How do you bring home that militaria buying dough?

Started by carbinephalen , Dec 19 2011 01:20 PM

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#41 Johan Willaert

Johan Willaert
  • Members
    • Member ID: 92
  • 7,485 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:22 AM

Active Military (Senior NCO)... In my 30th year...

#42 carbinephalen

carbinephalen
  • Members
    • Member ID: 14,217
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 05:39 AM

That's my plan Ian. Mwahaha :devil: my next planned topic is what's your home address and credit card number!

All kidding aside, in this day and age, it's still important to maintain security measures that help to thwart would be identity thieves from finding out too much about you....that or enraged exlovers and their spouses in some of y'alls cases! ;)

#43 Sabrejet

Sabrejet
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,022
  • 36,386 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 05:42 AM

That's my plan Ian. Mwahaha :devil: my next planned topic is what's your home address and credit card number!

All kidding aside, in this day and age, it's still important to maintain security measures that help to thwart would be identity thieves from finding out too much about you....that or enraged exlovers and their spouses in some of y'alls cases! ;)

That's why they invented FACEBOOK!! ;)

#44 rmoore456

rmoore456
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,034
  • 901 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 05:46 AM

Retired from the Illinois Dept of Transportation, 35 1/2 years there. Now doing consultant for same. :w00t:

Ray

#45 ssggates

ssggates
  • Members
    • Member ID: 20,290
  • 634 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:52 AM

Army has me for a few more years. Not staying a day past 20... unless they let our prez axe our benefits. In that case I'll be in this uniform until I have great grandkids :( However, I try to fund my addiction through sales as much as possible.

#46 Rakkasan187

Rakkasan187
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,554
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:11 AM

I served 21 years in the Army, retired as an Operations Sergeant Major, served 11 years as a Firefighter/Paramedic, medically retired after an injury in the line of duty, and currently a senior instructor at the United States Army Sergeant's Major Academy.

My fun money comes from my retirement pensions and my VA disability...

Leigh..

#47 Bones

Bones
  • Members
    • Member ID: 736
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:43 PM

FF/EMT full time, have a few sideline gigs too. Parttime fire service instructor for the state of NE, help some buddies with building construction and landscaping.

#48 I Hate Moths

I Hate Moths
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,425
  • 202 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:23 PM

I've been working 30 years as a Tool and Die maker.

#49 robinb

robinb
  • Members
    • Member ID: 61
  • 3,584 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:15 PM

18 years in a sheet metal shop. Before that, 12 years in a lumber mill.

#50 stonewaller

stonewaller
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,339
  • 255 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:30 AM

Cameraman and video editor for a small unit production company in London. Unfortunately, it doesn't pay enough to get me that holy 29th div lid.

#51 dogfacedsoldier

dogfacedsoldier
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,832
  • 553 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:43 AM

Hello,

I feel humbled and honored to be around good folks that are also collectors.

I am in a different situation than most I have three college degrees, none of which helps me bring in money. History, Historic Preservation/Museums, and Criminal Justice> I am close to a degree in Archeology. I love history, and have been around history all of my life. I've been buying, collecting, trading when I was kid. On and off until around 30, when I began collecting pretty heavily til now. I ended up having a bad heart. I have had several heart attacks, and then open heart surgery, then stints. I have diabetes extremely bad and knees which barely function. I help keep medical people going and feel as if I paid for the wing of some hospital, no that they will name it after me. I am on disability now, my main source of income. I still buy, sell trade and collect, but not getting rich there. I have a very loving and compassionate wife who has a great job, and good insurance which helps a lot. She is why I am still alive today. She is from this area, and I am hesitant to ask her to leave and move somewhere else, where I might find a museum job. I have done some looking for work, bot not many people are looking for employees with major health problems, I ruin their insurance underline. It's frustating to not be able to do things I used to do, especially now since walking is becoming a real chore. I have been fortunate in some ways, and luckily I have established a small network of people who keep a lookout fo things for me, an a very good mother who has helped me in picking up items. She was a Wac in WWII. I attend auctions when I can, estate tag sales, antique stores and shows, junk shops, barns and everythinge else. Don't discount barns a lot of WWI in barns. I read a lot and research a lot still, and do some writing I was a writer full time once. I know is boring you some I need no sympathy. I do the best that I can, everyday single day. My heart, is bothering me again, short of breath and I had two heart attacks within the last month. I intend to keep moving forward, and will keep doing so. I love to read about other's finds on the forum, and what they do. I look at the forum daily. I have made some friends here and I learn things every day. Funny how I feel sometimes I live in the wrong area, people are always finding great stuff in their areas. I am have made some great finds here, so it's all perspective. no kids and you could say I am retired. Hey I am looking forward to my 3.6% raise. It's great to a member of such a fantastic group and ignore the boring story I told you, I am just a person and collector with some problems, who has added cain collecting to my list. I have a white beard, but I ain't no Santa Clause, which I hear pretty often. I'll keep it PG and not tell you my response.

