Where Gen. Patton crossed the Main River in 1945?

Started by rapid64 , Jan 05 2012 08:39 AM

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rapid64

rapid64
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 56,602
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:39 AM

Where Gen. Patton crossed the Main river in 1945?
Shortly after crossing the Rhine river near Oppenheim, Gen. Patton´s 3rd Army went into the heart of Germany as they crossed their next water barrier, the Main river.
I think, everybody here know the photo as Patton urinated into the Rhine. But where he crossed the Main?
Until now, I can´t find a webpage, book or other source for an information about.
It is clearly, the 3rd Army´s crossings was on different places, but where exactly Gen. Patton himself went cross over?
I am a local, German historian from the Rhine-Main-Area (so please excuse my bad English) and very interest of an answer – with source, please.
Thanks so lot.

#2 patches

patches
  • Members
    • Member ID: 34,986
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:56 PM

Where Gen. Patton crossed the Main river in 1945?
Shortly after crossing the Rhine river near Oppenheim, Gen. Patton´s 3rd Army went into the heart of Germany as they crossed their next water barrier, the Main river.
I think, everybody here know the photo as Patton urinated into the Rhine. But where he crossed the Main?
Until now, I can´t find a webpage, book or other source for an information about.
It is clearly, the 3rd Army´s crossings was on different places, but where exactly Gen. Patton himself went cross over?
I am a local, German historian from the Rhine-Main-Area (so please excuse my bad English) and very interest of an answer – with source, please.
Thanks so lot.

Maybe at Hanau, possibliy Aschaffenberg.

Edited by patches, 05 January 2012 - 01:17 PM.

#3 Gregory

Gregory
  • Members
    • Member ID: 75
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:03 PM

But where he crossed the Main?

Unfortunately in his "War As I Knew It" book Gen. Patton did not mention where he crossed the Main.

#4 rapid64

rapid64
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 56,602
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:46 PM

Maybe at Hanau, possibliy Aschaffenberg.

Thanks for your thought.
But never Aschaffenburg!
Sure, elements of the 3 rd Army (the CCB of the 4 th Arm.-Div.) established a bridgehead there and Gen. Patton sent out the Task Force Baum to their Hammelburg Raid. But the fighting units of the 3rd Army didn´t crossed the river there for a longer stay.
The really battle of Aschaffenburg was taken by 7th Army´s units under Gen. Patch.
Patton´s tank columns left this area and cross the Main river south of Hanau (Did anyone exactly know what unit exactly built this treadway bridge?).
Yes, it´s possibly that Patton also crossed the Main river in the vicinity of Hanau. His pioneers built two temporary bridges in this area. This one south of Hanau and another one downstream. But there were some others more on the next miles until the Main entry into the Rheine river near the city of Mainz.

Unfortunately in his "War As I Knew It" book Gen. Patton did not mention where he crossed the Main.

Yes, Gregory, in his memories “War as I know it” Patton only wrote: “On March 26, I crossed the Rhine with Codman …” and four pages later: “On March 31, I flew to Headquarter of the XII Corps east of Frankfurt” (which is/was on the other river banks side).
So where was Gen. Patton standing between March 26th and 31st? Did he really crossed the Main river on ground (by tank or walking like his pissing photo scene on the Rhine river) or flew he with an aircraft over it?

#5 patches

patches
  • Members
    • Member ID: 34,986
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:27 PM

Thanks for your thought.
But never Aschaffenburg!
Sure, elements of the 3 rd Army (the CCB of the 4 th Arm.-Div.) established a bridgehead there and Gen. Patton sent out the Task Force Baum to their Hammelburg Raid. But the fighting units of the 3rd Army didn´t crossed the river there for a longer stay.
The really battle of Aschaffenburg was taken by 7th Army´s units under Gen. Patch.
Patton´s tank columns left this area and cross the Main river south of Hanau (Did anyone exactly know what unit exactly built this treadway bridge?).
Yes, it´s possibly that Patton also crossed the Main river in the vicinity of Hanau. His pioneers built two temporary bridges in this area. This one south of Hanau and another one downstream. But there were some others more on the next miles until the Main entry into the Rheine river near the city of Mainz.
Yes, Gregory, in his memories “War as I know it” Patton only wrote: “On March 26, I crossed the Rhine with Codman …” and four pages later: “On March 31, I flew to Headquarter of the XII Corps east of Frankfurt” (which is/was on the other river banks side).
So where was Gen. Patton standing between March 26th and 31st? Did he really crossed the Main river on ground (by tank or walking like his pissing photo scene on the Rhine river) or flew he with an aircraft over it?

Pioniere ? Was ist das ? :lol: In der Amerikanishes Heer, nennt man sie Engineers, nie Rufen Sie einen U. S. Army Enguneer ein Pionier :) Ja, richtig Aschaffenburg wurde südlich in der 7th Army's Gebiet.

#6 patchtrader864

patchtrader864
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,372
  • 811 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:48 AM

March 22 Patton 5th division crossed at Oppenheim . Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)