• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 NamHelmet

NamHelmet
  • Members
    • Member ID: 30,111
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:30 AM

I hope I am not over-posting, but were Mk 19 Grenade Launchers used on aircraft ever, such on a Huey? My Dad has 3 40mm ammo cans and he wanted to know more about them (posted in topic): http://www.usmilitar...howtopic=136373

Hope you guys had a good Presidents Day. :thumbsup:

Edited by NamHelmet, 21 February 2012 - 08:32 AM.

#2 Manchu Warrior

Manchu Warrior
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,412
  • 3,109 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:37 AM

As a crew member on a M113 I was qualified on the MK19. And I am not an expert, with that said I don't ever remember anyone ever talking about the MK19 ever being used on helicopters. And just a little side note, it was one hell of a weapon and sure was a lot of fun to fire.

Edited by Manchu Warrior, 21 February 2012 - 11:45 AM.

#3 NamHelmet

NamHelmet
  • Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

As a crew member on a M113 I was qualified on the MK19. And I am not an expert, with that said I don't ever remember anyone ever talking about the MK19 ever being used on helicopters. And just a little side note, it was one hell of a weapon and sure was a lot of fun to fire.

I saw a few pictures. It's like an atomic 50 cal! For some weird reason I love the M113. It's basically a box but sure as hell beats a truck any day! When were you a crew member? Do you remember what model of M113 you crewed?

#4 CNY Militaria

CNY Militaria

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 94
  • 9,667 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:59 AM

Actually, YES! One of my former Battalion Commanders (now a Brigade Commander) mounted a MK-19 on a Huey and flew around Desert Storm with it as a 2LT.

#5 NamHelmet

NamHelmet
  • Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:05 PM

Actually, YES! One of my former Battalion Commanders (now a Brigade Commander) mounted a MK-19 on a Huey and flew around Desert Storm with it as a 2LT.

NICE! I had a feeling those two (a huey and a MK-19) would find each other! How do you think the pilot adjusted to it? Would the recoil be significant enough to affect flight?

#6 CNY Militaria

CNY Militaria

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 94
  • 9,667 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:15 PM

I never asked him those questions, but I do know his Battalion Commander at the time was less than pleased at the concept. I don't think the weight itself would affect the aircraft (although I am not a pilot and that is just a guess), since it weighs less than a person.

#7 hawkdriver

hawkdriver
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,549
  • 7,965 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:39 PM

NICE! I had a feeling those two (a huey and a MK-19) would find each other! How do you think the pilot adjusted to it? Would the recoil be significant enough to affect flight?

No effect at all. With that said, the Cobra's used to have a 40mm "chunker" co-axial to a mini-gun. It was later replaced with the three barrel 20mm machine gun. Now, mounting a Mk-19 in the side door of a Huey, it could easily be done, but I can guarantee you it wasn't common and probably didn't last to long. The aviation community gets a little excited (not in a good way ) when you change the weight and balance of their aircraft with an unauthorized modification.

#8 mpguy80/08

mpguy80/08
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,743
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:20 PM

The UH-1b/C/M Hueys carried a 40mm M-5 Grenade Launcher in Vietnam... it was mounted in a ball shaped turret mount on the nose. The feed chute was fed back through the avionics compartment into the cockpit and into the cargo compartment where the ammo drum was mounted. These were used in conjunction with the quad M-60s and also with rocket pods.

Wayne

#9 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 21,353 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:46 PM

Heres one

http://www.aircav.co...05/uh1-003.html

#10 Manchu Warrior

Manchu Warrior
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,412
  • 3,109 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

I saw a few pictures. It's like an atomic 50 cal! For some weird reason I love the M113. It's basically a box but sure as hell beats a truck any day! When were you a crew member? Do you remember what model of M113 you crewed?

I actually don't remember what model it was because it was only for about three months or so while I was in the Middle East. I was in a mechanized infantry unit and I was volunteered by my NCOIC of the S3 Shop to work with the Air Force. The tracks mission was to follow the mech infantry battalion commander around in his Bradley. The commander on the M113 was an Army artillery Captain and we also had a US Air Force fighter pilot on the M113. The track also had a huge radio in it and when the battalion commander called for air strikes on the field of battle my track was in contact with the USAF birds above. I have to be honest and say that I am really racking my brain trying to recall what that track was actually called?? Must be getting old but Halotrack comes to mind but I am not sure if I am confusing it with halo jumps. Anyways, the artillery officers name was Captain Towers. He was a West Point grad and the only reason I mentioned him was because he really took care of his soldiers and he was by far the very best officer I ever worked for while I was in the US Army. I figured I would go ahead and post of a couple of photos of the M113. They are not the best photos because I had to take photos of pictures that are in a scrapbook that my ex-wife made for my boys. The best thing about being assigned to the track was that I had to qualify on all the weapons systems to include the MK19 and also the 50 Cal that I am sitting with. I also noticed that someone spray painted M113 on the front. I guess in case I forgot what kind of track it happened to be.
M113_006.JPG M113_004.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)