Jon

Edited by dogfacedsoldier, 21 December 2011 - 01:48 AM.

#52 marentius

marentius
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,571
  • 741 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:11 AM

hi everybody,iI'm in my mid 40's,I work as a sales area manager for an italian factory,travelling in central-est europe at least two weeks/month.I have got a family,I grown up a great interest in the 20th century history,I devote some of my free time as an italian Red Cross EMT volunteer (hi carbinephalen,greetings from Italy,I am just a volunteer but I do enjoy what I do for the community and it's also very interesting although I am not a professional,great pic of the ambulance,would like to see how it is equipped)
Thanks to my job soometimes I have also a chance to storm fleamarkets all over these great places,although it's not so easy to find what I am looking for since I collect VN war era militaria (Army and helicopter units are my main interest),and I can find some time to visit a lot of great museum.
nowadays I try too to finance my collection selling some items I am no longer interested in.It's great to have a chance to share this passion with a lot of people on this Forum.
:thumbsup:

#53 Dave

Dave

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 209
  • 9,961 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:52 AM

I'm the plant manager for a 150 megawatt wind power plant. After spending 13 years in the military having someone breathe down my neck and micromanage me all the time for some reason or another (for no good rational reason, other than to make sure you "look busy") this job is a breath of fresh air - literally! I sit in my office and look out at sheep grazing on a hillside...so much better than the grey hulls of ships or the polished woodwork in senior staff offices, that's for darn sure.

Dave

Attached Images

• Turbines_Shiloh.JPG

Edited by Dave, 21 December 2011 - 09:45 AM.

#54 Nate

Nate
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 54,496
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:52 AM

Im a highschool Custodian! ;)
Well atleast untill I get my associates degree in mechanical engineering technology. Im going on my 4th semester in my degree so hopefully I can graduate soon so I can start raking in the real cash! :)

#55 normaninvasion

normaninvasion
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,253
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:29 AM

I am a carpenter/builder by trade, everyone knows how thats going :pinch: Working on my MA in history, little less taxing on the body. I also sell early American antiques, which is my main source for funds for collecting.

#56 bheskett

bheskett
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,384
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:17 AM

the government paid me to do things that kept you all safe under your "blanket " of democracy

yeah,,whatever,,,,ignorance really is bliss,,,,lots of blood was shed,,and many men lost,,,,
benn there done that,,,now I drive school bus,,, with a bum leg,,,,green beret to school bus driver ,,,nice

The Army must have prepared you well to brave being a school bus driver. Thanks for your service both with the Army and for the kids.

Bob

#57 bheskett

bheskett
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,384
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:23 AM

24 years as a book printer then decided I wanted to be with kids my own age. Now I teach middle school math and history. Love, Love, Love it:)

#58 rmoore456

rmoore456
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,034
  • 901 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:02 AM

I'm the plant manager for a 150 megawatt wind power plant. After spending 13 years in the military having someone breathe down my neck and micromanage me all the time for some reason or another (for no good rational reason, other than to make sure you "look busy") this job is a breath of fresh air - literally! I sit in my office and look out at sheep grazing on a hillside...so much better than the grey hulls of ships or the polished woodwork in senior staff offices, that's for darn sure.

Dave

Uh, those are horses! :pinch:

Ray

#59 Dave

Dave

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 209
  • 9,961 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:09 AM

Uh, those are horses! :pinch:

Ray

You know, I KNEW someone was going to say that! :lol: :lol:

That's also not out my office window. My office overlooks the pasture, but it does have a chain link fence with barbed wire between me and the pasture. I can look past that, but the last time I sent someone a picture out my office, they said: "Hey, I didn't know you were in prison!" :pinch:

So that is a photo of one of my rows of turbines where we also have wild horses as well...

Below is a photo of where my office is... :rolleyes:

Attached Images

• O_M_building.jpg

#60 carbinephalen

carbinephalen
  • Members
    • Member ID: 14,217
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:15 AM

Dave! You work at the windmills in the Altamont Pass?! I'd recognize that scenery anywhere. Holy cow, I've driven by those things quite a few times! My wife's parent's live near Modesto and we cross through there headed to the 'Bay. A truly beautiful drive! Cool :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)