4738c6c9b_b.jpg

6911245724_b344eff093_b.jpg

very nice find but the cover is on the wrong way around the flap should go to the back :)

NickD, Thanks. That shows how much I know about these helmets. Do you know the flap is for? I think I read on the OIF/OEF forum that it was a communication flap for headset's cables.

Hello Nick nice find.I am in my phone right now so cant post link. Do a google search fo tm 10-8470-204-10 & you can find the tm for this helmet and download it.It looks like you have a few screws. There should be four screws and nuts four plastic tab pieces that bolt to helmet that chinstrap attaches to.and a chin strap. Sounds like yours is an specialty defense made ach witch i think had a y style chinstrap. Allen

Hello Nick nice find.I am in my phone right now so cant post link. Do a google search fo tm 10-8470-204-10 & you can find the tm for this helmet and download it.It looks like you have a few screws. There should be four screws and nuts four plastic tab pieces that bolt to helmet that chinstrap attaches to.and a chin strap. Sounds like yours is an specialty defense made ach witch i think had a y style chinstrap. Allen

Thanks Allen, I was able to find the TM right away. I didn't realize that each maker of the ACH used different mounting hardware for the chinstrip.

According to the TM, I need:

- Four-point chin strap, Chin Strap Retention System with SDS mounting hardware

- Eyewear Retention Strap

- Desert tan helmet band

- 7-pads (Circular crown pad (1), Trapezoidal pads (2), Oval/oblong pads (4))

- Goggles and goggle cover

- NVD (Night Vision Device) Front Bracket

Thanks Allen, I was able to find the TM right away. I didn't realize that each maker of the ACH used different mounting hardware for the chinstrip.

According to the TM, I need:

- Four-point chin strap, Chin Strap Retention System with SDS mounting hardware

- Eyewear Retention Strap

- Desert tan helmet band

- 7-pads (Circular crown pad (1), Trapezoidal pads (2), Oval/oblong pads (4))

[/quo]

Glad to be of help and you found the tm kevin. Yes i seem to have forgotten some things. Working from memory is not the best. Allen.

Mercenary25

Nice helmet. You would be able to find a lot of parts on eBay. But hard part is to find used chinstrap system to match this condition. You would need black chinstraps and black pads which would be correct for this era. However, You could also use ACU cover. It is not uncommon for soldiers to use early ACH helmets with ACU covers.

Very nice find! Most surplus stores around any base SHOULD have all the pieces you are missing from your helmet. If you are going to do an earlier OEF/OIF impression, you will want to find a black four-point chin strap and a green (might use tan) eye wear retention strap. Those are just general rules of thumb though.

joefriday22

Nice find..

Here's the same lid complete. The goggles are a bit newer. I didn't pay attention to them but the purists around here have me thinking like this now. I'll but on a pair with black straps and dust cover..

IMG_6617.jpg

IMG_6616.jpg

Rob

You can do the black strap goggles, but you can also go with the green ESS with the black speed sleeve. Since you are going with the three color desert, the tan goggles with tan cover would also be correct. While the foilage could have been used by a diehard hold out, it was usually the other way around. When I was issued my ACH in early 2006, we were given ACU covers, but no one got the same colored goggles, mix of tan's, some OD greens with a few smatterings of foilage goggles.

joefriday22

Thanks. HD. Not trying to take away from the original post, I was just trying to show the black chin strap and pads..

...but..my helmet came as seen with the reversible desert/WC cover but I added the goggles (paid $40 for it). I do have green ESS, black strap, and black speed sleeve but no tan.

Rob

Ahhh crud, my bad. When I scrolled down, I went past the name and I thought this was ehrentile's post.

If only it were my post, then miraculously my search for bits and bobs to complete this helmet would be over. I appreciate everyone's comments.

I found a set of issue tan Eyewear Retention Straps new in the issue bag today at a thrift store. I'm still looking for:

- Black four-point Chin Strap Retention System with SDS mounting hardware

- Desert tan helmet band

- 7 black pads (Circular crown pad (1), Trapezoidal pads (2), Oval/oblong pads (4))

Shoot me a PM reminder later... I may have a spare screw/nut for you to fill that right rear hole.

Thanks, I'll PM you tonight. Another forum member was kind enought to find most of the items on my list, with the exception of the googles and goggle cover.

You bet! Do you still need that screw and nut? I may have a couple of pads, too, but I think they are foliage rather than black.

316th FS 324th FG
I found a set of issue tan Eyewear Retention Straps new in the issue bag today at a thrift store. I'm still looking for:

- Black four-point Chin Strap Retention System with SDS mounting hardware

- Desert tan helmet band

- 7 black pads (Circular crown pad (1), Trapezoidal pads (2), Oval/oblong pads (4))

Your inbox is full, but I may have a replacement suspension kit. Will check this evening.

You bet! Do you still need that screw and nut? I may have a couple of pads, too, but I think they are foliage rather than black.

I'll have to check with him, but I believe the chin strap system comes with the screws and nuts.

Your inbox is full, but I may have a replacement suspension kit. Will check this evening.

Thanks, I believe the only thing I need at this point are the goggles and the goggle cover.

Mercenary25
Nice find..

Here's the same lid complete. The goggles are a bit newer. I didn't pay attention to them but the purists around here have me thinking like this now. I'll but on a pair with black straps and dust cover..

IMG_6617.jpg

IMG_6616.jpg

Rob

Rob, your helmet is fine. Perfect for transition (DCU to ACU) period in 2005.

An update. Thanks to Hawkdriver I now have all of the parts to complete my Desert ACH impression. The only thing I'm still looking for are the goggles and goggle cover, preferably in tan.

7099182655_34b2540888_o.jpg

6953112524_48964ef01b_o.jpg

7099182619_35308b88c1_o.jpg

Thanks, I've moved the helmet band down lower behind the NVG mount based on period photos. In some of the photos the helmet band is being worn over the NVG mount.