USN Captain's bridge chair

Here are a few pictures of a USN bridge chair I picked up years ago in a Norfolk flea market. I don't know if anyone is interested, but it was made by Karpen and has had a four legged base welded on. I think Karpen went out of business in 1952. Pretty neat chair, Thanks for looking!!

Chris

DSCF3219.jpg

010-3.jpg

001-7.jpg

Here is an interesting picture of Gen. MacArthur sitting in the same kind of chair. This was during the Korean War Inchon landings onboard the USS Mount McKinley.

post-10825-1324583980.jpg

It is a pretty cool chair.

You can see where they welded on the base with the casters. It be nice to get that re-upholstered as originality of the material is useless if it looks like hell (IMO).

Too bad you can't tie it back to the ship it was used aboard.

Yeah I have considered a re-upholstery job, but I am torn :lol: as to what to do !! I believe Karpen made early Ready Room chairs, this one however does not have the plotting board normally seen on a ready room chair. I do have a couple of modern Ready Room chairs in storage. One has been on this forum before.

Chris

VirtualMariner

This is pretty neat. Other than being re-upholstered, it'd be cool to put it back on some kind of pedestal, so it'd sit up high like they do on the ship's bridge. Great Inchon pictures, too, by the way. Last time I was in D.C., they were giving away free books about the Inchon landing at the Navy Memorial. I may have to break it back out and give it another read.

• 3 weeks later...

If you ever give up on it I will send my people over to pick it up, if I lived near you I would help you with the reno.

John