Need help identifying DCU unit insignia

Tonomachi

I picked this up at the flea market today for 8 dollars. I have a feeling that some of the insignia is missing from this uniform. Both epaulettes were unbuttoned and hanging down as if maybe something like slide on rank insignia had at one time been attached. If you look at the Army and name tape there is room for a second set of tapes as if there might have been the equivalent tape in Arabic? Does anyone recognize the shoulder sleeve patches?

post-1389-1328506066.jpg

post-1389-1328506075.jpg

post-1389-1328506088.jpg

I would bet that what you have is a US advisor to one of the Iraqi units. Very nice uniform! I am with you as well, I'd bet the extra velcro is for Arabic tapes.

As far as unit, I'd say probably 11th Iraqi Army Division and they were formed towards the end of 2007. The flag patch is the Iraqi flag that was adopted in January of 2008. Patch combination seems to make sense.

If it helps, the 4th Brigade of the 1st ID helped advise the 11th Iraqi Division.

I would bet that what you have is a US advisor to one of the Iraqi units. Very nice uniform! I am with you as well, I'd bet the extra velcro is for Arabic tapes.

As far as unit, I'd say probably 11th Iraqi Army Division and they were formed towards the end of 2007. The flag patch is the Iraqi flag that was adopted in January of 2008. Patch combination seems to make sense.

If it helps, the 4th Brigade of the 1st ID helped advise the 11th Iraqi Division.

Thanks for the information. I was wondering if US advisors to Iraqi Divisions wore slip on rank insignia on their epaulettes, pin on collar rank insignia, or sewn in the center of their chest?

I believe its from an "Iraqi Army" role player (kinda like OPFOR, but actually on the same side) from the National Training Center at FT Irwin CA. Most of these were US Army Soldiers with the 11th ACR.

Vance

Thanks for the information. I was wondering if US advisors to Iraqi Divisions wore slip on rank insignia on their epaulettes, pin on collar rank insignia, or sewn in the center of their chest?

I still say its a role player uniform from a Combat Training center. I just don't buy the story of a US Advisor wearing this in Iraq in 2008 or later (if ever). No US flag? No "US" on the Army tape? No way, I just don't buy it for a regular Army unit like this.

Does the tag in the collar have an NSN on it?

Also, the Iraq flag and unit patch are made differently from any Iraqi unit patches I've seen from that time period (note the merrowed edge), but just like the ones I saw worn by "Iraqi Army" and "Iraqi Police" at the National Training Center in 2008.

Vance

You might be right, Vance. Mike (Hooviedude) had a a couple of BDU sets awhile back that were similar to this, except they were used by Afghan role players down at Ft. Polk, Lousiana. I bought one off of him and will post it here for comparison. As you can tell from the photo, the ones used at Ft. Polk have velcro on the shoulder areas for rank and the one Tonomachi posted has shoulder straps.

DSC02466.jpg

I still say its a role player uniform from a Combat Training center. I just don't buy the story of a US Advisor wearing this in Iraq in 2008 or later (if ever). No US flag? No "US" on the Army tape? No way, I just don't buy it for a regular Army unit like this.

Does the tag in the collar have an NSN on it?

Also, the Iraq flag and unit patch are made differently from any Iraqi unit patches I've seen from that time period (note the merrowed edge), but just like the ones I saw worn by "Iraqi Army" and "Iraqi Police" at the National Training Center in 2008.

Vance

Here is the collar tag

post-1389-1328592891.jpg

Okay.....here is a photo I found of soldiers training at the NTC at Ft. Irwin.

Information for the photo is as follows: NATIONAL TRAINING CENTER, FORT IRWIN, Calif. – A Soldier from 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment, role-playing as an Afghan army soldier, provides overwatch for New York Army National Guard partner Soldiers from C Troop, 2nd Squadron, 101st Cavalry through a mock village battle here Oct. 9.

b265fed0.jpg

Even though the photo of the guy in DCU doesn't have the same patches, it does prove Vance is correct. Perhaps the 11 on the patch could be for 11th ACR. Good call, Vance. :thumbsup: I have learned something new today.