BODY ARMOR WORN WHILE STATIONED IN BERLIN

Rakkasan187

When I was stationed in Berlin with the Berlin Brigade in the mid 1980's to early 1990's we were constantly on alert. Part of the main equipment draw when we arrived at our units was the issuing of body armor or flak jackets. I had just come from the 101st Airborne Division and I had never worn body armor with the 101. This was new to me. I had seen pictures of some units wearing body armor in Embassy details and other missions but not on a daily basis, so to speak. There was a definite mixture of what was available to us. I was rather small for my size at the time and I was issued an OD green flak jacket similar to what was worn in Viet-Nam. I didn't really think about the vest that much and wore it when we had alerts, or went to the grenade range and that was about it. After the Panama Invasion in 1989, there was a refit in our unit (6th Battalion 502nd Infantry, Berlin Brigade) and everyone was issued the BDU camoflage body armor. There was no great concern to turn in the old vest, so I kept it and shipped it home after I left Germany. It stayed in my closet until this past November when I went home for Thanksgiving. My dad and I were looking through some of the closets and my old body armor appeared.

Now I mentioned before that I really did not pay too much attention to the vest in Berlin, but when I got it out of the closet in November, I noticed the manufactuers tag, and nomenclature and noticed that it was an M1952 A Vest thst was made just a year after the end of the Korean war. As seen by the tag it was made 23 April 1954.

There has been a lot of topics posted lately about vintage equipment still being used by the military, and this was just another example of equipment being used and in this case some 30 plus years later.

Hope you enjoy the pictures. This post has a two fold purpose. First I wanted to show you my body armor from my time in Berlin, (86-90) and secondly, my old computer gave out and I jjust bought a new laptop and had to check and see if my camera software loaded correctly on the new laptop so I can start posting pictures again..

Here is the first of 3 pictures..

Leigh..

post-5554-1329064278.jpg

Last picture for now. When I get some time and I also need to get a new printer, since my old printer is so outdated that the drivers will not upload to this laptop, I will scan some pictures of yours truly wearing this body armor in Berlin..

The last photo shows a shot of the inner label instructions..

So far the pictures seem to be uploading pretty good and I am pleased with the detail..

Ok everyone.. as always comments are welcome and I hope you all have a great day.. Take care..

Leigh..

post-5554-1329064620.jpg